Sign in to follow this  
hamtagger

UK Middlewood Asylum Chapel, Wadsley - January 2016

Middlewood/South Yorkshire Asylum Chapel 

The Explore..

Visited with @Urbexbandoned after a mooch around George Barnsley's earlier in the day and into the afternoon. Not sure what the fuck was going on with my camera but it completely died in here after only about 10 photos despite having a twin battery grip fitted and has lasted for 3 days exploring in the past. Maybe a combination of lots of long exposures/live view usage in the previous location and the very cold weather, i'll never know, but as Tracey can vouch for - I was over the moon at this development. I took some more snaps with her camera, thank you, and a few shitty ones on my phone so quite a short report. Luckily it was only a quick sniff around Loxley next as we only had about 30 mins of daylight left after being here and as you all know Loxley is a shit-hole derp.

The History..(Stolen)

After its closure, the land of the former Hospital was purchased for residential development by Bloor Homes. It was sold off to various other developers such as Redrow,

Barratt, Harron Homes, Wimpey and PJ Livesey although Bloor’s were the major house builder for the new Wadsley Park estate which was constructed on the site of the old hospital. The Wadsley Park village consists of a mixture of houses and apartments of various sizes. Some of the old hospital structures were designated as listed buildings, the main admin block (the clock tower), Kingswood ward, the church and the porters lodge were all grade II listed and could not be demolished with the rest of the hospital.

The administration building and clock tower were converted into 38 luxury apartments by Urbani after permission to demolish the building was denied and the building is now known as Middlewood Lodge. The Kingswood ward has been converted into 85 apartments by developers PJ Livesey and is known as Kingswood Hall. The porter's lodge on Middlewood Road has been refurbished and is now a nursery. The hospital church has been derelict for many years, it held its last service on 6 November 1996 to mark the closure of the hospital. In March 2012 plans were submitted by architectural design consultancy Coda Studios that may see the imposing Victorian church converted into a mixture of town houses and apartments. The scheme which needs approval from Sheffield City Council also contains proposals for a selection of partially underground eco-friendly bungalows beneath the building.

The Pictures..

26667159423_7c32057266_b.jpg

27272866445_d8247e4771_b.jpg

27272856345_e2ff516ef6_b.jpg

27202647431_0e8fac5ee9_b.jpg

26666974113_6da7f7a3d9_b.jpg

26666982103_62244b4dba_b.jpg

27239020166_813f64a321_b.jpg

As always thanks for looking and feedback always appreciated :thumb 

Nice church, people travel to Belgium for less. Some nice pics and report pal. 

lol, fun day this one. I remember it well. Camera was working fine. I just took one look at you when you said your camera had died and the words toys and pram came to mind haha. Glad I came to the rescue with my trusty old Nikon though :P 

I loved this little place, would have been superb to have seen it with the pews, but pretty cool architechture all the same and not something you come across much over here :) Great pics :thumb 

On 26 June 2016 at 10:49 AM, Lenston said:

Some good snaps to be had there mate :) 

Thanks Lee :thumb 

On 26 June 2016 at 0:34 PM, Lavino said:

Nice trev looks like st josephs church in Wigan but doubt it has as much pigeon shit lol

Cheers Lav :thumb 

On 26 June 2016 at 0:34 PM, Andy said:

Nice one. I especially like the third shot.

Thanks Andy :thumb 

On 26 June 2016 at 5:41 PM, Vulex said:

Nice church, people travel to Belgium for less. Some nice pics and report pal. 

Much appreciated Paul :thumb 

On 27 June 2016 at 2:18 AM, coolboyslim said:

Nice one m8ty . Some nice shots even with ya cam issues . Thx for posting

Cheers CBS :thumb 

On 27 June 2016 at 8:50 AM, The_Raw said:

That's fucking cool mate, very reminiscent of a couple of churches I've been to in Belgium. :thumb 

:comp: 

Thanks Damo :thumb 

On 28 June 2016 at 9:40 PM, Vief said:

that piano is nice !!

Thanks Vief :thumb 

10 minutes ago, Urbexbandoned said:

lol, fun day this one. I remember it well. Camera was working fine. I just took one look at you when you said your camera had died and the words toys and pram came to mind haha. Glad I came to the rescue with my trusty old Nikon though :P 

I loved this little place, would have been superb to have seen it with the pews, but pretty cool architechture all the same and not something you come across much over here :) Great pics :thumb 

Nikon Schmikon :D