Sign in to follow this  
Landie_Man

UK Harlow ODEON, Essex – March 2017

Harlow ODEON, Essex – March 2017

Part of another massive backup I have going on here!  I visited the old Harlow Cinema with a Non-Explorer friend back in March; Interesting access into this one that’s for sure.  We visited this as part of a little South East road trip which was full of its fails sadly; but we still got about which was nice :D.

History

Harlow ODEON was the first new cinema to be built by Rank after the Second World War; opening on 1st February 1960 with the Norman Wisdom and John Le Mesurier film "Follow A Star".

The building was designed by T.P.Bennet with 1244 Stadium Style seats on a single floor.  The projection Booth was suspended above the rear stalls almost level to the screen.

Harlow ODEON closed in June 1987 and the rear stalls were converted into two smaller cinemas while the main cinema retained the original screen

Not too many years later a Brand New Six Screen Multiplex opened in 1990 and it finally closed its doors in August 2005

The Explore

Myself and my Non-Explorer friend were having a fairly unsuccessful South East Road Trip; but we knew this one would still be here.  Quite what state it would be in; we weren’t sure. 

The air inside was absolutely awful and we avoided spending too much time in areas of nasty, dusty air.  We all know these risks as explorers…. 

The interior is absolutely trashed and little did we know; the electricity still works.  We were using Long Exposures and Light Painting!  Doh!

Totally torn apart, but a nice quick explore for that day!

34227992076_eb7450bfc4_b.jpg

33426775244_d1eb5ff8c4_b.jpg

33426924954_ded1e3573c_b.jpg

34228610766_ebaf0499ec_b.jpg

34111695632_5403b92dde_b.jpg

33426897974_40b09a9f09_b.jpg

34111581532_f579726922_b.jpg

33427206554_d58246487d_b.jpg

33458494533_fea9b2e913_b.jpg

33427054894_096498c4c2_b.jpg

34268615775_87b302a526_b.jpg

Thanks for Looking!

More At:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/landie_man/albums/72157682957536376

Shame about that but considering how long it's been closed I'm more durorised there isn't more damage to be fair. 

Wonder what will happen to the place. 

Thanks for sharing :thumb 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Andy
      Due to annoying incidents quite well known. Meanwhile, a lot was looted here and destroyed as much by vandalism.
      Visited May 2018 with @The_Raw and @Miss.Anthrope.

• By urbexdevil
      It’s been a while for various reasons but I am back and hitting the “move along, nothing to see here” central resource library… no seriously, nothing to see here.

So after a brief chat with who turned out to be a long time reader and follower through instagram, we chose a spot to meet and hit the central resource library.

Now to be honest, I was pre warned over a year ago that this place is absolutely trashed and I can confirm exactly that but it’s one I can now tick off the list.

There’s not much to see, unless smashed windows and terrible graffiti is your thing so there is a lack of photos and hardly warranting a report, but here we go anyway!

History wise? It’s a library… it closed and moved to a new location, that’s pretty much all I can say!

• By Andy
      Only a few quick shots, taken without a tripod.
      I don't know when the chapel (called "Capel Zinc") was built, it was a subsidiary tabernacle for the now Holy Trinity Church in Corris.
      Chairs has been removed and apparently the property is now used by a flower grower.
      Visited with @The_Raw and @Miss.Anthrope.

• By jane doe
      This was an old explore from 2012 , the church and school closed in  1977  and Im not sure if its still empty or has been redeveloped  

• By skeleton key
      Thankful there was enough remaining to grab some shots and at the same time have a good giggle
      Splored With Lara,Trog and peaches

In the back area of the stage Lara found some costumes and the silliness began.
      Beds began to roll up and down the corridors .

Better not to ask

I nearly ran straight into secca.
      At first i thought it was another fool dressed up but as Sindbad
      Then realized he was a Sihk Secca lol

This fella was either as deaf as a post or turned a blind eye & I wasnt fussed with either.
      As was more to see and we put a bit of distance between us and the now named Turbanator.

Cheers for looking in