obscureserenity

Belgium Red Morgue Hospital - March 2018

Red Morgue Hospital

History

I couldn't find huge amount history on this location but from what I've gathered the hospital was built at some point in the early 20th century. It was funded by investors and at a time when nursing care was predominately carried out by the clergy. They wanted the hospital to become more secular in order to distance themselves from the church. 

The hospital was mainly used for surgery and featured several operating theatres but later on a maternity ward and outpatient clinic was introduced. About 90 years later the orginal hospital building was combined with a larger nearby hospital. The Red Morgue hospital was eventually closed around 2013. By this time it was only used to see outpatients, as most of it's services were provided by the new hospital which was more modern and sophisticated. 

Visit

Visited with @darbians on a weekend trip to Belgium. I was really keen to see this one after finding out about it and seeing a few photographs. It was great to see an old hospital in fairly good condition with some items still left, combined with a nice bit of decay.  As always,  hope you enjoy my photos ?

41717785871_a0899674f3_o.jpg

41717789181_25344bbbf6_o.jpg

41717792911_3b49285897_o.jpg

26850122517_4a6a322aa4_o.jpg

26850131447_ce1fefef6a_o.jpg

26850161527_696edcb8af_o.jpg

26850148317_6e7a9d9a7e_o.jpg

26850138997_4f65ac9e1b_o.jpg

26850156057_f73a462d21_o.jpg

26850168637_8d218b9cb7_o.jpg

26850175417_b7d4dea79e_o.jpg

41717781701_e4ba5377cd_o.jpg

(Spot the rookie error ?)

If you've got this far, thanks for reading!

• Like 7

The massive file sizes again? (Insert fav puppy sticker here) Or am I in a pic? 

?

Wait wonky af ceiling? 

I'll stop now. 

Great stuff. Always a pleasure out with you. 

Waaaah. I am in a pic. Sorry. 

1 minute ago, darbians said:

The massive file sizes again? (Insert fav puppy sticker here) Or am I in a pic? 

?

Wait wonky af ceiling? 

I'll stop now. 

Great stuff. Always a pleasure out with you. 

I resized these ones ? managed to capture myself in the reflection of the fridge door, ops! Might be a bit of wonk too ?

Thank you! And you too mate! Can't wait for the next one :) 

• Like 1

Your file sizes made my tablet melt! LooL ? Anyhow nice to see this place as you know when Ninja Freak and I went just after you it was freshly boarded. ? Nice pics and I didnt notice the rookie error at all! ????

1 hour ago, a World in Ruins said:

Your file sizes made my tablet melt! LooL ? Anyhow nice to see this place as you know when Ninja Freak and I went just after you it was freshly boarded. ? Nice pics and I didnt notice the rookie error at all! ????

Oh no! I resized them all ?? I couldn't believe it had! When we went it was pretty open ? thank you! Haha! Wasn't sure if anyone would have but I decided it was better to laugh at it than try and hide it ??

Edited by obscureserenity

31 minutes ago, obscureserenity said:

Oh no! I resized them all ?? I couldn't believe it had! When we went it was pretty open ? thank you! Haha! Wasn't sure if anyone would have but I decided it was better to laugh at it than try and hide it ??

Well im sure those shiny fresh boards will be ripped off again soon ???? 

Lovely!  The design and period of the corridors sort of remind me of UK hospitals as a kid in the 90s.  Except the wooden wall protectors were sort of a brown plastic which curved off on the ends!  Nice Morgue too.  Quite a retro place. 

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 9:21 PM, a World in Ruins said:

Well im sure those shiny fresh boards will be ripped off again soon ???? 

Hopefully soon! Then you can go ??

8 hours ago, hamtagger said:

That's a bit of a tasty looking fridge and nice theatre lights too, top stuff :thumb 

Thank you mate ?

7 hours ago, Landie_Man said:

Lovely!  The design and period of the corridors sort of remind me of UK hospitals as a kid in the 90s.  Except the wooden wall protectors were sort of a brown plastic which curved off on the ends!  Nice Morgue too.  Quite a retro place. 

Thank you! Does a little bit, didn't really feel like we were in another country! The morgue was definitely a highlight for me ?

That's nice! I like that marble table as well, Im presuming this is a viewing area. Odd that the fridges are in the same area as that unless I am mistaken but it is Belgium. Unless there is a mortuary slab hiding somewhere. I like odd though ?Pics are great, nice work :)

:comp:

23 hours ago, Urbexbandoned said:

That's nice! I like that marble table as well, Im presuming this is a viewing area. Odd that the fridges are in the same area as that unless I am mistaken but it is Belgium. Unless there is a mortuary slab hiding somewhere. I like odd though ?Pics are great, nice work :)

:comp:

I think it's all together! It wasn't a very big hospital and I'm assuming it wasn't really built for purpose either. Odd is always good ? thank you very much!

13 hours ago, prettypeculiar said:

lovely set, nice and clean edits 

Thank you very much :) 

13 hours ago, franconiangirl said:

Such a beautiful/interesting place and lovely shots! 

It was ? thank you!

• Like 1