Mikeymutt

UK RAF Bentwaters..Suffolk

This is awesome! Everything you expect of a good RAF base, brutal architecture, razor wire fences and that menacing look, and to top it off still has planes and helicopters! Can't beat that!

• Thanks 1

On 9/5/2018 at 4:23 AM, Andy said:

Nice report & great pics!

Thank you andy

20 hours ago, jane doe said:

really nice photos :) 

Thank you very much 

6 hours ago, AndyK! said:

This is awesome! Everything you expect of a good RAF base, brutal architecture, razor wire fences and that menacing look, and to top it off still has planes and helicopters! Can't beat that!

Thank you Andy.thats very kind.i do love the brutal feel of old airfields 

On 9/6/2018 at 11:42 PM, The_Raw said:

Bloody hell that ticks just about all the boxes really. Awesome stuff mate :thumb

Cheers mate very kind of you 

On 9/8/2018 at 1:21 AM, obscureserenity said:

Excellent report mate! Love how much detail you put into it. Thanks for posting :)

Thank you very much 😊

7 hours ago, hamtagger said:

Absolute top report that Mikey!! A little bit of everything and right up my street :) 

:comp:

Cheers matey I had a feeling this would be up your street 

• Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Dale68
      In the forest sits this stone building, I can't find any info on it other that it's sitting on a settlement mound.

Video.. https://youtu.be/nGuRNOeRuA8

• By Dale68
      Been waiting all week to go here only to find it's all been boarded back . so just some from the outside.☹️

• By lucan
      The company was established in 1949 , they relocated in 2015 to a more central location and just left the site ,
      there is a small petrol station at the front consisting of two bungalows , one is fairly empty and the other is full of paperwork from the petrol sales , 
      not a huge ammount left in the factory but a fair bit of office stuff laying round and a few work stations , decaying nicely in a few places
      on with the pics from my visit 

thanks for looking
    • By Landie_Man
      I had been waiting to do this one for a month or so; but simply hadn't found the time to hop on the M40 and up to Brum.  
      It was a good opportunity to meet up with some explorers whom I have been chatting to for the best part of ten years or so and do an explore at the same time!  

We arrived here mid morning one Sunday and once inside; the beauty of the place was revealed!  I really loved this place.  

Again though; it was full of the new age era of explorers; about a dozen of them, some videoing and some just shooting photos.  It's rare you bump into a person on explores, but lately its been every explore.  This one was flavour of the month back in the summer though!!

After the explore, we went to Costco for a cheap lunch in the canteen there and had a nice, chilled drive around the local area looking for other sites

The Hall, built between 1903 and 1904 by architects Ewan Harper and James Harper and the terracotta was made by Gibbs and Canning ltd of Tamworth, is situated at the northern end of Corporation Street in Birmingham. 

The hall is a 3 storey red brick and terracotta building with Grade II Listing on it, with  2000 seats in the main halll over 30 additional rooms including 3 school halls. 
      By 1991, the building had been converted into a nightclub which closed in 2002, but reopened as the Q Club in 2007. 
      This club's last event at the premises was "Flashback" in 2011. During its time as a Night Club 3 deaths were reported.  
      -A punter jumped off the tower in 1998 
      -A clubber OD'd in 2000 
      -A stabbing outside in 2008. 
      The Club reopened in 2012, but closed in 2016.  

In 2018; Birmingham city council granted planning permission to convert it into a 147 room hotel costing £35 million.
      Works have begun and are expected to be complete by 2020.

I just love the contrast between old and new here; with the older Methodists Hall and the big, modern buildings springing up around it.  There is a live part of the building and as we were there, a Gospel Band were practicing literally behind the wall; a strong scent of Jerk Chicken was filling the rooms of the abandoned part.  

Thanks for Looking, more of the Hall at:
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/landie_man/albums/72157674880523028
    • By Landie_Man
      So back in August (yes I'm slow as ever!); a non-explorer friend and myself visited The Springs in Wallingford, which at the time was a bit of a local tourist trap; but it was an afternoon out!
      It had really dawned on me at this point which way this hobby is going these days.  No word of a lie; there was at least 15 people in that hotel, all this new wave of "YouTube Explorer" we all have our opinions of.  They were all nice enough there and then, but a couple were very, very loud and had small children with them.  

Inevitably, a member of staff of the live Golf Course this was on came and flushed everyone out, myself and my friend sat in an old en-suite upstairs and waited for it to die down.  
      After that; we explored for an hour and a half or so; not much to see here, fairly plain, but it was an enjoyable day out.  Upon exit the same Golf Course Staff found us, but were polite and we were on our way.
      The original build dates back to 1874; a Mock Tudor Style building, this Victorian Villa has been massively altered and extended from the original. 

Rock Star Ian Gillan of Deep Purple, purchased the villa in 1973 and was behind its and installed a guitar shaped swimming pool in the grounds behind the building before its later conversion into a 32 bedroom hotel. 

The last owners bought the hotel in 1995 and added a large golf course and club to the grounds. 

The Springs finally closed in 2014 after the owners could no longer afford the vast upkeep.  The Golf Club however; voted one of the best in Oxfordshire is still open.

As Always Guys, Thank You.  More Hotel At:
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/landie_man/albums/72157674868589418