obscureserenity

Germany Haus der Offiezere - Germany, September 2016 & March 2017

Haus der Offiezere

My first report. I have had this account for about a year but never posted anything from fear of my photos not being good enough to post. Decided to pluck up the courage to start contributing more but I apologise if there are any mistakes. Anyway, on to the history!

History

The Haus der Offiezere was originally established as a shooting range between Kummersdorf and Jüterbog in 1888. It wasn't until 1910, when construction of the Berlin to Dresden railway line took place, it was decided that Wunsdorf held a significant strategic advantage and because of this it became a military headquarters two years following. A telephone and telegraph office was built in 1912. By the start of the first world war, Wunsdorf had already become Europe's largest military base, boasting 60,000 acres of land. A year later, the first mosque was built in Germany on the site. This was to accommodate for the Muslim prisoners of war which were housed there. They were known as the Halbmondlager or Crescent Moon camp.

After the war, the Wunsdorf Headquarters was converted into a military sports school in 1919. It was even used to train athletes for the Olympic games in Berlin in 1936. During the uprising of the Third Reich, a network of highly modernised tunnels and bunkers were built, including a communications centre, known as the Zeppelin. A year Maybach I and II were built which coincided with the Zeppelin bunker. A ring tunnel connected all the bunkers to each other and were disguised as ordinary homes on the ground, to avoid suspicion. The construction of these bunkers wasn't completed until 1940, a year after war was declared. From 1943 the Haus der Offiezere was temporarily converted into a hospital to treat wounded German soldiers.

Two years later, in 1945 the Red Army had invaded East Germany and quickly seized control of Wunsdorf. This was when it was renamed the Haus der Offiezere which translates to House of the Officer. During Soviet occupation of Wunsdorf in the GDR, the Haus der Offiezere became a place of art and culture. The former sports halls and gymnasiums were torn down and replaced with elaborate theatres and concert halls. Daily deliveries of supplies came all the way from Moscow on a direct train line and the locals nicknamed it 'little Moscow' due to the number of roughly 60,000 Russian inhabitants.

This continued for almost 50 years, until the reunification of Germany when it was handed back. The last remaining Russians eventually left in 1994 and it has remained unoccupied since.

Visit

The photos I have compiled for this post were taken on two separate occasions. Wanted to give a good representation of the location, as there is a lot to see. Unfortunately some of my photographs were taken when I first started getting into the hobby, so I hope they do enough justice and excuse the quality of said images. Second visit was on a solo trip to Germany, giving me plenty of time to mooch. Would consider the Haus der Offiezere one of my favourite locations and I hope you enjoy my report.

Externals

25522787438_1ddc4f0826_o.jpg

38685180064_6b3c601ca7_o.jpg

39363143452_8315e596bd_o.jpg

Internals

38515287495_a11bfd50ef_o.jpg

25522962768_2022ace8b5_o.jpg

27616185869_d21f56254b_o.jpg

39363241362_d8c831cb0c_o.jpg

39363270882_4b3c9a3abf_o.jpg

39363183042_7778d05635_o.jpg

38515216665_33a141bf0c_o.jpg

38515510645_a140bf7d86_o.jpg

39393457391_55b95dcecb_o.jpg

38515542675_f7d703318c_o.jpg

24527999797_66cccab7a2_o.jpg

39393520691_76e3d2b05c_o.jpg

39362951472_1e8fcd90cb_o.jpg

25522734188_281d2bd634_o.jpg

25522749358_437b71d560_o.jpg

24527628327_71d023e2ba_o.jpg

39395245091_5a873771fd_o.jpg

27616436009_6c3c15a1bd_o.jpg

39363531992_259ede1756_o.jpg

39395175091_25f7c9c1df_o.jpg

Thank you for reading.

• Like 8

Great first report and good to see you on here! Some absolute bangers in there. I missed the main building unfortunately, looks pretty epic :)

Wow, I can't believe that you were reluctant to post a report, more of this please! :o 

Great stuff and looking forward to more :thumb 

:comp: 

1 hour ago, The_Raw said:

Great first report and good to see you on here! Some absolute bangers in there. I missed the main building unfortunately, looks pretty epic :)

Thank you! :6_smile: All the more reason to go back! 

35 minutes ago, hamtagger said:

Wow, I can't believe that you were reluctant to post a report, more of this please! :o 

Great stuff and looking forward to more :thumb 

:comp: 

I'm so picky about my photos haha! 

Thank you :16_relieved: will post another when I get the chance! 

1 hour ago, DirtyJigsaw said:

Cracking! This is on my list for next month, cant wait even more now after seeing your photos :)

Thanks mate! Defintely worth a visit and have a great trip :1_grinning:

• Like 1

I certainly wouldnt worry about quality after this report, you have some awesome pictures there!

It's also not just about posting reports either, get stuck in with general interaction :)

Thanks for posting, more of that please!

On ‎30‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 10:10 AM, Dubbed Navigator said:

I certainly wouldnt worry about quality after this report, you have some awesome pictures there!

It's also not just about posting reports either, get stuck in with general interaction :)

Thanks for posting, more of that please!

Thank you very much! :5_smiley:

Will do!

You're welcome. More in the vault I'll upload when I get the chance!

On ‎30‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 12:56 PM, MIMI 25 said:

Always nice to see pictures of this site.
Beautiful pictures.

It's a fantastic location for sure!

Thank you :)

On ‎31‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 7:56 PM, jones-y-gog said:

Terrific report in every way, please don't hesitate to post some more !!!

Thank you very much! Will do! :5_smiley:

• Like 2

What a great intro to the forum eh.. Nice! This place is amazing. I love love love that first internal shot. Architecture is stunning all around. Really impressive :)

On ‎21‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 7:50 PM, Arborshate said:

Very nice first report! It's great to see in which condition this one still is! Lovely! (:

Thank you very much :1_grinning:

On ‎22‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 2:10 AM, Andy said:

Absolutely a great set, fantastic pics!

Thank you! :) 

• Like 1