Jump to content

Recommended Posts

A large abandoned iron mine with miles of tunnels and several levels. We've been here 3 times and still not seen a fraction of it. Yet we walked 20 Km in there. There should be some big vehicles in there but only found some tracks. But we found  a lot of little things like old miner boot with real nails in the soles,a small horse shoe and imprints of horseshoe's and miner boots. From some places it took more 1.5 Hr just to get to the only entry. And unfortunately at the last visit we saw that effort are been made to seal the entry up. A big wire mesh was placed, a wheelbarrow and some mounting materials were present there but no workers. I think it was raining to hard that day.. Probably  the entry is closed now.

But sure fun to explore there an been off the grid for some hours.

37547938691_bc2762e6e5_b.jpgIMG_9504 by Bart Hamradio, on Flickr

 

37289313160_f7a449df91_b.jpgIMG_9497 by Bart Hamradio, on Flickr

 

23695646218_f42f5d295f_b.jpgIMG_9489 by Bart Hamradio, on Flickr

 

37289314960_d7783fb231_b.jpgIMG_9480 by Bart Hamradio, on Flick

 

40341654795_7c208aa508_b.jpgIMG_1291 by Bart Hamradio, on Flickr

 

40341653795_88ab782f16_b.jpgIMG_1300 by Bart Hamradio, on Flickr

 

39427708920_0fc2077225_b.jpgIMG_1304 by Bart Hamradio, on Flickr

 

39427705930_3bbda9304f_b.jpgIMG_1317 by Bart Hamradio, on Flickr

 

40341651945_2fe52d31f8_b.jpgIMG_1321 by Bart Hamradio, on Flickr

 

39427703340_b2848f6502_b.jpgIMG_1325 by Bart Hamradio, on Flickr

 

40523501084_018801974b_b.jpgIMG_1327 by Bart Hamradio, on Flickr

 

42271327304_5e51e556f6_b.jpgIMG_0679 by Bart Hamradio, on Flickr

 

42271324394_0ba1fb3fe8_b.jpgIMG_0687 by Bart Hamradio, on Flickr

 

29117570128_683c2c47b0_b.jpgIMG_0689 by Bart Hamradio, on Flickr

 

37516355742_8d5026fbc4_b.jpgIMG_9499 by Bart Hamradio, on Flickr

 

 

Edited by teddybear
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks . Lightning was done mostly with 2 flash lights. One for the further parts and one (sometimes with a diffuser paper) for the foreground. And then light painting with them.

Exposure time used around 30 seconds.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Similar Content

    • By lucan
      all that remains of a decoy airfield 
      small bunker type construction with a searchlight mounted on top  and a small room at the back to house a gennerator
      fires would have been light at night at this location to fool the german bombers to target here instead of  the real site a few miles away
      the searchlight platform is now fallien off and just a pile of bricks and metal
       

       

       

       

       

       

       

       

       

       

       
      thanks for looking
    • By lucan
      Spotted this while out and about so popped in for a look, not a great deal left behind
      In the middle of a small town on the Shropshire border
      Had to be fairly quiet as it is surrounded by houses
      Looks like its not been lived in for a couple of years
      A stable block out back, loads of TV sets and old Playstation mags , one of which gives the name I gave the place
       

       

       

       

       

       

       

       

       

       

       

       

       

       

       

       

       

       

       

       

       

       

       

       

       

       

       

       
       
      thanks for looking
    • By a World in Ruins
      First a little History [you all know it, but it's good to include anyway] 😃
       
