• Similar Content

• By DirtyJigsaw
      Afternoon All, 

Ive finally got around to putting up afew photos from my recent trip to New York, and on my second day there i visited the Ellis Island Immigrant Hospital

Heres some info/history, i wont post it all as on the Wiki page, there is alot of history, which you can see here if you wanna see more

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellis_Island_Immigrant_Hospital

The Ellis Island Immigrant Hospital, also known as USPHS Hospital #43, was the United States’ first public health hospital, opened in 1902 and operating as a hospital until 1930. Constructed in phases, the facility encompassed both a general hospital and a separate pavilion style contagious disease hospital. The hospital served as a detention facility for new immigrants who were deemed unfit to enter the United States after their arrival; immigrants would either be released from the hospital to go on to a new life in America or sent back to their home countries. The hospital was one of the largest public health hospitals in United States history and is still viewed today as an extraordinary endeavor in the public health field.[5]
      The hospital is part of the Statue of Liberty National Monument. While the monument is managed by the National Park Service as part of the National Parks of New York Harbor office, the south side of Ellis Island has been off-limits to the general public since its closing. Efforts to restore the hospital buildings and others on the island are being made by government partner Save Ellis Island. In October 2014, the hospital opened to the public for small-group hard hat tours.[6]

The original immigration station on Ellis Island opened January 1, 1892, and processed 700 people that first day. In September of that year, the Hamburg-America steamer S.S. Moravia[7] arrived at quarantine with several confirmed cases of cholera. Every ship arriving in the port of New York was held at quarantine before being cleared to land. Passengers found to have dangerous contagious diseases were taken off ships at quarantine and transferred to the hospital at either Hoffman or Swinburne Island. Twenty-four of Moravia's passengers were ill and twenty-two deaths had occurred during the voyage. Many were children. It was believed that the outbreak occurred due to the ship taking on contaminated water from the Elbe river. The threat of a pandemic caused all shipping traffic to be suspended. The backlog of ships held at quarantine and the lack of adequate medical facilities to handle the volume quickly precipitated the need for a more robust healthcare facility to treat immigrants and merchant marine sailors.

Twenty years after opening, the hospital, as well as Ellis Island itself, was in decline due to tightening restrictions on immigration in the United States. In 1930, the hospital closed its doors.[10] After the hospital was closed, the FBI occupied the space as an office through the 1930s. During World War II, disabled American servicemen were sometimes housed on the islands, as well as some German and Italian prisoners of war. After the war, many war brides were detained and sometimes treated on Ellis Island. During the 1940s, the hospitals were utilized to treat Merchant Marine sailors, Coast Guardsmen, and U.S. military personnel. During the postwar period, electroconvulsive therapy was employed as a method to treat mental illnesses. This was preferred over the archaic cold water bath therapy or hydropathy, which could cause hypothermia.
      In 1954, the islands were officially abandoned by the Coast Guard and declared “excess federal property”. In 1996, the World Monuments Fund listed the hospital as one of the world’s 100 Most Endangered Properties, a warning echoed by the National Trust for Historic Preservation, which put the buildings on the list of “most endangered historical places in the United States.” A study conducted by the New York Landmarks Conservancy estimated that with about $3 million of federal funding, the Ellis Island Immigrant Hospital could be stabilized for the next 15 years. According to the Conservancy, 15 years would allow time to develop a long-term preservation plan

You would have noticed some art on the walls in the photos, this was by a French street artist JR awakens history with his ‘Unframed – Ellis Island’ Exhibition. The tour and exhibition provide an immersive visual and sensory experience loaded with historical significance. It is not to be missed! ~ Rachael Silverstein, The Culture Trip
      The work, which is accessible by guided tour, will remain up “until it decides to disappear.” 
      The Unframed—Ellis Island project aims to bring alive the memory of Ellis Island, the entry point to America for millions of immigrants. Coming from all over the world, leaving their belongings, their family and their past behind them, with the fear that they may be sent back to it, the presence of these people who have shaped the modern American identity can still be felt in the buildings, although abandoned for the past 70 years. This is the opportunity to interpret the stories of these people through art.
      JR’s exhibit lives in the abandoned Ellis Island Immigrant Hospital, on the south side of the island. Archival photographs of the hospital’s patients and staff were artistically wheat-pasted around the abandoned hospital complex of Ellis Island’s south side, creating haunting scenes that bring the history of these rooms back to life.

Thanks for looking

DJ
    • By oysterhead00
      I stumbled on this house a few years ago right after I got my first DSLR.   When I was walking around outside a passerby asked me if I saw a little girl in the window as everybody says they see a ghost there.  Whatever.  Went in and took a bunch of pics (quality isn't that great as I didn't know what I was doing, hadn't discovered the RAW format yet, and had my settings a bit off) and forgot all about it...until a year or so later I saw an article that it had burnt down about a month after I was there and read the story.  Obviously saw the name on the wall, but having grown up a few hours away I hadn't heard the local legend of the crimes and the location.

Depending on where you read Nathanial White either lived here, buried 2 of the victims in the house, or both.  Some say he lived here and the bodies were discovered in a field a bit behind the house, others say this place was already abandoned and he hid 2 bodies there.  Not sure exactly which is true, but you could see the house from a major highway so I stopped to take a few quick pics but was a bit spooked by the passerby.  Not because of the ghost rumor,  but rather being reported to be snooping around.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nathaniel_White

https://www.readjunk.com/articles/goshen-ny-the-nathaniel-white-farm-house/

http://www.recordonline.com/article/20150725/NEWS/150729571

• By FaridKhan
      I recently posted a music video of mine filmed in Calirton PA. I wanted to post some of the images I took of the area while I was out there along with a video link incase you didn't;t see it. Hope you like them!

Politicize- Last bullet

• By FaridKhan
      Recently I drove over to a town called Clairton in PA. It's about 15 miles away from Pittsburgh. Clairton flourished from the mining of a fuel called coke. It was also the same town the film Deer Hunter was supposed to be filmed in. While things looks great for the town and it’s people, pollution was slowly but surely eating away at the towns people health. Years later when industry left, Clairton stood silent, poor, and broke beyond repair. Large scale cases of cancer sprouted and people soon learned that all the chemicals they were told could do them no harm created a living environment where cancer is now higher in Clairton than that of any other place in the United States. Paradise was truly lost and gave way to abandonment of whole neighborhoods. One of these areas is known as Lincoln Way, an abandoned street of homes. There was a fire years ago there. But the homes were abandoned  a long Tim before the fire. Some speak of a beastly animal prowling the neighborhood forcing residents to flee in  the middle of the night. But I think that's more of a myth like unicorns. Either way it was a really creepy place. An I actually filmed a music video there about suicide awareness. I'm attaching the video and also some pics for you guys to check out. Feel free to send me some feedback on youtube about the video. I film at a lot of different abandoned locations. 

• By XENAVAMOUX
      Hello, so as you can tell (if you go to my profile) I am new here and this is the first post that I hope people will reply too with good advice. So I am a YouTuber that's an aspiring director and writer, and I'm starting off with making youtube videos and something called "the chilling series" about spooky stuff, and the next episode I want to make it about new jersey abandoned mental hospitals  since i am going to be in town soon, I plan to go into Essex County Hospital Center (overbrook asylum) and  Abandoned Soho Hospital, but I'm not quite sure if Overbrook Asylum is even still there, it may be demolished, and I'm not sure how to find out if it is or not cause googling it I don't find much. Also, how do I find the owners to contact them, or do I contact someone else for that? I only want to go in with permission, if not I rather just take pictures and clips outside of it on public property. Any advice will help a lot tbh.

thank you  ❤️