Ferox

UK Harperbury Hospital - March 2016

We had a look at this place on a trip down south earlier this year. This part is well fucked now and surely beyond repair. The lack of tiles on the roofs has left these buildings a decayed mess. Still, a couple of hours relaxed exploring was enjoyed, on a warm and quite afternoon. It was cool having a look round here as it was one I'd always fancied the look of from reports I had seen. I just wish I had been aware of the other, no where near as fucked part next door. From the reports I have seen from that part it looks really nice. We seen a lad on the other side of the fence to us and I just thought he trying to find a way into the fucked part. We had no idea at the time what was over their :)  Visited with non member Paul.

HISTORY

In 1924 Middlesex County Council purchased the Porters Park estate, comprising a total area of 420 acres.The area would eventually become the site of both Harperbury and Shenley hospitals
The first patients were 8 adult males detained under The Mental Deficiency Act 1913. When the construction of new buildings began in 1929, these patients were involved in basic labouring. The first of the new buildings were opened in February 1931 and by December housed 342 patients. The site continued to expand - with the addition of female and childrens units - until 1936. After this expansion, the hospital was officially opened by Sir Kingsley Wood - the health minister at the time - in May 1936 and by 1939 the site had 1,194 patients.
In 1948 the hospital became part of the NHS and was renamed Harperbury Hospital in 1950.  accommodation designed for 1,354 patients was housing 1,587.
By 1964 the hospital was suffering severe overcrowding, accommodation designed for 1,354 patients was housing 1,587. Yet the hospital continued to expand up until 1973 when the scaling down process began. and by 1974 a discharge programme had begun moving patients out of Harperbury and back into the outside world. The discharge program continued and by late 2001 there were only about 200 chronically sick patients in residence.

Harperbury (1)

Harperbury (9)

Harperbury (12)

Harperbury (3)

Harperbury (15)

Harperbury (16)

Harperbury (20)

Harperbury (23)

Harperbury (26)

Harperbury (25)

Harperbury (31)

Harperbury (35)

Harperbury (28)

Harperbury (37)

Harperbury (29)

Thanks for looking :thumb

More pics on my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157666820232325/with/26259116425/

• Like 3

On 13/12/2016 at 7:43 PM, Vulex said:

Looking nice mate, your photography has really come on too.

Thank you very much mate :)

On 13/12/2016 at 8:07 PM, hamtagger said:

Looking very derpy nowadays but some nice peely in there, which is noiceee :) 

Yep. Was in a right state to be fair mate. I still enjoyed the visit though :thumb

On 19/12/2016 at 9:12 AM, Urbexbandoned said:

They still using this place for police training? 

Don't think so mate. Never seen any signs that anything like that had been going on. Reckon it's too fucked now.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By crabb
      Falcon house. It's been in Swindon since the early days of this towns birth and has been sat empty and abandoned for 16 years.  
      It was said to be the very first headquarters for the well known company zurich, an insurance company, but was promptly moved to a more practical and efficient property.
      The old office block is situated in Swindon town centre on top of a car park right near the entrance to town, which is an eye sore to some but a worthy explore for us. 
      There was nothing much left, only old phones and some really old school computer stuff. 
      It was the view at the end of the video that made it all worth it, being the second highest point in the town aside from the john murray building.  What a view! 
      So please enjoy this video by my good friend and make sure to check out the channel! Have fun out there,
      C

• By jane doe
      A little gem of a place ...went here when  it was guarded by a very irate bull lol  

• By Jake Alan Crag
      Hey everyone, so I'm pretty sure everyone's heard of this place so i dont really need to explain much about it, but if you haven't, below is a brief history of Denbigh Mental Asylum.

Grade 2 Listed building.
      Built work started in 1844
      Building work completed in 1848

Built to house up to 200 patients with psychiatric illnesses. In the early 1900's it housed 1537 patients (Approx).
      The hospital had its own farm and gas works.
      Planned for closure by Enoch Powellin the 1960's, however it only began closing in sections between 1991-1995.

Nurses Quarters:

This is genuinely one of the best condition buildings that i have ever explored.

Most of the lower floor windows were covered in either ivy or thick vines, so it got quite dark in some sections of the building.

Now for the hospital itself, my personal favorite photos:

Thanks for reading,
      Make sure to check out my youtube channel Jake Alan Craig for the video and my instagram @exploring_with_jake for regular abandoned photos.

#WereJustTrespassing

• By jane doe
      Snowdown was the deepest colliery in Kent reaching well over 3,000 ft (915 metres). It was also the hottest and most humid pit in Kent and was given the name 'Dante's Inferno' by the miners. Regarded by many as the worst pit to work at in Britain, most Snowdown miners worked naked because clothes became too uncomfortable. The miners could consume around 24 pints (14 lires) of water in an 8-hour shift. There were frequent cases of heat stroke.

Snowdown closed in 1987

• By jane doe
      Established in 1926, G.L. Murphy was a family run business and supplied bespoke machinery to the tanning industry, as well as building rag cutting and cable stripping machinery.  The company also provide refurbishment and renovation works for various machinery types.