Asylums are really my bag, but when I started exploring, there were only a handful left in the UK. Now they are essentially gone, I think its good to look back on the best pictures.

This should be limited to one per user, with the picture that attracts the most reputation gaining a spot as our website logo for a week.

Mine is a day room in West park, where I had a chilled out lunch.DSC_3215.JPG

• Like 1

I haven't t selected a "typical photo" from an asylum, with beds, chairs or something similar. Instead, a picture of a decayed corridor with doors, on the upper floor of the Ex Manicomio di Volterra / Asilo dei Dementi in Italy (opened in 1884, closed in 1978). I took this picture in 2012.

manicomio-volterra.jpg

• Like 2

my very first location on my very first UK trip and also my first encounter with a madman, who turned out to be the self proclaimed ' caretaker' of these buildings

I don't really call ' bricking up a wall out of dig turds  on the  window sink'  as 'taking care' but hey, maybe the comon uses are different accross the channel??? ;)

ended up in some kind of car chase with the guy too

so, here it is :

38218249712_484a058941_k.jpgSchisms 

Edited by prettypeculiar
  • Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By tumbles
      After three years in the wilderness, County Asylums has returned with a fresh look and a lot, lot more info.
      http://www.countyasylums.co.uk
      We've revised the 'asylum list' and each and every one of the asylums listed has there own page with details, history and photos. We'll be adding more to the site as and when we can but if you think you have anything worth contributing then drop us an email - [email protected]
    • By Perjury Saint
      Day 2 of the 'Tour Di Bastardi' and after ramming some croissants, coffee and that pre packed dry bread/toast stuff down our necks, Darbians, Masa and myself kicked off proceedings with a MASSIVE want of mine...
      Cant think of any better way of spending a glorious Italian summers morning than wandering around a sprawling, dusty, rotten hospital site...
      Rather picture heavy but hey... I don't care!

As always, thankyou please for looking

• By BadBatz
      Not much of a poster any more, but went out with friends and got some shots of Rauceby, Whittingham and St John's Asylums, histories haven't changed since the last reports.
      A nice reminder that it's not about the most epic or gas masks or fancy dress or hdr or not hdr it's about having fun with friends and taking shots you enjoy while soaking up the history and atmosphere.

Well there you go. Pictures and stuff of asylums.
      Just friends hanging out.