HISTORY

Tenterden Town railway station is a heritage railway station on the Kent and East Sussex Railway in Tenterden, Kent, England.

When the railway line first opened in 1900, Rolvenden Station was known as "Tenterden". Its name was changed when the line extended north three years later and a station closer to Tenterden was constructed. The new Tenterden Town station opened on 16 March 1903.The line closed for regular passenger services on 4 January 1954 and all traffic in 1961. It reopened on 3 February 1974 under the aegis of the Tenterden Railway Company which bought the line between Tenterden and Bodiam. The station now houses the KESR's Carriage and Wagon works, and the Colonel Stephens Museum is located nearby.

EXPLORE

So we set out on our explore with a list of places We wanted to check out. After a few not amounting to much and the next couple being total fails, we parked up and regrouped! 

The  Tenterden site had been on my radar for a while (although I couldn’t be 100% about it’s location) so after a little discussion we decided to take a chance and head out to try and find the Lost Railway and its Train Graveyard.

We headed toward the closest point by road, parked up and set off along a short path way. The area was really quiet apart from the odd dog walker.  After literally five minutes we knew we were in the right place and could see the abandoned trains hidden amongst the trees.  Access was easy literally a small hop over the fence and down the bank, there they were! 

Its the first time any of us had ever done an explore of this nature and it was amazing... 

Anyway here are some of the pictures we took throughout the explore.

Thanks for reading 😊

CCA88948-4756-4834-A235-358B1573D263.jpeg

AAFA98B3-EDEF-4254-AB8F-35F0BC424D80.jpeg

D9A7650B-FC79-4B6B-B519-D956FC976C4B.jpeg

BEEA9542-C673-4D17-9446-7547D489F51C.jpeg

1FB2450C-6B9F-4585-9D10-C08E0C72A5C7.jpeg

A875BAEA-34AD-4154-B133-1D4E830DB97B.jpeg

1F6E1298-F452-48EE-8722-F44910C70F7C.jpeg

1F9975FA-241A-419C-8C21-436AABCF5696.jpeg

FB449254-8B4E-403C-A460-0214E88E61DE.jpeg

EED84649-F822-403D-99E0-A85E98B221AD.jpeg

1FC0E364-37DA-4C39-A940-60E7BF4B977E.jpeg

29571234-AAA1-4C45-A7F9-F476E6510FC4.jpeg

37BFBF17-7E26-4BB4-9BDE-1E66E75A719B.jpeg

0AEFF5A9-F783-400A-92E0-DFB948ECC326.jpeg

C5C80C3A-38F5-4E9E-8187-7B4A68E44270.jpeg

218B170A-73A7-4EF5-A8C2-AD4D815ECEBE.jpeg

07FE8D76-FE3C-432E-8D6F-10F75AA28339.jpeg

990138D3-62E9-4B8F-B71D-E79F2FD91831.jpeg

65E685E2-1084-48C9-9218-8EF7E73E3D13.jpeg

67A0C310-1F05-44E5-AA78-3FF77A6FDC70.jpeg

2C8E15CD-908C-49E1-B307-37164916F0F0.jpeg

3AA2CB0F-D3A4-4624-AAC0-2E3054913A78.jpeg

33236BEA-3F8B-4C79-A3E0-DE9A0F3464A3.jpeg

4721BC93-8A01-4B71-89E0-F0F4230809AC.jpeg

EBBCCEF6-F4A3-423F-82E4-554BFC9CB0FE.jpeg

704E926C-FF27-4B62-89B8-FBAEE108E4CA.jpeg

46CB0562-3532-494A-9DE3-037418AE1141.jpeg

Edited by btn_urbex
  • Like 1

On 8/14/2018 at 1:23 PM, btn_urbex said:

37BFBF17-7E26-4BB4-9BDE-1E66E75A719B.jpeg

Partly already pretty rotten, but an interesting history and some very nice shots.  The pic above is one of my favorite, I really like the plants between the rusty train. :) 

• Thanks 1

Thank you! 😁

This is my favourite picture too... 

yep some of the flooring is a bit iffy, it was the first time I’ve ever done a site like this and really enjoyed it 😊

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By DirtyJigsaw
      Afternoon All, 

Ive finally got around to putting up afew photos from my recent trip to New York, and on my second day there i visited the Ellis Island Immigrant Hospital

Heres some info/history, i wont post it all as on the Wiki page, there is alot of history, which you can see here if you wanna see more

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellis_Island_Immigrant_Hospital

The Ellis Island Immigrant Hospital, also known as USPHS Hospital #43, was the United States’ first public health hospital, opened in 1902 and operating as a hospital until 1930. Constructed in phases, the facility encompassed both a general hospital and a separate pavilion style contagious disease hospital. The hospital served as a detention facility for new immigrants who were deemed unfit to enter the United States after their arrival; immigrants would either be released from the hospital to go on to a new life in America or sent back to their home countries. The hospital was one of the largest public health hospitals in United States history and is still viewed today as an extraordinary endeavor in the public health field.[5]
      The hospital is part of the Statue of Liberty National Monument. While the monument is managed by the National Park Service as part of the National Parks of New York Harbor office, the south side of Ellis Island has been off-limits to the general public since its closing. Efforts to restore the hospital buildings and others on the island are being made by government partner Save Ellis Island. In October 2014, the hospital opened to the public for small-group hard hat tours.[6]

