Sign in to follow this  
Hippie Alien

UK Loxley Congregational Chapel - July 2016

The Visit

Managed to get into here a few week before it got burnt down and I am glad I did, was a enjoyable explore for a first outing even though it was trashed inside.

History

Loxley Chapel was built in 1787 by the Rev Benjamin Greaves who was the curate of Bradfield, along with a few friends. The chapel closed in 1993 after the parish had dwindled to an unsustainable amount. When the construction of the chapel had been completed, consecration was to be refused because the builders declined to put in an east window for unknown reasons. It was later sold at auction for approximately £315 and thus became an independent chapel. According to a religious census of 1851, an average congregation at an afternoon service was 200 and it had started performing baptisms in 1799. The first officer onboard the Titanic, Henry Tingle Wilde was reportidly christened here

In its later life, the chapel became known as the Loxley United Reformed / Independent Church. It is a grade 2 listed building and has been on English Heritage at risk register since August 1985

Pics:

LC-001eab99.jpg

LC-002cc507.jpg

LC-00301405.jpg

LC-004797cb.jpg

LC-00532d70.jpg

LC-0062ef33.jpg

LC-0078d22d.jpg

LC-00866625.jpg

LC-00919eb0.jpg

LC-010c71fc.jpg

LC-011e3c8f.jpg

LC-012302e9.jpg

LC-013c74e9.jpg

LC-014ca7c8.jpg

Edited by Hippie Alien

I'm amazed it didn't get burnt down about a year ago. Shame a church can be left like this. Did you see the state of the adjoining graveyard? :( 

3 hours ago, hamtagger said:

I'm amazed it didn't get burnt down about a year ago. Shame a church can be left like this. Did you see the state of the adjoining graveyard? :( 

Yea walked through the graveyard to get to it, such an overgrown mess could hardly tell it was a graveyard to begin with. 

Without doubt once a nice old place. Shame that it burnt down. I like the organ and the memorial-stone.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Andy
      Only a few quick shots, taken without a tripod.
      I don't know when the chapel (called "Capel Zinc") was built, it was a subsidiary tabernacle for the now Holy Trinity Church in Corris.
      Chairs has been removed and apparently the property is now used by a flower grower.
      Visited with @The_Raw and @Miss.Anthrope.

• By jane doe
      This was an old explore from 2012 , the church and school closed in  1977  and Im not sure if its still empty or has been redeveloped  

• By skeleton key
      Thankful there was enough remaining to grab some shots and at the same time have a good giggle
      Splored With Lara,Trog and peaches

In the back area of the stage Lara found some costumes and the silliness began.
      Beds began to roll up and down the corridors .

Better not to ask

I nearly ran straight into secca.
      At first i thought it was another fool dressed up but as Sindbad
      Then realized he was a Sihk Secca lol

This fella was either as deaf as a post or turned a blind eye & I wasnt fussed with either.
      As was more to see and we put a bit of distance between us and the now named Turbanator.

Cheers for looking in

• By Lenston
      History 

The engineering company J.E. Billups of Cardiff who also constructed Mireystock Bridge and the masonry work on the Lydbrook viaduct commenced construction of the tunnel in 1872 using forest stone. The tunnel is 221 metres in length and took 2 years to construct. The tunnel allowed the connection of the Severn and Wye Valley railway running from Lydney with the Ross and Monmouth network at Lydbrook. The first mineral train passed through the tunnel on 16 August 1874. Passenger services commenced in September 1875 pulled by the engine Robin Hood.

The history of this section of line is not without incident - a railway ganger was killed in the tunnel by a train in 1893 and a locomotive was derailed by a fallen block of stone in the cutting at the northern entrance in 1898.
      The line officially closed to passenger trains in July 1929 but goods trains continued to use the line until the closure of Arthur & Edward Colliery at Waterloo in 1959 and Cannop Colliery in 1960. Lifting of the track was completed in 1962. The tunnel and cutting were buried with spoil in the early 1970's.

Thanks to the vision and enthusiasm of a group of local Forest railway enthusiasts assisted by Forest Enterprise the top of the northern portal of the tunnel (with its unusual elliptical shape) which has lain buried for 30 years has now been exposed. 
      As of 2018 the tunnel now still lays abandoned with no sign of the cycle track and the £50,000 funding seemingly gone to waste.

Pics

Thanks for looking