Jump to content
Lenston

UK Hunting Butts Tunnel - Cheltenham May 2018

Recommended Posts

History (GWSR.COM)

 

Hunting Butts tunnel often gets overlooked but it is the shorter of the two tunnels on the Honeybourne Line.  It has track laid through it and it is used to store rolling stock although the Cheltenham end of the tunnel is fenced off with a robust steel palisade.  Hunting Butts tunnel is just 97 yards long and was originally envisaged as a deep cutting.  However, this would have severed the gallops then used by the new racecourse so, perhaps with an eye on future revenue afforded by the racecourse the GWR agreed to build the tunnel and it was completed in the Autumn of 1904.  Cheltenham Race Course station was completed in 1912; six years after the line had opened throughout. 

 

 The Honeybourne Line was effectively closed in 1976 following a freight train derailment on what is now known as 'Chicken Curve' north of Winchcombe, probably because of movement in the embankment.  This is a problem that has beset this location since the 1920s and in January 2011 finally collapsed, severing the line.  No through trains traversed the route after that date and it was officially closed later November 1976. 

In 2010 the trackbed was replaced and is now used to store rolling stock.

 

Pics

41914628092_430cdc38e5_c.jpg

 

41914626672_8dcf0de017_c.jpg

 

41240808254_65e8d02619_c.jpg

 

41914624662_4f879bafbb_c.jpg

 

41914623132_366bd08e1c_c.jpg

 

41240800504_ec9d55b2d4_c.jpg

 

41240798164_91d617ed30_c.jpg

 

41240797014_461ba2ce42_c.jpg

 

41914616602_ca28eccbc7_c.jpg

 

41914615712_b6b6c67cc7_c.jpg

 

Thanks for looking 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Similar Content

    • By Stevepg
      Another well visited place May 2019
      Formerly it used to be some form of home for single mothers with children apparently from ireland (salvation army maternity home) , also kim catrell was apparently born there
      Now the depressing bit
      Two brothers were fined more than £82,000 after their “depressing, unhygienic and unsafe” care home was shut down by inspectors.
      These breaches were assessed by CQC as extreme, as the seriousness of the concerns placed a significant risk on the lives, health and well-being of the people living in the home.
      The premises were unsafe and poorly maintained. 
      There was insufficient hot water and unsafe windows in many people’s bedrooms. The premises were also unclean and placed people at risk from infection. 
      People were smoking in the building where the fire detection units were faulty and oxygen cylinders were also present which caused a considerable fire hazard.
      The list goes on and on thankfully no one died as a consequence the above issues






































    • By Stevepg
      Treading a well worn path to this behemoth of a building 
       
      The foundation stone for Greenbank Drive Synagogue was laid on 14 June 1936 by Baron Tobias Globe attended by the Chief Rabbi of the British Empire, Dr J H Hertz. The building was consecrated on August 15 1937 and opened by Professor Henry Cohen (a member of the congregation and later Lord Cohen of Birkenhead). The basement area of the building was originally used as a youth centre and the synagogue had its own scout troop (the 22nd Wavertree). During the blitz in 1941 Greenbank Drive Synagogue was used as a reception centre for bombed out families in Liverpool and held a non-Jewish service at Christmas. It was also used as a social centre during the war by American Jewish GIs stationed at an air base in Burtonwood, Warrington. After the war they presented a plaque to the congregation (displayed in the entrance hall). In May 1959 a burglar started a fire that destroyed the Ark and Torah scrolls and part of the roof structure. The building was subsequently restored by the original firm of architects at a cost of £50,000 and re-consecrated in 1961. Due to increasing competition the youth centre closed at this time. A further fire occurred in two first floor offices behind the ladies' gallery in 1965 but damage was confined to the former areas. The building ceases active use on January 5 2008.

































    • By KPUrban_
      A short little report from a little while back.
       
      Without going into too much detail this building is one of the more longer abandonments situated on the ground of a partially used hospital some where in the south.
       
      The ground around the building has been flattened and at the time of our visit workers were at it digging the land up or something like that. 
       
      After sneaking past the workers and into the building we spent a short period inside before the noise of wooden boards being cut filled the area. We got out before we couldn't anymore...
       
      DSC_1785-HDR 
       
      DSC_1791
       
      DSC_1794
       
      DSC_1773-HDR b
       
      DSC_1777-HDR 
       
      Anyways that'll be all.
×