The original immigration station on Ellis Island opened January 1, 1892, and processed 700 people that first day. In September of that year, the Hamburg-America steamer S.S. Moravia[7] arrived at quarantine with several confirmed cases of cholera. Every ship arriving in the port of New York was held at quarantine before being cleared to land. Passengers found to have dangerous contagious diseases were taken off ships at quarantine and transferred to the hospital at either Hoffman or Swinburne Island. Twenty-four of Moravia's passengers were ill and twenty-two deaths had occurred during the voyage. Many were children. It was believed that the outbreak occurred due to the ship taking on contaminated water from the Elbe river. The threat of a pandemic caused all shipping traffic to be suspended. The backlog of ships held at quarantine and the lack of adequate medical facilities to handle the volume quickly precipitated the need for a more robust healthcare facility to treat immigrants and merchant marine sailors.

Twenty years after opening, the hospital, as well as Ellis Island itself, was in decline due to tightening restrictions on immigration in the United States. In 1930, the hospital closed its doors.[10] After the hospital was closed, the FBI occupied the space as an office through the 1930s. During World War II, disabled American servicemen were sometimes housed on the islands, as well as some German and Italian prisoners of war. After the war, many war brides were detained and sometimes treated on Ellis Island. During the 1940s, the hospitals were utilized to treat Merchant Marine sailors, Coast Guardsmen, and U.S. military personnel. During the postwar period, electroconvulsive therapy was employed as a method to treat mental illnesses. This was preferred over the archaic cold water bath therapy or hydropathy, which could cause hypothermia.
      In 1954, the islands were officially abandoned by the Coast Guard and declared “excess federal property”. In 1996, the World Monuments Fund listed the hospital as one of the world’s 100 Most Endangered Properties, a warning echoed by the National Trust for Historic Preservation, which put the buildings on the list of “most endangered historical places in the United States.” A study conducted by the New York Landmarks Conservancy estimated that with about $3 million of federal funding, the Ellis Island Immigrant Hospital could be stabilized for the next 15 years. According to the Conservancy, 15 years would allow time to develop a long-term preservation plan

You would have noticed some art on the walls in the photos, this was by a French street artist JR awakens history with his ‘Unframed – Ellis Island’ Exhibition. The tour and exhibition provide an immersive visual and sensory experience loaded with historical significance. It is not to be missed! ~ Rachael Silverstein, The Culture Trip
      The work, which is accessible by guided tour, will remain up “until it decides to disappear.” 
      The Unframed—Ellis Island project aims to bring alive the memory of Ellis Island, the entry point to America for millions of immigrants. Coming from all over the world, leaving their belongings, their family and their past behind them, with the fear that they may be sent back to it, the presence of these people who have shaped the modern American identity can still be felt in the buildings, although abandoned for the past 70 years. This is the opportunity to interpret the stories of these people through art.
      JR’s exhibit lives in the abandoned Ellis Island Immigrant Hospital, on the south side of the island. Archival photographs of the hospital’s patients and staff were artistically wheat-pasted around the abandoned hospital complex of Ellis Island’s south side, creating haunting scenes that bring the history of these rooms back to life.

Thanks for looking

DJ
    • By Andy
      Visited during a trip to Wales in May with @The_Raw 
      When we arrived, an elderly man was sitting in front of the former church, which is on a private property. I spoke to him and he referred to the owner, who lives in a house behind the chapel. She gladly allowed us to enter the building and take pictures inside. While she got the key, we played with her dog, who was enthusiastic about our occupation with him ...

Siloam Methodist Chapel was built in 1833, rebuilt in 1866 and modified in 1878. The 1886 chapel was built in the Sub-Classical style of the gable-entry type. Siloam closed in 1993 and has since been converted for secular use. The current owner bought the church a few years ago and uses it today as a storage area.

• By jane doe
      I remember this being a real nice explore except for loads of pigeon shite everywhere 

• By Landie_Man
      Back in July, myself and @mookster revisited a site which we both explored back in May 2010 where we piloted my beloved 1978 Land Rover Series III to leafy Surrey.  It was a roasting hot day and as an explorer of a year and a bit, it was an exciting huge factory explore which we spent hours in.

Fast forward well over eight years and we decide to try a few sites around Surrey and London and head here for a revisit.  A lot had happened here in eight years; all documented on crappy YouTube videos and various visits over the year, the site had been torn apart, once secured with guards, fences erected and just pillaged for its innards.  

I'd heard about being a muddy swamp inside in the rain; hardly suprising as it was a cat litter factory producing cat litter mined from Fullers Earth from a quarry on the same site.  
      We arrived on site in a similarly ancient car; my 1988 Volvo 240 GLT on a much hotter day; quite a roasting day.  Perfect exploring weather.

The years had not been good; it was battered, beaten and stripped beyond recognition; not suprising seeing as it shut in 1994. I did not recognise this place at all.  But it kind of had a charm in the summer sun, it looked like the sort of factory you'd explore on GTA Free Roam, or Driver and find Tommy Vermicelli hiding!!

Good to see it again for nostalgia in any case.  

We spent an hour ish here before moving on to London where we ended up sitting in traffic for ages and going to a very tasty place which served bowls of meat gravy with a burger to bathe in it.  Very good it was too!

More At:
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/landie_man/albums/72157673570696148
    • By AlexAvenue
      Found our way into a small cave in the Yorkshire dales.