      The Dispensary – the first public hospital in North Staffordshire – opened in Etruria in April 1804 and was funded in part by the Wedgewood family. It gave sick patients the chance to see an Apothecary for diagnosis and treatment. It also provided vaccination against the dreaded smallpox, thanks to the pioneering work of Dr Edward Jenner. Shortly afterwards the 11-bed House of Recovery was opened for fever patients, followed by facilities to treat general and accident patients.
      The hospital continued to expand, due to a steady flow of general illness cases, accidents in the pottery, mining and iron industries and diseases caused by lead and dust. In 1819 it moved to a bigger site in Etruria. By this point it employed a small team of support staff, including a matron and nurses, and ran education programmes urging mine and factory owners to improve their safety standards. Thanks to new ideas about infection control, the building - surrounded by polluting factories - was increasingly seen as unsuitable for patients and was also at risk of collapse from heavy undermining. Eventually, the decision was made to move the infirmary to Hartshill. The clean, quiet suburb became home in 1869 to the North Staffordshire Royal Infirmary, which later merged with the City General Hospital to form the University Hospital of North Staffordshire – now the Royal Stoke University Hospital. Previously the hospital was known as The North Staffordshire Infirmary and Eye Hospital (1815 - 1911) as well as The North Staffordshire Infirmary (1912 - 1926). 
      The building closed down as a medical facility in 2012 as part of the super-hospital development at the Royal Stoke University Hospital.
       
      The explore: Visited with David [ Scrappy ]. It rained, a lot. 😀
      The morgue was a bit of a let down as the slabs had recently been removed and placed in a nearby corridor in front of the fridges. Oh well....
       
      On to the photographs, hope you enjoy:
       

       

       

       

       

       

       

       

       

       

       

       

       

    • By AndyK!
      HMP Holloway was the largest women’s only prison in Europe until its closure in 2016. Rebuilt between 1971 to 1985, the prison's design was intended to produce an atmosphere more like a hospital than a prison. This design was recognised as a failure in the 1980s as its lack of traditional wings or landings, and a maze of corridors, means warders had difficulty monitoring inmates.
       


      Entrance to the rebuilt prison (CC Licence)  
      The history of Holloway dates back to 1852 when the original prison opened as a mixed-sex establishment, but due to the increasing demand for space for female prisoners, it became female-only in 1903. Inmates of the original prison included Oscar Wilde, and more recently Moors murderess Myra Hindley from 1966.
       


      The original Holloway Prison (public domain image)  
      Holding female adults and young offenders either sentenced by the courts or being held on remand, the prison consisted mostly of single cells, but there was also various dormitory accommodation. In January 2016 an inquest into the death of Sarah Reed, a paranoid schizophrenic being held on remand, identified failings in the care system. The prison was closed in July 2016, with plans for it to be sold for housing.
       
      Time to start the unofficial tour....


      Wandering between the modern buildings within the prison grounds 

      Let's head straight into the cells...


      Dorm room


      Single prisoner cell


      Another dorm room


      Mural in one of the many winding corridors


      Twin room


      Lots of peely paint in some places


      There were several styles of cell


       
      Entrance into the prison...


      Prisoner transport vehicles would park inside this area, and the gates closed behind them


      The front entrance leads into this area, with a command room behind the glass


      Corridors lead into the prison


      Each area separated by iron gates

      Prisoner amenities and facilities


      Entrance into the "family friendly" visitor centre.


      Visitors and prisoners could be kept separated in these divided rooms


      The prison had a swimming pool for prisoners to use


      And gym facilities


      The glazed walkway was decorated by inmates


      The prison had a medical ward, including its own opticians


      Pharmacy


      Covered walkway leading to the chapel. Note the high-security walls


      The chapel was large but pretty basic


      More inmate artwork


      Mural inside one of the rooms


      A room for presentations


      The prison's boiler house


      Exterior of the buildings within the prison walls


      High fences divided the exterior areas
    • By franconiangirl
      The small and simple house is a building that might be overlooked pretty easily. Yet, upon entering the small world of the former owner reveals itself. Anna's small realm appeared simple but pretty cosy as well. Faith was visible part of her life. She was a nun who was also engaged in missionary work abroad. According to speculations the sister never came back home from a foreign mission in a crisis region. To what extent the rumours of her disappearance are true is probably always going to stay an unsolved mystery. 
       
      1

      2

      3

      4

      5

      6

      7

      8

      9

      10

      11

       
       
×