mookster

UK Houghton Grange Animal Labs April 2016

Ever since I started becoming interested in derelict buildings, Houghton Grange was always somewhere I had wanted to visit but for one reason or another I never found myself in the right place, or with the right people, or whatever. However with plans for this weekend changed I was left with a free day so I hastily got on the phone to an old exploring friend and asked if he was about - after a discussion with his wife he told me he was able to come out and play so off we went Cambridgeshire-bound.

First stop was for me to show him the Old Rectory Care Home, which I found a whole load more depressing than when I first saw it in the summer - the floors have turned from 'minor deathtrap' to 'outright lethal' in a few short months and the water pouring through from the rain lashing down gave the whole place a real dark, dank feeling that I don't think either of us really enjoyed. So it was onwards to the main target of Houghton Grange and after a trek across the fields we made our way in. The site has clusters of buildings spread over a large area centred around the old manor house which is flanked by two sets of modern buildings. We explored for a while, it's a shame the place is so samey for the most part but then we got to the part of the site which has been dubbed 'Lab X' by other explorers. This building is almost completely dark inside and has an atmosphere to match, I always thought the old BIBRA labs in Carshalton that served a similar purpose which I explored a good few years ago would have been the only one to give me the jitters like that. The building is different to all others on site, the laboratory doors are thick reinforced jobbies doubled up with airlocks and there are extremely creepy concave plexiglass windows looking into each room. After that my friend had had enough - he was with me on the BIBRA explore too - and as time was chopping on anyway we made our exit.

The place has been done a million times before so I won't bother with the history, it was an animal research lab, lots of nasty stuff happened there, thats all you really need and probably want to know.

26236936922_065edbe3e8_b.jpg

26056479450_75fd275de6_b.jpg

26263117751_6209f728ce_b.jpg

26303384816_ab16433112_b.jpg

26056471550_a0a87b161d_b.jpg

25726567953_ae7465bc0e_b.jpg

26303378686_09fda60700_b.jpg

26263108381_00cd612c24_b.jpg

25724465424_90dc2a151a_b.jpg

26056460080_63623ece5b_b.jpg

25726556453_c6f84df5f1_b.jpg

25726550743_a6a0f97086_b.jpg

26303358876_c7e3a021ae_b.jpg

26329314305_0d8938d302_b.jpg

25726543373_0d630b98c2_b.jpg

26236895852_132decb094_b.jpg

26303354536_98bbfa8274_b.jpg

26303353196_af5ac9c096_b.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

Didn't this get posted a few days ago or am I getting confused? Sure I saw it pop up and then disappear again

Not much left here now is there, I have heard loads about the place though :)

6 hours ago, Urbexbandoned said:

Didn't this get posted a few days ago or am I getting confused? Sure I saw it pop up and then disappear again

Not much left here now is there, I have heard loads about the place though :)

If it was it wasn't mine unless I travelled back in time.

The site is huge but not a lot left inside. Lab X is the best bit.

Had a good nosey around this place at weekend...avoided the two guards as looked very unfriendly.

Found many many doors wide open...wasnt expecting that.

Did hear some rumours it's now being built on,or at least in the next few months or so ive heard through the vine.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By btn_urbex
      HISTORY
      Tenterden Town railway station is a heritage railway station on the Kent and East Sussex Railway in Tenterden, Kent, England.

When the railway line first opened in 1900, Rolvenden Station was known as "Tenterden". Its name was changed when the line extended north three years later and a station closer to Tenterden was constructed. The new Tenterden Town station opened on 16 March 1903.The line closed for regular passenger services on 4 January 1954 and all traffic in 1961. It reopened on 3 February 1974 under the aegis of the Tenterden Railway Company which bought the line between Tenterden and Bodiam. The station now houses the KESR's Carriage and Wagon works, and the Colonel Stephens Museum is located nearby.

EXPLORE
      So we set out on our explore with a list of places We wanted to check out. After a few not amounting to much and the next couple being total fails, we parked up and regrouped! 
      The  Tenterden site had been on my radar for a while (although I couldn’t be 100% about it’s location) so after a little discussion we decided to take a chance and head out to try and find the Lost Railway and its Train Graveyard.
      We headed toward the closest point by road, parked up and set off along a short path way. The area was really quiet apart from the odd dog walker.  After literally five minutes we knew we were in the right place and could see the abandoned trains hidden amongst the trees.  Access was easy literally a small hop over the fence and down the bank, there they were! 
      Its the first time any of us had ever done an explore of this nature and it was amazing... 
      Anyway here are some of the pictures we took throughout the explore.
      Thanks for reading 😊

• By urbexdevil
      With an ever lasting itch to explore a prison or police station that needed scratching, the time came to explore Brentwood Police Station. Unfortunately solo but a great explore despite!

So after finding a good access point and choosing my moment wisely between passers by, I found myself within the grounds of the police station and soon inside.
      The building is mostly stripped out and a bare shell but that wasn’t the main sight to see, I had my mind set on finding the cells! After trying every door it was just my luck they were in the last place I looked.
      Attempting the court house adjacent the police station proved unsuccessful.

History courtesy of Mockney Reject

• By crabb
      An independent members only club, dedicated to the working man who required a certain place for private meetings and events. 
      This place has a little bit of everything. Dark, creepy unlit rooms, and rooms where light was still flourishing through the gaps and crevices. 
      It has had many aliases since the buildings birth in the 1920's and had less than 300 members.
      Along the many years the workmens club was usually packed full of people, to the point you couldn't even move. 
      Slowly but surely however the club started to lose money as members became scarce. It couldn't pay it's own way and since the number of members started dwindling,
      the Workmans club had to close its doors to the few remaining loyal members. 
      Now sits empty and has done for more than 6 years now.
      Hopefully the building can see new life in the near future, but for me it was good to get an unusual view of the club.
      Cheers for looking!

• By crabb
      As usual with our explores, they are never really a walk in the park. Access to the building itself was a challenge as the top area in which we needed to go was locked off completely. Thankfully, being quite adapted to the tasks at hand, we managed to ride on top of a lift to gain access to the building. 
      Once inside it was clear that the building was in quite a bad state. Natural erosion has started eating away at the 60 year old building, and rust can be found throughout.
      Pigeons were lurking in the crevices and the whole place smelt of damp. 
      The building was a former office block but has been abandoned for 20 or more years.
      Here is some of the best photos we managed to get. Thanks for looking! 
      C

P.S - Check out our channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/Kirbsvids