Visited with @The_Raw, @Pinkman, @Maniac and @extreme_ironing.
The Brent oil field, off the north-east coast of Scotland is one of the largest fields in the North Sea. Discovered in 1971, it was one of the most significant oil and gas finds made in the UK sector. Brent field production peaked in 1982 when over half a million barrels of oil and 26 million cubic meters of gas were produced… every day!
The Brent oil field was served by four large platforms owned by Shell – Alpha, Bravo, Charlie and Delta. Each platform has a ‘topside’ which is visible above the waterline and houses the accommodation block, helipad, as well as drilling and other operational areas. The topsides sit on much taller supporting structures, or ‘legs’, which stand in 140 metres of water and serve to anchor the topsides to the sea bed.
By 1976 Brent Bravo had started production, and later that year the second platform, Brent Delta was installed, which started production in 1977. Delta weighed 24,000 tonnes (the same as 2,000 London busses!) and the platform alone was as tall as the London Eye.
The Brent field has reached the stage where production is no longer economically viable and decommissioning is underway. In 2011 Brent Delta stopped production. After 5 years of planning and 2 years of preparations, the entire Brent Delta platform was cut free from its supporting legs and brought ashore in one piece, where it will be dismantled and scrapped.
Brent Delta Platform after being brought ashore in Hartlepool
On the helipad
View across the deck with the derrick and flare stack towering above
More detailed view of the topdeck, where drilling activities were carried out
View across the deck
View in the other direction towards the crane
Derrick and flare stack
On the top deck where the drilling happened
Hook and winch equipment
The “doghouse” where drilling operations were controlled
Heading below deck we find a workshop
And various plant rooms
There were various rooms for deployment of workers
The workers accommodation was pretty basic
Central control room
The engine room was tucked away below the accommodation block
One of the emergency lifeboats
Sign on the side of the platform
all that remains of a decoy airfield
small bunker type construction with a searchlight mounted on top and a small room at the back to house a gennerator
fires would have been light at night at this location to fool the german bombers to target here instead of the real site a few miles away
the searchlight platform is now fallien off and just a pile of bricks and metal
thanks for looking
Spotted this while out and about so popped in for a look, not a great deal left behind
In the middle of a small town on the Shropshire border
Had to be fairly quiet as it is surrounded by houses
Looks like its not been lived in for a couple of years
A stable block out back, loads of TV sets and old Playstation mags , one of which gives the name I gave the place
thanks for looking
By a World in Ruins
First a little History [you all know it, but it's good to include anyway] 😃
The Dispensary – the first public hospital in North Staffordshire – opened in Etruria in April 1804 and was funded in part by the Wedgewood family. It gave sick patients the chance to see an Apothecary for diagnosis and treatment. It also provided vaccination against the dreaded smallpox, thanks to the pioneering work of Dr Edward Jenner. Shortly afterwards the 11-bed House of Recovery was opened for fever patients, followed by facilities to treat general and accident patients.
The hospital continued to expand, due to a steady flow of general illness cases, accidents in the pottery, mining and iron industries and diseases caused by lead and dust. In 1819 it moved to a bigger site in Etruria. By this point it employed a small team of support staff, including a matron and nurses, and ran education programmes urging mine and factory owners to improve their safety standards. Thanks to new ideas about infection control, the building - surrounded by polluting factories - was increasingly seen as unsuitable for patients and was also at risk of collapse from heavy undermining. Eventually, the decision was made to move the infirmary to Hartshill. The clean, quiet suburb became home in 1869 to the North Staffordshire Royal Infirmary, which later merged with the City General Hospital to form the University Hospital of North Staffordshire – now the Royal Stoke University Hospital. Previously the hospital was known as The North Staffordshire Infirmary and Eye Hospital (1815 - 1911) as well as The North Staffordshire Infirmary (1912 - 1926).
The building closed down as a medical facility in 2012 as part of the super-hospital development at the Royal Stoke University Hospital.
The explore: Visited with David [ Scrappy ]. It rained, a lot. 😀
The morgue was a bit of a let down as the slabs had recently been removed and placed in a nearby corridor in front of the fridges. Oh well....
On to the photographs, hope you enjoy: