• Similar Content

• By a World in Ruins
      First post on here guys so hope it works!
      Tipped off by a friend Matt about this house I decided to go one cold winter morning to see it for myself on a solo run. Entry into the house a tricky assault course through the overgrown garden which hasn't been tended to for decades by the look of it. 
      A very peculiar house this in that its location is in a sleepy little village of pure chocolate box quintessential Englishness. A more  desirable a place to live would be hard to find to get away form the chaos of city life. Clean air and peaceful surroundings, the parish church all capture the imagination yet this house contradicts everything around it.

Somewhat derelict with overgrown gardens, a rusty old iron gate with a disappearing path leading up to the house don't fit in to its surroundings. What the local residents make of it I'd love to know. Why it has been left to fall into such a bad state is anyone's guess. I would imagine the house itself is worth a lot of money having 4 bedrooms and a lot of land regardless of the location which I'd imagine to be quite expensive to live in. Doesn't anyone own the house and if so why have they just left it for so long to fall into disrepair? It's not really secured either so it doesn't seem like anyone ever goes to the house to check on it. Very strange.

From the decor and the possessions still left inside I'd date it becoming abandoned around the mid 1980s. Piles and piles of newspapers - mainly The Daily Mail & The Telegraph - clutter each room. Using a tripod proved tricky as the floors were covered in stacks of old newspapers. The most recent date I could find without checking all the hundreds left around was 1984. Maybe one of the former residents was a hoarder of newspapers? In the entire house there were literally thousands left behind no room escaped their occupancy.

There were few clues as to who lived here, just names on envelopes which obviously won't be revealed. What their occupations were I have no idea. Downstairs were two reception rooms littered with vintage possessions including several televisions a typewriter a Bakelite rotary telephone amongst other things. The most interesting items were the framed portraits of children. Who were they and where are they now? Piles of old photographs and personal documents were left behind on the writing/study desk seemingly unwanted by anyone. 

A double split staircase leads to the upstairs bedrooms. Two were empty so weren't photographed, the other two still had everything left behind including clothes and yet more newspapers. 

I always think that every abandoned home must have an owner somewhere. It seems this one - despite its obvious appeal to potential buyers - seems to be truly abandoned with no one left to have any interest in it. 

Enjoy the images

• By masodo
      HISTORY

wiki text: Riverside Amusement Park was an amusement park in Indianapolis, Indiana, USA from 1903 to 1970. Originating as a joint venture between engineer/amusement park developer Frederick Ingersoll and Indianapolis businessmen J. Clyde Power, Albert Lieber, and Bert Fiebleman and Emmett Johnson, the park was built by Ingersoll's Pittsburgh Construction Company adjacent to Riverside City Park at West 30th Street between White River and the Central Canal in the Riverside subdivision of Indianapolis.

The decade of the 1960s was not a kind one for Riverside Amusement Park, which was losing attendance for the first time since the end of World War II. By the time John Coleman lifted the "whites only" policy (in response to a series of protests organized by the NAACP Youth Council in 1963), the park was losing $30,000 a year.

Increased cost of insurance, maintenance, and new rides, coupled with increased competition from the emerging theme parks, were cited by Coleman as the park closed for the last time at the end of the 1970 season. All the rides were sold or demolished by 1978.

The land lay undisturbed for more than two decades, until the construction of the River's Edge subdivision in the early 2000s.

===========================================================================================================================================

STORY
      In 1979 my buddies and I heard that they were getting ready to bulldoze the site of the long defunct Riverside Amusement Park in Indianapolis so we decided to drive by to get a final look. When we got there we were amazed to find easy access to the grounds. With my trusty Practica LLC at hand we ventured within and explored for several minutes until we came to the stark realization that this neglected plot of land had become the home to countless wild dogs. Picking up debris for clubs we beat a hasty retreat (pausing of course for a commemorative selfie.)

The pictures were taken on 35mm slide film...  Back in 2005 I came across the slides and crapily scanned them using a junky flat-bed scanner and used those images to create the Animated GIF below to send cross country via email to one of the krew.

If there is a prize for worst images on OS these would surely take it - but even in this 'State' they trigger memories of that adventure; so in that they are still doing their job...

Impressionists Views of Riverside Amusement Park (circa 1979)

I opened this GIF and extracted the individual images and tried to enhance them to some degree.
      I then repackaged thumbnails of these into a fresh GIF that is marginally more effective than the original.
      (shown at end of report)

Ticket Booth

Shoot 25¢

From Inside Ring-Toss

Main Attraction

The Weed-lined Path

Wheee!

Domed (Doomed) Skating Rink

Three scared cats in a dog park! (that's me on the right rockin' the Frampton 'do)

Take Two

If I ever come across the original transparencies again I will have to get some proper enlargements made.
    • By darbians
      So this place had some really funky décor Only a few shots from here, no history to be found. I believe it is now empty and being refurbished.
      Pretty In Pink

• By sj9966
      What was originally going to be a trip to Derby turned into a visit here which is a completely different town altogether! Derby will have to wait for another day!
      Built in 1888 by local builders Bradney & Co, it was originally used to manufacture Hansom Cabs (taken from a plaque outside on the wall) and I'm not sure when it was taken over by the wallpaper company but that company is still in existence today operating from a new premises.
      A real cool old building, practically un chaved with plenty of stuff left inside.
      Visited with Rusty & Webby
      On with the pictures

• By Timster1973
      Evening all,
      Atelier Decor is a house with plasterer's workshop in a small Belgium village. The house had a few nice details but the main attraction was in the workshop out back. The owner before his death, used to produce various plaster moulds and decorative items for the local parks, houses and business in the area. It was crowd scenes in there when we arrived as we bumped into 5 German explorers on their way out.

Thanks for looking in.