Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Hooismans
      History
      This colliery was opened in 1901 due to the increasing demand of coal in this heavy industrialized area of Germany. After that this coal mine grew rapidly in the amount of employees and the amount of coal that was made in this place, this complex made on its peak around 9000 tons coal per day. In 1997 this coal mine was sold to another big german coal mining concern. in 2010 this place needed to be shut down to new environmental reasons and because mining coal in this area was outdated and too expensive. 

Our explore:
      when we went to this place we didn't really knew what to expect of this place this was because we didn't really saw any photos of this place at that time, i only knew that there was a nice cooling tower on this site and that there was a control room somewhere. When we entered the complex we could pretty much walk free around, there warent any camera's or sensors at the time of exploring. After walking around for awhile we found an entrance to the admin building. When we got inside we were absolutely staggered with the state this building was in. Everything was still like the closing day in 2010, and it was really nice and warm inside (75 degrees Fahrenheit). There was also an amazing room full of baskets, this one is probably one of the better examples. 

I really liked exploring this place!

Elephant by Hooismans, on Flickr

Bergwerk HR by Hooismans, on Flickr

Cooling Tower by Hooismans, on Flickr

Cooling Tower by Hooismans, on Flickr

Bergwerk HR by Hooismans, on Flickr

Baskets by Hooismans, on Flickr

I also made a video of this place where i tell the history of this place. And where i explain were certain rooms were used for.
      It is is dutch but i has Subtitles.

Thanks for reading through!
    • By SpiderMonkey
      Before heading to this colliery, we had been viewing photos of the recent demolition. Images of headstocks lying crumpled on the ground didn't exactly give us much hope, but without any other options until much later in the day, we headed on to see if there was at least a scrap of something nice left behind. It turned out that it was largely the plant side of things that had been demolished, and these areas often turn out to be fairly uninspiring anyway. To our surprise, a big handful of buildings were left behind, including the bath house, admin, and the tall winding tower, which was our first target. 

Visited with @AndyK!, Terminal Decline and @extreme_ironing

The colliery operated from 1901 until 1997, when the site was acquired by RAG, at which time it became Bergwerk Ost. It was fully shut down in 2010. 

Winding Gear - 

The next target was the bath house and admin building, just a quick dash across the road - 

Lamp room - 

Admin - 

A typical zeche atrium -

Some front areas were quite grand -

Next was the power house, which turned out to be much better than expected - 

Upon first glance, the building appeared to be completely turbine free, only revealing only a large hall and an alright looking control panel - 

But upon further inspection, we found this tasty greenboi, which made it all the more worth it - 

There's a couple more bits to see here, would be interesting to see inside if anyone manages to crack the last bits before it's fully redeveloped.

Cheers 👍

• By Ghost-Scooter
      I know the Ruhr region being active from many trips to visit my grandparents in my childhood. Chimneys were smoking all over the way on the left or right of the highway. Last year the last active coal mine was closed. So I definately had to explore an old mine. Unfortunately I decided for the wrong one - it already has been demolished. Being disappointed from the first stop I decided to visit a not that spectacular mine that was around and surely open. Sadly this one was destroyed by vandalism but still representative. 

• By Ghost-Scooter
      It had 27°C when I visited Rosemarie's really tiny mold house.  Humidity and mold hampered breathing. The narrowness inside made it hard to find a good postion for the camera. Sadly there were hardly no personal things left but anyway.. that's the way I like it ..  uh-huh, uh-huh 

• By Andy
      Two abandoned houses, located on a hillside plot in a small town. One of them was once inhabited by an engraver of stones. I couldn't find out more about the houses, so I don't know when they were abandoned. In the interior there were still many memorabilia and a lot of old photos.

THE LOWER HOUSE

THE UPPER HOUSE