Hey everyone!

It's been a while since our small Belgium/Luxembuorg/France-Roadtrip in September, but now I finally had the time to recall this one and edit some of the images.
As I'm totally new to photography, I would be very delighted to hear your opinion on the photos and processing! (:

1st day:Usine Barbele

The entrance was quite easy. The place where the hole in the fence should be seemed to have been closed a few times already; but everytime a new hole was opened just a few steps further. Arriving at the heart of the plant, we quickly made our way up to the rows of coking furnaces.

It was a rather dark day, clouds hanging heavily in the sky, and we stopped many times when some loose parts made loud crashing noises, moved by the wind. We did not feel comfortable here, it seemed like we were not welcome.

25430510577_befa908e40_b_d.jpg

39588676704_0c7bfe98a8_b_d.jpg

38492627030_214ab5148c_b_d.jpg

After taking some portraits at the big fans, my girlfriend told me she was hearing engine sounds, and we decided to rush into a small cabin at the side of the  road and hide. And really, she was right: A black Dacia made its way slowly around the plant, passing the shed where we were hiding. We heard it stopping somewhere, opening and closing it's doors again, and we were in complete agreement we should leave this place as fast as posible. Hiding behind everything we found, we fled along the side of the way, stopping and quietly peeking back every now and then.

2nd day: HFB

We decided to be quick with this one when thinking back to the day before. We made our way to the blast
furnace, took some photos and left again. We'll have a look at the rest of the site on our tour in march.

39402894395_7ebd6b6a8b_b_d.jpg

ET Phone Home

I found this one online just the day before, and after a short research, I had the coordinates. After having a
stop at a small park to have a look at a sculpture we wanted to see, we quickly headed over the fields
toward this one. We arrived at sunset, and after strolling through high grass and climbing the small fence,
we stood in the middle of those antennas. I really liked the view, but I'm not at all pleased with the
pictures I made. Maybe we'll repeat that one someday.

40317051042_203a463d15_b_d.jpg

3rd day: Diesel Power Plant

Not much to say. The door that was said to be open was closed again, so we moved on to the sea and did
not any exploration that day.

4th day: Salle des Compresseurs

We made our way in from the west. According to the parts we found in this wasteland, it used to be some kind of power station. There are also some basement structures where you can still find some electrical gear.

The compressor house was a nice little place - nice machines looking like ducks, rust, peeling paint, plants. Beautiful.

26428321658_67a18138d9_b_d.jpg

5th day: Power Plant X

The access to this one was said to be "a bit dirty", but i really enjoyed it. We took some shots in the boiler room and moved on to the pumping room in the next building.

Sadly we didn't get to see the big hall with the gas motors as renovation work was going on - the space was lit up like a soccer field and plastic sheets were covering windows and machines. Let's hope it gets well preserved for the posterity so they can enjoy that view too!

39405336715_4587c9d26e_b_d.jpg

40300574501_e63fa173b6_b_d.jpg

Terres Rouges

This one was easy. We heard stories of police driving around and were careful, but luckily nothing happened. The place isn't as impressive as HFB or Usine Barbele and in a quite bad shape, but there were some nice perspectives.

It was raining cats and dogs, so we didn't have much time to shoot the nice reflections.

38491059430_86e115ca02_b_d.jpg

39588799434_86466ebd5e_b_d.jpg

25429193457_92e790ced4_b_d.jpg

That's it for now. There aren't so much images as we also did a bit of sightseeing and I sorted out a bunch that I didn't like or weren't able to process to the point where I could post them with a good feeling :-D Hope you still like them!

If you like to see some (but that's not THAT much) more images, you can hit up my flickr page: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/albums

We'll do another tour in March (Be, Lux, Fr, Es, It, Ch) and hopefully we'll come back with more pictures. Maybe I'll also add some of my older images.
And of course, thanks a lot to the people that helped me with the locations and confirmed my researched coordinates - it's really nice to know how to get in and somebody has been there recently. I won't publish the names here so that you don't get flooded with requests, I hope that's ok. You rock! :)

best wishes from Germany,

Nico

Edited by Arborshate
  • Like 7

Thanks for your kind words! I'm happy you like it! :)

@jones-y-gog: There'll definitely be more stuff! I'm back in april, hopefully with lots of new pictures :-D If you got some nice tips in Soutwest-Europe, please let me know!
I've also found some older pictures of Kraftwerk V/Lightworks (quite crappy), a nearly empty children's sanatorium/home and the remains of Hitler's oxygen plant (not really worth seeing), maybe I'll can get a bit out of them.

• Like 3

Thank you very much everybody!
And also thank you very much for featuring my report, @Dubbed Navigator! :)

@eyevolveHaha, that's exactly the one my girlfriend liked the least :-D Glad I still took that one!

