Chateau Marianne / Chateau Alchimiste

History

Not much history on this location but it was rumoured to be have been once occupied by a former professor. The chateau is located in a small, rural town in France. The town's residents have halved in the last 40 years and it was beginning to look quite run down. I can imagine the nickname  'Alchimiste' (which means Alchemist in French) came from all the chemistry equipment left behind such as: test tubes, syringes, bottles, cylinders and beakers.  It seems the previous inhabitant was also a bit of an artist, we found many paintings scattered around the house and a large collection in the attic, as well as a small studio in an upstairs room. 

Visit

I visited this beautiful chateau on a euro trip with @PROJ3CTM4YH3M. We went the previous night to check to see if it was accessible and boy we were in for a shock! Neither of us realised how much stuff had been left and how interesting the contents were. We both particularly liked the framed butterfly collection which was hung up in one of the living rooms, as it reminded us of the film 'Silence of the Lambs.'  After a short investigation we decided to return the following day and booked a hotel in a nearby town.  Arriving the next morning once sun had risen, the place was really brought into it's element. So, as always, hope you enjoy my photos!

27608233037_e999c48908_o.jpg

27608231447_354454b09e_o.jpg

41756677354_7d25026d4f_o.jpg

41756679494_16b99c7efa_o.jpg

41576398965_6ffb021ec9_o.jpg     

42478887911_24d64de669_o.jpg

41576399645_b4e323cf60_o.jpg

42478892801_91f3cedd0f_o.jpg

27608254657_b488332877_o.jpg

27608257507_9224012c1c_o.jpg

42478891361_b59d86b3db_o.jpg

42428381852_b0c01ab21c_o.jpg

27608229827_c5ca976744_o.jpg

27608256187_3d9cbf2bc9_o.jpg

42478886281_f4763c586d_o.jpg

42478889421_077bdebf21_o.jpg

41576400495_81af1e4653_o.jpg

42428382422_8661a985cf_o.jpg

42428381102_9665ed358a_o.jpg

If you've got this far, thanks for reading :thumb

• Like 8

I remember your excitement at this one  but i didnt realise it was this good! Lovely pics too. Loving all those vintage bottles especially! ??????????

Edited by a World in Ruins
Spelling

21 hours ago, a World in Ruins said:

I remember your excitement at this one  but i didnt realise it was this good! Lovely pics too. Loving all those vintage bottles especially! ??????????

It was beautiful ? I'll have to take you when we go to France! The vintage bottles made me so happy haha! ?

This place is absolutely fantastic. Old furniture, pictures, bottles and chemistry things, decay ... Awesome, exactly my taste. I would love to see it by my own. Really great.

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 8:51 AM, Andy said:

This place is absolutely fantastic. Old furniture, pictures, bottles and chemistry things, decay ... Awesome, exactly my taste. I would love to see it by my own. Really great.

Thank you! Yeah, it was right up my street! If you end up in France at any point I'd definitely recommend popping in :)

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 4:07 PM, AndyK! said:

Some lovely pics there, nice job

Thank you Andy :)

On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 8:36 PM, Satori said:

Amazing!!! congratulation?

Thank you ?

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 4:29 PM, Dubbed Navigator said:

This is absoutely top drawer, great location, great writeup, super sharp pics. :comp:

Thank you very much!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Landie_Man
      This one has a bit of a bittersweet ending for me really/.  It's practically on my doorstep but I didn't find out about it till about 2016/17 and it closed in 2010 with much disgust from the locals!  
      I had tried and failed it numerous times because of either filming taking place on site; or workmen.

I went to check it out just before Christmas and found it to have a small demo crew inside who very kindly granted me 15 minutes in the pool area only, and they came and checked on me every 3 or 4 mins.  It had been partly gutted by this point and they were so nice, I kept to my word and only left with a few photos.

Hints were dropped of the quietness of the site around the Christmas Period; but I had my disabled partner, Pearl staying for a few weeks, and I had booked several weeks off work to be with her as to me, that was far more important!!!  So I didn't bother returning.  

Still; I am also glad I didn't leave empty handed!

