it was actually a last minute decision to visit this explore.
en route home from doing the manton colliery explore i passed the fomer pumping station at bracebridge with a shall i or sha,nt i so a quick turn round of the car 
i squeezed in behind some twat in a skoda who thought it a very good idea to park across the entrance who then decided to move and the explore was on.

Built in 1881 Bracebridge Pumping Station was part of Worksop's new sewage system. It used two steam-driven beam engines (together with a travelling crane) to pump the sewage to the effluent processing facility. The engine was coal-fired, with the coal being brought in from nearby Shireoaks Colliery by boat via the Chesterfield Canal. Like many Victorian pumping stations it was built with no little style, designed in an Italian Romanesque style including ornate cast-iron columns and a spiral staircase. Apparently these remain inside (the columns are most definitely visible on external view).

Now Grade II Listed, the building along with 1.33 acres of land is currently bricked yp to prevent access so sorry no interior shots 
the old pumping station has been like this since it was refurbished many years ago there was talk of turning it into an attraction but nothing has happened yet and possibly wont do for the forseeable future

004.thumb.JPG.ffb79409c77c472177cb353ad6ec48ef.JPG

the old pumping station viewed from high hoe road

028.thumb.JPG.a246be725b10c898ffa5307c9faedcfb.JPG

the old beds still filled with water

032.thumb.JPG.24d4569d96e438c1e4176b18b6036e67.JPG

one of the victorian columns can still be seen through the windowless building

034.thumb.JPG.8ec886ce437b8d5d8c3e588de6f2728b.JPG

034.thumb.JPG.8ec886ce437b8d5d8c3e588de6f2728b.JPG

rising upwards towards the ornate chimney039.thumb.JPG.f9fc3547c7e103ab5b067d548f3a655f.JPG

a closer view of the ornate victorian columns

044.thumb.JPG.138dc719eacc08a92a7c7d3c943da9ff.JPG

the base of the chimney from the back of the pumping house

046.thumb.JPG.27c56d4707f5af84570406e24dd53cca.JPG

the rear of the pumphouse

051.thumb.JPG.b0fee3c3addbc8b0feb3c3fe8b5ffd05.JPG

the rear of the pumphouse and chimney

053.thumb.JPG.f071bb0474305a249fea2ac63e1c3487.JPG

the middle of the chimney with the lightning conductor on the right

054.thumb.JPG.fc1e982955944e9b8f05b239e5c80cc9.JPG

the top of the chimney and the lightning conductor

057.JPG.abde072f5b4f18a03ba68acd918edde1.JPG058.JPG.500527e2b28bd87c49de800b05889a53.JPG

someone had gained access inside by a rope tied to one of the windows but feeling a bit cream crackered i didnt fancy the tarzan routine so i didnt bother

045.JPG

047.JPG

049.JPG

052.JPG

• Like 3

Nice old brickstone building. Pity that you couldn't go inside. 

But I can understand it. I'm also not really a climbing master like Tarzan. ;) 

There really isn't much to see inside now, just some plinths where machinery once stood. I don't remember seeing the columns, but if they are still there they are no longer anything to write home about, sadly. Still a lovely old building though.

Definately worth a quick stop by, really like that brick work. Not sure why the effort wouldnt be made to at least cover the windows if they are going to brick it up but hey ho.

On 5/15/2018 at 5:02 PM, farmer.ned said:

i squeezed in behind some twat in a skoda who thought it a very good idea to park across the entrance who then decided to move and the explore was on.

Probbaly didnt expect someone to be interested in a busted old pumping station to be fair ?

Glad Worksop is good for something, I went there once years back on a hydraulics training course and it was the biggest shithole I've ever been too.

We walked into a pub and someone was doing a line of coke off the bar ?