Edited by Arborshate
  • Like 1

On 21/02/2018 at 4:43 PM, Arborshate said:

Thank you very much everybody!
And also thank you very much for featuring my report, @Dubbed Navigator! :)

@eyevolveHaha, that's exactly the one my girlfriend liked the least :-D Glad I still took that one!

Great reports get featured, and this certainly comes under that :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By .Gh0ast
      The Chateau LadyBug is a beautiful place to explore, with a lot of different styles and photo opportunities.
      The main building was built during the XIXth century.
      It became a restaurant during the 80's when a rich investor decided to reconvert himself in the restauration.
      He renovate the place to reach the standards of the most famous restaurants, hire a famous cook and won a star in the Michelin Guide quickly.
      Things turned bad for the owner when his chief cook decided to quit.
      Then, he tried to test his luck again by hiring two new cook, but without success, at all...
      Customers started to desert the place, bills started to piles up and bankrupt arrived few months later.

Currently, the place is for sale for more than 2M.
      We explored it just in time before it was closed and cameras were installed.

• By Landie_Man
      I had been waiting to do this one for a month or so; but simply hadn't found the time to hop on the M40 and up to Brum.  
      It was a good opportunity to meet up with some explorers whom I have been chatting to for the best part of ten years or so and do an explore at the same time!  

We arrived here mid morning one Sunday and once inside; the beauty of the place was revealed!  I really loved this place.  

Again though; it was full of the new age era of explorers; about a dozen of them, some videoing and some just shooting photos.  It's rare you bump into a person on explores, but lately its been every explore.  This one was flavour of the month back in the summer though!!

After the explore, we went to Costco for a cheap lunch in the canteen there and had a nice, chilled drive around the local area looking for other sites

The Hall, built between 1903 and 1904 by architects Ewan Harper and James Harper and the terracotta was made by Gibbs and Canning ltd of Tamworth, is situated at the northern end of Corporation Street in Birmingham. 

The hall is a 3 storey red brick and terracotta building with Grade II Listing on it, with  2000 seats in the main halll over 30 additional rooms including 3 school halls. 
      By 1991, the building had been converted into a nightclub which closed in 2002, but reopened as the Q Club in 2007. 
      This club's last event at the premises was "Flashback" in 2011. During its time as a Night Club 3 deaths were reported.  
      -A punter jumped off the tower in 1998 
      -A clubber OD'd in 2000 
      -A stabbing outside in 2008. 
      The Club reopened in 2012, but closed in 2016.  

In 2018; Birmingham city council granted planning permission to convert it into a 147 room hotel costing £35 million.
      Works have begun and are expected to be complete by 2020.

I just love the contrast between old and new here; with the older Methodists Hall and the big, modern buildings springing up around it.  There is a live part of the building and as we were there, a Gospel Band were practicing literally behind the wall; a strong scent of Jerk Chicken was filling the rooms of the abandoned part.  

Thanks for Looking, more of the Hall at:
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/landie_man/albums/72157674880523028
    • By Industrieller
      Nachdem er 15 Jahre für Nigeria Airways geflogen ist, wurde dieser Airbus A310-222 zu einem Cafe umgebaut. Zum ende wurde die location dann noch als Nachtclub genutzt. 
      Das Highlight des Cafés, war die Terrasse auf der Tragfläche.
      Ebenfalls steht noch ein Eisenbahnwagon auf dem Gelände, der als Eisdiele umgebaut und genutzt wurde.
      Über einem der Eingänge hängt noch eine Cessna 150G.
      Neben aktuellen Bilder habe ich, aus dem Internet, noch Bilder wie er zu den Zeiten als Cafe aussah.

• By The_Raw
      Gagra is a seaside resort in Abkhazia, a de facto republic in northwestern Georgia. It used to be a popular holiday destination until the Georgian-Abkhazian conflict broke out in 1992. Like much of Abkhazia, it has since become a shadow of its former self. The beaches are quiet and hundreds of its buildings lie abandoned, including this former sanatorium turned hotel, which we spotted looking overgrown on google maps. On our approach we saw what looked like a grand palace and thought we must have the wrong building, but sure enough it was the right one and turned out to be a bit of a stunner. Having looked online since we are by no means the first to visit here, and it even has a few reviews on trip advisor! Visited with elliot5200.

I may have got a bit carried away with photos of this entrance hall

The floor above

Not a bad view from the balcony

The back of the building was in worse condition

I could have spent longer in here but we had other stuff to see. Much of the town is abandoned, and indeed much of Abkhazia.

Thanks for looking.

• By TrevBish.co.uk
      The abattoir opened in 1960 and closed in early 2017. They opened up a new abattoir which can slaughter over 2 million pigs a year. This site will now be demolished for 100 houses, which is a relief to local residents who wanted the abattoir closed.