True_British_Metal

UK Former BBC Manchester Oxford Road crane, June 2016

Visited with Slipdrix.

I never thought I'd be sat up here. Really, I thought after all the crap that went down after my last crane climb 5 years ago in April 2011 (although funnily enough, I never got hit by it all), I would never do one again. I did actually try One First Street in Manchester with Ptchaw back in ~2013 when the entire site had about 7 cranes on site, protected by CCTV and a patrolling guard, but instantly tripping an external PIR put paid to that and I never tried again. Besides, I never truly felt comfortable up a crane; firstly the sensation that being unshielded from wind left me feeling like my camera would blow off the side! The worst however is never having anywhere to hide if security spot you; in my head it's a near equivalent to getting caught naked... in public... with nowhere to run!

I didn't want to do this at first, but Slipdrix insisted we get out and try it, and in hindsight it was rewarding. Very, very rewarding. Expecting it to be an absolute fortress, getting in was actually far easier than expected. Not a soul in sight, and little in our way to stop us getting around. Just get in the base, make your way up as fast as possible and don't mess around.

That's exactly what I did.

27394615300_b218d03a8c_b.jpg

27394590300_eb6e238974_b.jpg

27060954864_2d1ab28cc4_b.jpg

The photos were taken at ISO100 wherever possible, but other times there was nothing to stick the camera on so I switched to AUTO ISO which made the pictures a little grainy.

27673042345_48d2fe4531_b.jpg

27394568640_98d3d11ff0_b.jpg

27637793686_133f37bbca_b.jpg

27598438841_f33274d677_b.jpg

So there we have it, my first crane for 5 years. Maybe I'll do some more in the future, because the photo opportunities really are rewarding. Unfortunately I dunno if I'll ever be able to shake the fear of being seen, so I don't think I'll ever actively seek out to do them in the future. But who knows?

Coming down, we did actually get spotted, albeit not by the site security. Opposite is a building currently being renovated, and under scaffold. Halfway down we saw him come out to do a patrol, but afterwards he didn't actually leave. He just stood outside the cabin door, basking in the night air or having a cigarette perhaps. There was no way he couldn't see us by this point, so we heard a loud whistle. We couldn't stop then, and he was effectively powerless so our only choice really was to run away back where we came from. Somehow we got out and pulled it off without a hitch. Fantastic.

Thanks for reading. Love as always,

TBM x

Nice one! I know what you mean about cranes, it's not so bad once you're up there, but the risk of being spotted while climbing it are high until you're a certain distance off the ground. Well done for giving it a shot! :) 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Jake Alan Crag
      Hey everyone, so I'm pretty sure everyone's heard of this place so i dont really need to explain much about it, but if you haven't, below is a brief history of Denbigh Mental Asylum.

Grade 2 Listed building.
      Built work started in 1844
      Building work completed in 1848

Built to house up to 200 patients with psychiatric illnesses. In the early 1900's it housed 1537 patients (Approx).
      The hospital had its own farm and gas works.
      Planned for closure by Enoch Powellin the 1960's, however it only began closing in sections between 1991-1995.

Nurses Quarters:

This is genuinely one of the best condition buildings that i have ever explored.

Most of the lower floor windows were covered in either ivy or thick vines, so it got quite dark in some sections of the building.

Now for the hospital itself, my personal favorite photos:

Thanks for reading,
      Make sure to check out my youtube channel Jake Alan Craig for the video and my instagram @exploring_with_jake for regular abandoned photos.

#WereJustTrespassing

• By jane doe
      Snowdown was the deepest colliery in Kent reaching well over 3,000 ft (915 metres). It was also the hottest and most humid pit in Kent and was given the name 'Dante's Inferno' by the miners. Regarded by many as the worst pit to work at in Britain, most Snowdown miners worked naked because clothes became too uncomfortable. The miners could consume around 24 pints (14 lires) of water in an 8-hour shift. There were frequent cases of heat stroke.

Snowdown closed in 1987

• By jane doe
      Established in 1926, G.L. Murphy was a family run business and supplied bespoke machinery to the tanning industry, as well as building rag cutting and cable stripping machinery.  The company also provide refurbishment and renovation works for various machinery types. 

• By crabb
      Built in 1871 but had been refurbished at some point.
       Now, I don't do heights.. So I was chuffed to see my mate practically run towards it in excitement and go first. It was pretty high and the grated floor was not ideal if you wanted to avoid looking down. 
      The tower probably stands around 40-50 ft but exact measurements are unknown at this point.
      Apart from the odd clanging of metal under our footsteps and how wobbly it was, it was a good first climb like this for me!
      Got some snaps as usual, enjoy! 

• By jane doe
      A little gem of a place ...went here when  it was guarded by a very irrate bull lol