HISTORY

RiversidePostCard.jpg

wiki text: Riverside Amusement Park was an amusement park in Indianapolis, Indiana, USA from 1903 to 1970. Originating as a joint venture between engineer/amusement park developer Frederick Ingersoll and Indianapolis businessmen J. Clyde Power, Albert Lieber, and Bert Fiebleman and Emmett Johnson, the park was built by Ingersoll's Pittsburgh Construction Company adjacent to Riverside City Park at West 30th Street between White River and the Central Canal in the Riverside subdivision of Indianapolis.

The decade of the 1960s was not a kind one for Riverside Amusement Park, which was losing attendance for the first time since the end of World War II. By the time John Coleman lifted the "whites only" policy (in response to a series of protests organized by the NAACP Youth Council in 1963), the park was losing $30,000 a year.

Increased cost of insurance, maintenance, and new rides, coupled with increased competition from the emerging theme parks, were cited by Coleman as the park closed for the last time at the end of the 1970 season. All the rides were sold or demolished by 1978.

The land lay undisturbed for more than two decades, until the construction of the River's Edge subdivision in the early 2000s.

RiversideAmusementPark-Bass.jpg

===========================================================================================================================================

STORY

In 1979 my buddies and I heard that they were getting ready to bulldoze the site of the long defunct Riverside Amusement Park in Indianapolis so we decided to drive by to get a final look. When we got there we were amazed to find easy access to the grounds. With my trusty Practica LLC at hand we ventured within and explored for several minutes until we came to the stark realization that this neglected plot of land had become the home to countless wild dogs. Picking up debris for clubs we beat a hasty retreat (pausing of course for a commemorative selfie.)

The pictures were taken on 35mm slide film...  Back in 2005 I came across the slides and crapily scanned them using a junky flat-bed scanner and used those images to create the Animated GIF below to send cross country via email to one of the krew.

If there is a prize for worst images on OS these would surely take it - but even in this 'State' they trigger memories of that adventure; so in that they are still doing their job...

Impressionists Views of Riverside Amusement Park (circa 1979)

memorylane.gif

I opened this GIF and extracted the individual images and tried to enhance them to some degree.
I then repackaged thumbnails of these into a fresh GIF that is marginally more effective than the original.
(shown at end of report)

riverside-1.jpg
Ticket Booth

riverside-2.jpg
Shoot 25¢

riverside-3.jpg
From Inside Ring-Toss

riverside-4.jpg
Main Attraction

riverside-5.jpg
The Weed-lined Path

riverside-6.jpg
Wheee!

riverside-7.jpg
Domed (Doomed) Skating Rink

riverside-8.jpg
Three scared cats in a dog park! (that's me on the right rockin' the Frampton 'do)

RiversidePark-TH.gif
Take Two

If I ever come across the original transparencies again I will have to get some proper enlargements made.

Edited by masodo
fixed link / tags
  • Like 1

Interesting history of a very old exploration many years ago. Too bad that not much is recognizable on the scanned photos.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Andy said:

Interesting history of a very old exploration many years ago. Too bad that not much is recognizable on the scanned photos.

It is too bad :/ I will update if the originals ever surface... at least I got to learn how to post th the boards in the process. Now to get some good stuff going...

• Like 1

This actually has to be one of my favourite for a while.

Crappy pics or not, I love the write up and the fact they are taken before I was born.

Very welcome to keep those coming.

:comp:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By oysterhead00
      I stumbled on this house a few years ago right after I got my first DSLR.   When I was walking around outside a passerby asked me if I saw a little girl in the window as everybody says they see a ghost there.  Whatever.  Went in and took a bunch of pics (quality isn't that great as I didn't know what I was doing, hadn't discovered the RAW format yet, and had my settings a bit off) and forgot all about it...until a year or so later I saw an article that it had burnt down about a month after I was there and read the story.  Obviously saw the name on the wall, but having grown up a few hours away I hadn't heard the local legend of the crimes and the location.

Depending on where you read Nathanial White either lived here, buried 2 of the victims in the house, or both.  Some say he lived here and the bodies were discovered in a field a bit behind the house, others say this place was already abandoned and he hid 2 bodies there.  Not sure exactly which is true, but you could see the house from a major highway so I stopped to take a few quick pics but was a bit spooked by the passerby.  Not because of the ghost rumor,  but rather being reported to be snooping around.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nathaniel_White

https://www.readjunk.com/articles/goshen-ny-the-nathaniel-white-farm-house/

http://www.recordonline.com/article/20150725/NEWS/150729571

• By FaridKhan
      I recently posted a music video of mine filmed in Calirton PA. I wanted to post some of the images I took of the area while I was out there along with a video link incase you didn't;t see it. Hope you like them!

Politicize- Last bullet

• By FaridKhan
      Recently I drove over to a town called Clairton in PA. It's about 15 miles away from Pittsburgh. Clairton flourished from the mining of a fuel called coke. It was also the same town the film Deer Hunter was supposed to be filmed in. While things looks great for the town and it’s people, pollution was slowly but surely eating away at the towns people health. Years later when industry left, Clairton stood silent, poor, and broke beyond repair. Large scale cases of cancer sprouted and people soon learned that all the chemicals they were told could do them no harm created a living environment where cancer is now higher in Clairton than that of any other place in the United States. Paradise was truly lost and gave way to abandonment of whole neighborhoods. One of these areas is known as Lincoln Way, an abandoned street of homes. There was a fire years ago there. But the homes were abandoned  a long Tim before the fire. Some speak of a beastly animal prowling the neighborhood forcing residents to flee in  the middle of the night. But I think that's more of a myth like unicorns. Either way it was a really creepy place. An I actually filmed a music video there about suicide awareness. I'm attaching the video and also some pics for you guys to check out. Feel free to send me some feedback on youtube about the video. I film at a lot of different abandoned locations. 

• By XENAVAMOUX
      Hello, so as you can tell (if you go to my profile) I am new here and this is the first post that I hope people will reply too with good advice. So I am a YouTuber that's an aspiring director and writer, and I'm starting off with making youtube videos and something called "the chilling series" about spooky stuff, and the next episode I want to make it about new jersey abandoned mental hospitals  since i am going to be in town soon, I plan to go into Essex County Hospital Center (overbrook asylum) and  Abandoned Soho Hospital, but I'm not quite sure if Overbrook Asylum is even still there, it may be demolished, and I'm not sure how to find out if it is or not cause googling it I don't find much. Also, how do I find the owners to contact them, or do I contact someone else for that? I only want to go in with permission, if not I rather just take pictures and clips outside of it on public property. Any advice will help a lot tbh.

thank you  ❤️
    • By southeastcolo
      Hello everyone I’m new here but have explored since I was a teen and only recently decided to document my explorations on video. Here’s one of them I hope you all enjoy!!!