Wevsky

UK Godstone Main series & Marden Mine Surey 2016

These two are something myself and Obscurity had discussed and researched a fair bit and then when we where both at a loose end Boxing day 2014 we decided to go seek both and check out our options of access after a few visits and a lot of leg work we came back scratching our heads,fast forward to earlier this year and i spotted a few random pics from @silentwalker from Godstone so after a chat and exchange of info about the underground locations in the area he kindly included us in his finds..Thanks for that mate and was good to catch up with you in Marden :D

Brief and general history of Godstone Hill Quarries ..

"The Godstone Hill Quarries are similar to the Chaldon Quarries except that they are more recent and date back to the late 17thC, most of the extant workings are from the 18thC. There are quite a number of separate quarries that have merged or divided over the years; today there are four major quarries there of which Godstone Main Series is the largest and best known.
The quarries were worked for firestone initially and later phases of working had plate-ways laid along the main haulage routes which still survive. Later the quarries were re-worked for hearthstone. After this they were used as mushroom farms in the early 20thC and then fell derelict between the wars. Some of the quarries were used for storage during WW2. Main Series has several miles of open passage and even today provides a fascinating study of a quarry that has both pre and post industrial revolution features"

Godstone first..

This one was visited with Spaceinvader,Urbanginger and Obscurity and as much as we had wanted in for a long time it just didn't get my juices flowing as much as Marden!

pics..

26020631242_7385e11995_b.jpg

25510551983_a919235344_b.jpg

26020667202_19bc5c9a7c_c.jpg 

25840395700_6bc7acc256_c.jpg

26020725032_824de86525_b.jpg

25508459524_bf9e1ee894_b.jpg

Now onto Marden where i may have nearly knocked myself out running through a doorway and not stooping low enough to avoid a lump on the head :gay

Brief copied history from the WCMS website.

"Marden Mine is the easternmost of the major quarries along Godstone Hill. This is very similar to Main Series with an almost identical development and usage. This quarry was also a secure store during WW2 and continued to be worked for hearthstone for a short period after WW2.
The area around Marden Mine is riddled with numerous smaller holes and collapses indicating the remains of more hearthstone mines - sadly this type of mining is incompatible with stable or long-lasting passages and most have now fallen in"

Visited with Obscurity Starlight  Silent walker his mate porker of the night,nice to meet you guys

Pics..

27266205290_d812e6883c_b.jpg

26933335924_1daf4407d0_b.jpg

26934155873_9c89e5d66b_c.jpg

26934146773_eb9b87f30d_c.jpg

27266152700_08c2013697_b.jpg

27443961702_eb31386ef3_b.jpg

27508276376_f19a930d44_b.jpg

27508238046_efb32386dc_b.jpg

26934068393_97e4589a84_b.jpg

Really good to get in to see both of these ,again thanks to Silentwalker for the much appreciated input :thumb

Some great pics there mate, love the shadows your lighting has created.

Fantastic photos, really great light painting. I'm relatively local to Godstone so this seems to a great spot to visit soon.

1 minute ago, Gromr123 said:

Fantastic photos, really great light painting. I'm relatively local to Godstone so this seems to a great spot to visit soon.

It's looked after by the wcms  mate and well locked up ;)

Looks somewhat cleaner in there than when I went back in 2009 (ish) - the WCMS must have been working down there quite a bit. 

There's two other mines in the area that are all part of the same set I believe. 

Nicely photographed @Wevsky :) 

5 minutes ago, Maniac said:

Looks somewhat cleaner in there than when I went back in 2009 (ish) - the WCMS must have been working down there quite a bit. 

There's two other mines in the area that are all part of the same set I believe. 

Nicely photographed @Wevsky :) 

There are many small workings close to marden mainly collapsed in so very small areas to squeeze into and over the years godstone itself has comprised of several smaller mines that have been dug through but yes there are some others fairly closr also looked after by thewcms chaps