• Similar Content

• By Beneficial-Cucumber
      This was originally a tandem mill for Wheeling-Pitt steel when it was opened, after it's closure about 12 years ago, it was bought by another steel firm - RG, this lasted until 2012, after it's closure, several of the outer buildings were used by a fracking firm that eventually pulled out in early 2017. Demolition started about a year ago and progress has been swift unfortunately. I apologize that some of the photos aren't that great of quality, I intend to do a revisit soon. I gotta watch for the cameras though lol

• By MK17SWL
      This city is one of the best spots I have been and was a blast to explore. I had to go back a second time to cover the whole area; first in September 2018 and again in Late November. Picher Oklahoma was part of the Tri-State mining district, and was deemed contaminated in the late 90's by the EPA. A mass exodus followed and by 2010 the population had reached a mere 20 people, a shadow of what was once home to 9,000 people. Within the next 2 years the last residents were forced to leave and the city became completely abandoned. Although some buildings have been demolished, quite a few areas remain intact in both Picher and Cardin, which is adjacent and also a ghost town. All 3 towns nearby were also abandoned due to contamination from Picher. Today Picher is known as the most toxic city in the United States, and the water in the nearby streams and river is orange and red. Even the birds stay away, and the town is deathly silent. 

• By MK17SWL
      I came across this mining camp known as "Bonnie Claire" on a road trip in December of 2018. It has been abandoned for over 100 years so it is unsurprisingly badly deteriorated. The area is also contaminated with arsenic and cyanide, but of course that didn't stop me. A couple of the houses about half a klick south appear to be part of a newer mining operation and there is evidence they actually had power out here. Someone spent a few nights in one of the houses as recently as 2017, given the date on the newspapers.

• By Beneficial-Cucumber
      Carrie Furnace Hot Metal Bridge. This spanned the Monongahela River to a large blast furnace complex which was abandoned in the 70s along with this bridge. It was built in 1900 and is 51 ft high. 

• By Beneficial-Cucumber
      I couldn't find much info on this, the interior was pretty stripped and bare. Some of the graffiti was killer though