The_Raw

UK Sea Containers House, London - April 2016

Wanted to have a crack at this one for ages, it's been done a lot over the years but seemed to have fallen off the radar since renovations took place. The scaffolding has now gone unfortunately. I headed up with @extreme_ironingand it didn't disappoint. Bit of a pain getting up there (or 'fun' as EI described it....) as they'd removed many of the ladders from the scaffolding but well worth the effort. Once up top it felt very exposed due to the brightly lit neon signs. We had to hide from police boats patrolling the Thames, not to mention the smokers on the balcony directly beneath us who were attending a full blown party on the top floor. The views were pretty decent up here but it's all about getting up close and personal with those neon signs which I won't ever look at in the same way again. Right, enough babble, some brief history of the place and some pics: 

Sea Containers House was originally conceived as a luxury hotel. Its location near to the City of London led to the decision to complete it instead as office space. Its name comes from the former long-term tenant, Sea Containers. In Spring 2011, a process began to gain planning permission for an extensive internal and external refurbishment of Sea Containers House. The east and west wings, which face the Thames remain offices, with global advertising and marketing agency Ogilvy & Mather moving in August 2015. The south wing was renovated as the Mondrian Hotel London, bringing at least part of the building back to its original intended use.

Most pics are mine with a few from extreme_ironing thrown in (no-ent.re).

1. The now completed Kings Reach Tower sits directly behind Sea Containers House (nicked this pic from google images because I'm too lazy to go back and take my own, sorry)

26193745412_9143210c88_b.jpg

2. It's difficult not to stand out like a sore thumb up here

25580854744_58d851dbc6_b.jpg

3. Blackfriars bridge & station with St Pauls Cathedral and the 3 Barbican towers in the background 

26093192132_e0ca15ac58_b.jpg

sc1200-2.jpg

5. Tower Wharf

25912419350_0648316ac3_b.jpg

6. London Eye in the background  

26118930581_579b0cbef4_c.jpg

7. London Television Centre, home of ITV

26159364906_b3087eda6f_b.jpg

26119179611_bf2728cee9_b.jpg

26119351131_1e8fc5c0f5_b.jpg

10. All about dem neon signs!

sc1200-1.jpg

sc1200-3.jpg

12. The Oxo Tower with Waterloo bridge in the distance

sc1200-4.jpg

25580768864_3687583d97_b.jpg

Thanks for looking :D 

Spot on you two. Do like the look of this and yes, I passed One Blackfriers the other day and thought, I must keep an eye on this, going to be 50 stories when its finished :)

Great set of pics mate

Really nice pictures, im very envious of the view, especially as I got caught in London trying to the a roof in canary Wharf and a dickhead secca kept me locked in a cabin for half an hour.

Holy fuckballs. That's some stunning pics ov London there. Fuck me. Neon and views epic bloody stuff. Gratz and more like this please lol.

On 11 April 2016 at 4:07 AM, coolboyslim said:

Holy fuckballs

times 10 :D 

Ace stuff mate :thumb 

Pic 4,10,11,12 are broken however?

Was absolutely gutted when I went to have a crack at this and the scaffolding stopped 2 bloody floors from the roof. Grrrrrrr!  I believe it's now been dismantled completely.

On 5/17/2016 at 11:33 AM, Maniac said:

Was absolutely gutted when I went to have a crack at this and the scaffolding stopped 2 bloody floors from the roof. Grrrrrrr!  I believe it's now been dismantled completely.

I can confirm that the scaffold is still there, but as you say, its about 2 floors short of the roof :(

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Lenston
      History 

The engineering company J.E. Billups of Cardiff who also constructed Mireystock Bridge and the masonry work on the Lydbrook viaduct commenced construction of the tunnel in 1872 using forest stone. The tunnel is 221 metres in length and took 2 years to construct. The tunnel allowed the connection of the Severn and Wye Valley railway running from Lydney with the Ross and Monmouth network at Lydbrook. The first mineral train passed through the tunnel on 16 August 1874. Passenger services commenced in September 1875 pulled by the engine Robin Hood.

The history of this section of line is not without incident - a railway ganger was killed in the tunnel by a train in 1893 and a locomotive was derailed by a fallen block of stone in the cutting at the northern entrance in 1898.
      The line officially closed to passenger trains in July 1929 but goods trains continued to use the line until the closure of Arthur & Edward Colliery at Waterloo in 1959 and Cannop Colliery in 1960. Lifting of the track was completed in 1962. The tunnel and cutting were buried with spoil in the early 1970's.

Thanks to the vision and enthusiasm of a group of local Forest railway enthusiasts assisted by Forest Enterprise the top of the northern portal of the tunnel (with its unusual elliptical shape) which has lain buried for 30 years has now been exposed. 
      As of 2018 the tunnel now still lays abandoned with no sign of the cycle track and the £50,000 funding seemingly gone to waste.

Pics

Thanks for looking
    • By jane doe
      I was passing here today on way home from work so called in to have a look ...Quite a nice little explore ☺️

• By UrbanBeginner1
      This church had been on my bucket list for a while and I finally got access, granted it happened last year. I don't know a lot of the history of the church, other than the congregation was founded by German immigrats in the 1800s. The origional church burned in the Chicago fire and a new one was constructed in 1904. In the 1910s Polish immigrants moved in and the German congregation declined in membership. It bounced back and years later in the 50s a large Puerto Rican population came in and spanish masses were offered for the first time. Membership throughout the 60s and 70s etc kept declining and in 1990 the church officially closed. The rectory, convent and school were all torn down. As for the chruch a development company owns it and want's to turn it into luxury condos and a music school. 

• By Ferox
      I first had a look at this spot in 2015. Almost three years on the place has been knocked about a bit and it seemed stripped somehow from the last visit. Did not spend that long in here. As I parked up an old lady drove passed paying more attention to the my car than I liked, so I blasted round in about twenty minutes ☺️ When I came out an old chap drove passed again paying a lot of attention to myself and the car. Country Watch in full swing ☺️ Nice to see the place again but, it did appear to have lost something over the three years.

Thanks for Looking

More pics on my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/albums/72157669030838798/with/28272201358/
    • By Ferox
      Had a look at this place on a recent trip to Scotland. Very decayed and stripped this one but never the less still a nice spot for a look around. There was some lovely tiles still in place in parts of the hospital which I liked. I do like a bit of old tile work  There was a lot of kids toys dotted about also which seemed strange and  out of place. We almost bumped into a couple of people who turned up while we where there but, they must have heard us inside and ran off. Maybe they had mistaken our low talking for the rustle of feathers A nice relaxed explore this, for us anyway, on a nice sunny afternoon. Visited with non member Paul.

Thanks for Looking

More pics on my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/albums/72157694792372572/with/41878484015/