KarlPhoto365

UK The Ark, Liverpool (Sept 15)

The Ark (Greenbank Synagogue) Liverpool.

Hit this with Lavino,, Woopsahoopaa and a few others from other forums in Sep 15. I know its late but why not hey?

After a fail down at Cains we headed here and with a snap, crackle and pop, we were in!

History:

Built in 1936, the historic building has played a part in some of the city�s most important events over the last 79 years, including acting as a refuge for homeless families during the Blitz.

However, after the congregation dwindled to less than 40, there was only one service held per week and it was eventually shut down in 2007. Also known as The Ark, the Synagogue�s demise was partly due to the falling Jewish population in the city which over the last century went from 11,000 to just 3,000. Despite being closed, it was given Grade II* listed status to ensure its survival. In 2010, it was put on the �at risk� register by Historic England. In more recent years, the mammoth building has benefited from �70,000 worth of rescue funding, �51,000 from English Heritage and the rest from Liverpool City Council. The money, which was spent mainly on repairing the roof, made the building weather-proof, which is vital in ensuring it finds a suitable occupier. After the congregation left the synagogue, in 2008 there were plans drawn up to turn it into flats but ultimately they did not come to fruition.

P9126480_zpsnkmxut0v.jpg

P9126454_zps2kz62vog.jpg

P9126447_zpshi9egq8v.jpg

P9126443_zpswev4l7vq.jpg

P9126439_zpsp0wx8j7l.jpg

P9126432_zpstsxjtgpr.jpg

P9126428_zpsyg8lmw5f.jpg

P9126415_zpsad2uwyqs.jpg

P9126410_zpskvu3kpur.jpg

Thanks for looking folks ;)

Edited by Dubbed Navigator
Editing photo bucket links

3 minutes ago, Lavino said:

Not seen this pop up in a while wonder what's going on there now.

Heard its sealed up again mate...or at least where we got in....im sure it will pop up again..

Still think this is one of the best sites to explore in the UK, I travelled from London to see it and was worth every minute. Nowhere else like it :thumb 

1 hour ago, The_Raw said:

Still think this is one of the best sites to explore in the UK, I travelled from London to see it and was worth every minute. Nowhere else like it :thumb 

It does have a certain appeal.  Like Joe's and the like :)

Great place this mate and good to see it again. Had a quick sniff around here a few months ago at the end of a long day but didn't attempt access as it was far too light for how overlooked it was :( 

:comp: 

On 19/04/2016 at 10:47 PM, Paul_c said:

Cool photatoes Man, hope you are keeping good mate 

Hi Paul....thanks mate.  These are taken on my old Olympus so quality not that great...look at my George Barnsleys report for better images (IMO haha) 

Have to meet up again soon :thumb

On 19/04/2016 at 10:08 PM, hamtagger said:

Great place this mate and good to see it again. Had a quick sniff around here a few months ago at the end of a long day but didn't attempt access as it was far too light for how overlooked it was :( 

:comp: 

It is overlooked mate, yes, but I dont think anyone gives a crap...when we went it was heaving with dog walkers and locals.....  (Probs why it is sealed up again! :oops:)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Luke_z_Olomoca
      Hi, something about Libava.
      I'm sorry for my bad English.
      Libavá is a military space in the Czech Republic with an area of 320km2. There are several dozen mines there. The slate has been cultivated here since the 16th century and has left its remains in the landscape. Before World War II there were 24 villages. Since 1946, all public space has been inaccessible. The army is being trained here and entry is strictly forbidden.
      Slate bearing on the Olomouc Hill is one of the largest in Central Europe. According to surveys from 1947, the power reaches up to 100 m. The slate was broken in the 16th century, the extraction was gained after 1832. In 1889, due to the long and hard winters, which considerably reduced the surface mining, deep mining was started; down to 500 miners worked. In the years 1915-1932, mining was stopped, then about 150 employees worked (under WWII for two hundred prisoners of war). Mining was terminated after the establishment of military space. Attempts to rebuild mining took place in 1992-94, a new exploration pit was thrown out, but the mismatch of potential extraction with the military drilling regime was cut off from plans.
      I managed to get into one mine where it was mined by 2002. The mine is not directly in the military space, but corridors that are several kilometers long lead there. The mine has 3 floors. The top floor is only 200 meters long and it has a 50-meter deep shaft that serves for ventilation.
      2nd floor has a covered entrance, it can only be reached from the 1st floor using climbing equipment (the connection is 30 meters high).
      I shot from this video, trying to capture the underground in all its beauty.
      Enjoy
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZUXFE_qa2o
    • By crabb
      Falcon house. It's been in Swindon since the early days of this towns birth and has been sat empty and abandoned for 16 years.  
      It was said to be the very first headquarters for the well known company zurich, an insurance company, but was promptly moved to a more practical and efficient property.
      The old office block is situated in Swindon town centre on top of a car park right near the entrance to town, which is an eye sore to some but a worthy explore for us. 
      There was nothing much left, only old phones and some really old school computer stuff. 
      It was the view at the end of the video that made it all worth it, being the second highest point in the town aside from the john murray building.  What a view! 
      So please enjoy this video by my good friend and make sure to check out the channel! Have fun out there,
      C

• By Alexurbex
      This place was a restaurant, incredible restaurant!!

• By jane doe
      Snowdown was the deepest colliery in Kent reaching well over 3,000 ft (915 metres). It was also the hottest and most humid pit in Kent and was given the name 'Dante's Inferno' by the miners. Regarded by many as the worst pit to work at in Britain, most Snowdown miners worked naked because clothes became too uncomfortable. The miners could consume around 24 pints (14 lires) of water in an 8-hour shift. There were frequent cases of heat stroke.

Snowdown closed in 1987

• By jane doe
      Established in 1926, G.L. Murphy was a family run business and supplied bespoke machinery to the tanning industry, as well as building rag cutting and cable stripping machinery.  The company also provide refurbishment and renovation works for various machinery types.