Jump to content
hamtagger

UK Hardys and Hansons Brewery, Nottinghamshire - February 2016

Recommended Posts

Hardys and Hansons Brewery

 

The Explore

 

Visited with @Urbexbandoned. After checking out some other potential new sites in the area that day and having no luck with those, we found ourselves near here and

decided to swing by and have a look. Was quite surprised to find that it still had quite a bit to be seen despite the fact that demolition seemed to be well under way, and a new housing development was slowly eating into another little piece of British brewing history rectangle monopoly house at a time.

 

The History (Stolen)

 

The Kimberley Brewery was established and operated by the brewer Hardys & Hansons, and has a heritage dating from 1832. It was, at the time of closure, the oldest independent brewery in Nottinghamshire. Samuel Robinson opened the first commercial brewery in Kimberley, Nottinghamshire, England, in a rented bake-house using water from the Alley Spring in what is now called Hardy Street. Stephen Hanson meanwhile built Hansons Limited on Brewery Street in 1847, also using water from the Alley Spring. William & Thomas Hardy were successful beer merchants from Heanor who bought Samuel Robinsons brewery in 1857.

The brewery complex which remains today is largely based on the buildings erected by the Hardy brothers in 1861 when they moved out of the old bake-house. In the same year, Stephen Hanson died and his business was carried on by his wife Mary and son Robert. There was much friendly rivalry between the two brewing companies who proceeded to buy pubs throughout the area to supply with their own ales.

Both breweries began to run short of water and so by mutual agreement the water from the local Holly Well spring was shared between them.  Having been attracted by the supply of excellent brewing water from the Holly Well, both breweries thrived independently until 1930, when under increasing pressure from larger brewing companies, and from a lack of male successors to the Hardy's Brewery, the two companies combined.

In 2006, The Hardys & Hansons Kimberley Brewery and all of its public houses were sold in a multi-million pound deal to Greene King brewery, who decided to end the brewing tradition in Kimberley in "a cost effective move" and then sell the Kimberley site. They moved the distribution centre to Eastwood and the continued brewing of a limited number of their beers moved to the main Greene King site at Bury St Edmunds. In December 2010 the site was bought by the Leicester-based Alif Group ahead of an auction due to take place; paying more than the auction guide price of £1.25million, the brewery site having originally been valued at the time of the sale to Greene King at £5 -6 millions. Alif Group are a bathroom wholesaler so it is likely that the site will be used as a store for their products.

 

The Pictures

 

1.

27942564092_e0ea28a883_b.jpg

 

2.

27943703732_0cab0ddeb2_b.jpg

 

3.

28010443326_ba48a5fc7c_b.jpg

 

4.

28010439736_8154492d34_b.jpg

 

5.

27764431300_89f577ff2b_b.jpg

 

6.

27764439700_753d8d405e_b.jpg

 

7.

27967444581_7287508398_b.jpg

 

8.

27431018553_f40cc0395a_b.jpg

 

9.

28046894775_08602ac04b_b.jpg

 

10.

27967447261_89489292d8_b.jpg

 

11.

27431006053_4dd1f71efe_b.jpg

 

12.

27764484660_12c3d2b826_b.jpg

 

13.

27430992753_9d2eabacb1_b.jpg

 

14.

27430996033_75383ede5c_b.jpg

 

15.

27431016403_155f4d4a16_b.jpg

 

16.

27764437520_1a827ce950_b.jpg

 

17.

27764478210_640f3463f5_b.jpg

 

As always, thanks for looking and feedback always appreciated :thumb 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Similar Content

    • By jane doe
      Snowdown was the deepest colliery in Kent reaching well over 3,000 ft (915 metres). It was also the hottest and most humid pit in Kent and was given the name 'Dante's Inferno' by the miners. Regarded by many as the worst pit to work at in Britain, most Snowdown miners worked naked because clothes became too uncomfortable. The miners could consume around 24 pints (14 lires) of water in an 8-hour shift. There were frequent cases of heat stroke.

      Snowdown closed in 1987










    • By jane doe
      Established in 1926, G.L. Murphy was a family run business and supplied bespoke machinery to the tanning industry, as well as building rag cutting and cable stripping machinery.  The company also provide refurbishment and renovation works for various machinery types. 












    • By crabb
      What's left of the south marston hotel, remains an empty, scorched shell. Not much to see on this one, and I am way to late but hey, it still provides an eerie vibe. And the photos came out pretty good too. Thanks,
      C









    • By jane doe
      Predannack opened in 1941 as an RAF base, but today is the satellite airfield to RNAS Culdrose - it is a restricted MOD site and an active airfield used daily for flying training and also provides our Fire Fighting training facility. The area is heavily utilised by Culdrose helicopter squadrons, light fixed wing aircraft and, on an occasional basis by other aircraft types including jet aircraft, for a variety of reasons. Predominantly crews are involved in intensive training sorties involving a high cockpit workload. On average there is in excess of 2000 aircraft moves a month at the unit. The airfield is also used by the Fire Training School for live fire fighting and rescue instruction/exercises and there is also a rifle range at Predannack which is frequently used for live weapon firings. Additionally the airfield is used for a variety of additional tasks when the Control Tower is unmanned e.g. gliding.
       

       

       

       

       

       

       

       

       

       

       

       

       

       

       
    • By crabb
      After hearing about the permanent closure of this well known super store giant, we felt like a part of our childhood was gone forever.
      In the store we visited, we found the names of those loyal workers written on the wall with one of those people having  worked there for 20 years,
      but unfortunately we couldn't go back and get a photo due to my camera running out of juice.
      But all is not lost as there is a full video on my friend's youtube channel so check it out!
      https://www.youtube.com/user/Kirbsvids
      Here are the best photos we managed to get, thanks for looking.
      C















×