More At:
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/landie_man/albums/72157676566144727
    • By True_British_Metal
      Solo jaunts.

So after Chinese New Year there was yet another public holiday in Taiwan, and you know what that means? More exploring! This here is a compilation of different sites all well known to the exploring network, all very famous but compared to the general benchmark not enough to warrant standalone reports again. As I mentioned before, sometimes it's about scratching the itch just to get it off your mind rather than the drop-everything hit-the-road urge you get for some places.

台灣民俗村/Taiwan Folk Village
      Taiwan Folk Village was a mock-traditional park east of Huatan, near Zhanghua in the Bagua Mountain Scenic Area. Opened in 1993 it was a hugely successful site, a showcase of Taiwan traditional temples and aboriginal architecture (straw huts, temples and so forth) although if you ask me it all felt tacky with little historic value. That's the trouble with Taiwan; compared to Europe precious little remains of genuine, traditional architecture of dynasty's gone past. Not only that, I cannot understand what desire people have to turn such places into theme parks complete with swimming pools and rides rather than showcase the history. I digress. 

As with so many places in Taiwan, the 921 Earthquake meant a sharp drop in visitor numbers, pushing the operating company into the red, culminating in closure come 2012.

It's in the backwaters of Taiwan with no public transport, so I had to begrudgingly take a taxi to get there. Unfortunately the taxi driver was oblivious to my intentions and dropped me off at the main gate, in full view of security. I get out, and there they are sat outside the cabin staring at me and wondering what I want to do. I don't want to ruin my chances and arouse suspicion, so I walked away as they watched. Awkward. I walk up the road and look for a way in, but there's a huge drop from the road down to the boundary fence. Getting in was a mission to say the least, having to find a safe spot to drop down and then find a suitable point to actually enter the site! I finally found one after considerable effort, then had to beat through thick bushes to get onto the roof of the main walls. A challenge, but I have an itch to scratch so I don't have a choice.

Although I've lived in Taiwan for 2+ years, for those unfamiliar with Asian architecture the attention to detail in temples is beautiful; each aspect is unique. Unfortunately the interior was stripped and somewhat decayed with zero interest.

The site is not fully abandoned, however. There are plenty of buddhist shrines and the mock-village buildings are still maintained by on-site staff. I saw a handful of scooters parked up around the site, and was certain there was someone lurking in places least expected so I had to be very careful.

The biggest problem however was a dozen or so stray dogs who ran around in packs. Any sight of a foreigner liked myself triggered a chorus of barking, not out of hostility but perhaps curiosity and simply being an unexpected presence. Unfortunately this meant I had to move fast from building to building to avoid getting attention from security or caretakers.

I tried to access the best part of the site, the beautiful mock-village quarters in the middle of the site, however to protect the shrines and interior these were completely locked up.

At the northernmost part of the site was a large temple, which I managed to get inside however the interior was completely empty and lacking in interest. I was absolutely certain there was a caretaker lurking inside too, so only 2 shots.

I went in search of the carousel and theme park attractions to the west of the site, however since the previous reports these have all been demolished. No loss, but that meant it was time to leave, so I headed back out and bade farewell. A derp for sure, but not a complete waste of time.

Stay tuned for the rest. Love as always,

TBM x
    • By Vancolen Kevin
      I had an awesome time here, it's a huge abandoned factory
      It's still guarded, but easy to visit ..

I've spend a lot of time inside and a local person also told us about the history of the place.
      His family didn't have any hot water, so when he was a child , his mother used to take him to the factory to give him a bath .

• By Beneficial-Cucumber
      https://imgur.com/gallery/iy0gFth

Figured I'd just link the album here since it's eaisier, not used since the 70s
    • By a World in Ruins
      Once in a while a house appears that is just something else and this house was one of those. Visited with Ninja Kitten one cold November day. I know a lot of history to this house but will hold it back to protect the house. Giving too much detail of its history along with names would compromise it. The photographs can speak for themselves. A veritable feast of dusty vintage artefacts locked in another time. The bedroom pictured here looked as if it had remained as it was when the very young soldier perished in WW1. An organic museum if ever there was one in existence. A museum to a fallen soldier.
      Hope you enjoy