• Similar Content

• By obscureserenity
      A night in the Paris Metro

My first report for a while and I felt that my photos from each location wouldn't create a substantial enough report. Because of this I decided to compile them into a more lengthy post documenting the night in which we explored various sections of the Paris Metro. I hope you enjoy reading my story and seeing the images I managed to capture.

After arriving in Paris with @Letchbo for a short weekend break, we decided to begin our night of exploring by hitting a classic metro spot. Once we'd safely entered the area we wanted to photograph, we hid in an alcove for a short period of time. Patiently waiting for the end of service with front row seats to watch the last remaining trains hurl past us. As soon the service concluded for the night, we eagerly got our cameras out and started shooting. Fortunately we managed to grab a couple of decent photos before we heard what we presumed were track workers approaching nearby. We quickly concluded it was best to abort mission and keep moving ahead. Photographing sections of track  as we progressed down the line, until we reached the next station and swiftly departed unnoticed. By the time we were back out above ground the night was still young and we headed  onto our next location.

View of a train passing on Line 10

The double raccord 

We'd visited this spot earlier in the year along with @Conrad and @DirtyJigsaw after visiting another of Paris' famous ghost stations. But when we arrived at this one, we noticed a large number workers across the tracks and decided to give it a miss. Fast forward to October, we thought try our luck again. My partner made his way over the fence but as I was about to climb in and join him, someone abruptly stopped me in my tracks.

"Bonsoir!"

"Bonsoir?"

The rather authoritative looking chap approached me and continued speaking to me in French (to which I didn't fully understand.) I politely explained we were English. He then proceeded to pull a badge out and clearly stated to me the word every urban explorer wants to hear on a night out exploring the metro.

"Police."

Oh fuck. 

That's when we thought the night had sadly come to a prompt conclusion. Fortunately for us after a brief discussion with us claiming to be photographing the canal, he decided to allow us to resume our business and once he was well out of sight we made our way straight in. 

Onto a bit of history, Arsenal station was officially opened in 1906 and is located in the 4th arrondissement of Paris. In addition to this, it is also situated on line 5 between the Bastille and Quai de la Rapée stations. After 33 years of operation, it was closed in 1939 at the start of the Second World War. This was due to French resistance members allocating the area as an ammunition depot. Once Paris had been liberated from German forces August of 1944, a battle more commonly known as Battle for Paris and Belgium. It was decided reopening Arsenal would be inefficient. This was on account of its close proximity to neighbouring stations which limited the flow of passengers. For 75 years the station has been largely abandoned aside from graffers, urban explorers, photographers and avid thrill seekers, such as ourselves. 

Once we'd grabbed a few shots of the abandoned Arsenal Station, we continued photographing another small section of track further down the line. It was quite photogenic and was a welcomed bonus to what had already been a predominately successful night for the both of us.

Before long the morning was fast approaching, coinciding with the threat of the  service resuming. We reluctantly called it a night, making our way out and back to our accommodation, covered in metro dust and feeling pretty relieved we managed to pull it all off after a few close encounters. 

As always if you got this far, thanks for reading 

• By Andy
      Two weeks ago I drove with a female friend (no Urbexer and thus also no forum member) for three days to France. This castle has been on my to-do-list for a long time, so I wanted to visit it now.

Directly above the castle is a lonely but inhabited house. Maybe the owner, and he was at home. That's why we acted very quietly, so he couldn't hear us and luckily he also didn't see us (unfortunately, Germans are often not very welcome in France because of the past. And French people respond even much more unfriendly and very aggressive when they catch Germans while exploring an abandoned place ...).

The castle was built in the middle of the 19th century, more precisely in 1849, for a count family. During the Second World War, the castle burned down. Through reparation payments, the roof, as well as some ceilings and a staircase inside of the building has been repaired after the war. But nothing more did happen since then. Today, the castle itself is just an unadorned shell and completely empty. So I took only one photo from a former fireplace inside of it. Otherwise, there was nothing to see except ugly concrete from the earlier repairs.
      However, much more interesting was one of the smaller buildings in front of the castle. On the ground floor there was an old bed with metal frame and, picturesque, a cross in front of an ivy-covered window. On the first floor of this house, to reach via a stone spiral staircase, was also a chapel; beautiful with a rose window, colored / painted panes and angel figures on the wall, as well as several wine bottles in a corner next to the altar.
      The upper floor couldn't be entered anymore, the roof had already collapsed there. The same applies to another building next to it, which had already completely collapsed inside.
      Also nice was an abandoned truck in front of the castle.

• By Industrieller
      A lot of old cars were stored in a tunnel.
      When we arrived there, we met the buyers of the vehicles.
      They were about to load vehicles and get ready for transport.
      We were kindly allowed to take photos.

• By Andy
      A nice French farmhouse, located on the edge of a small village in southern Alsace.

• By Benjamin W.
      In the region of Bourgogne in France there was an old man living in a little village with his 5 dogs and his donkey. Once he has been a successful rallye driver and a car developer working in Nizza.
      He decided to collect the cars he used once and behind his house you could find a huge collection of rarely old racing cars decayed by nature.
      But that was not enough, he also collected cars around his garage and on a little estate a few hundred meters away from his house.
      Firstly we went there in 2016 but the old man wasn't there, so we had no chance to take a look at his sporting car collection and also no way to see his garage.
      Sadly we walked around and by chance we found the other estate few hundred meters away. Once it has been a normal field and now it was a thick forest.
      Never seen old cars became a part of the nature like this before. We were absolutely enchanted of this place and that's the reason why we called it 'Magic Forest'.
      We couldn't finish to shoot the cars cause sunset was coming.  We decided to come back to this wonderful place to meet the old guy and to see his other collection.
      But at our next visit his house was demolished. The old decayed cars were laying on an heap and the digger was still running. We met the daughter of the old man there and she told us that he died.
      She will bring  the hole area back to a field and depollute the cars. The really expensive cars she put into a closed hall and maybe sell it. Damn this was a little shock for us.
      The demolishing of our 'Magic Forest' had already began but fortunately we could see the most of it again for last time.
      Now everything is gone.
      Everyone who shooted cars already knows that it's often not easy with the space and the light. Same here...