Forum update Read more... ×
AndyK!

UK Winter Gardens, Great Yarmouth - September 2018

Great Yarmouth, or more accurately just Yarmouth is a typically tacky seaside town with mile upon mile of the stereotypical kind of tat and tasteless amusement arcades you only find on the shorelines of England. The kind of establishments that have lightweight wooden chairs that only the elderly find comfortable. If you ever get the chance to visit, politely decline at all costs! We had the misfortune of accidentally finding ourselves at a lose end in the area, the terrible weather on that drab Sunday morning only added to the misery, but the Winter Gardens, by its very nature, provided a nice bit of shelter from the pouring rain and anorak-clad diehard candyfloss eaters... A relic from the heyday of the English beach holiday, it is one of the few remaining places along the seafront to retain any of the Victorian charm that (probably) once adorned the town. It's basically just a big conservatory, so don't get excited! It has a bit of ok-ish ironwork and that's about it. But, if you like wearing wigs, climbing on shit and getting inside stuff that you're not supposed to go in, then this place is lots of fun, a satisfying playground for those of us who, to quote Leicestershire Police, have "anti-social" tendencies.

Visited with @SpiderMonkey, Brewtal and a crazy lady named Jane!

winter-gardens-great-yarmouth-24.jpg

I'm sure they are so proud to have this mess in such a prominent position on their seafront

winter-gardens-great-yarmouth-25.jpg
Over the hoarding is even worse

winter-gardens-great-yarmouth-1.jpg
Inside is a bit better, if you're a fan of lightweight wooden chairs that only the elderly find comfortable.

winter-gardens-great-yarmouth-2.jpg

winter-gardens-great-yarmouth-5.jpg
Dick!

winter-gardens-great-yarmouth-6.jpg
I bet the old dears loved this tropical island of seats. "Ohh look Dorris, let's sit under the palm trees. I've never been abroad"

winter-gardens-great-yarmouth-7.jpg

winter-gardens-great-yarmouth-8.jpg
It felt just like a real jungle

winter-gardens-great-yarmouth-9.jpg

winter-gardens-great-yarmouth-17.jpg

winter-gardens-great-yarmouth-13.jpg

winter-gardens-great-yarmouth-10.jpg

winter-gardens-great-yarmouth-19.jpg
Surely not comfortable? They don't look old enough.

winter-gardens-great-yarmouth-12.jpg

winter-gardens-great-yarmouth-16.jpg

winter-gardens-great-yarmouth-21.jpg
Beep Dop Bappabop (that's robot speak for "Hey there, let me cup your balls")

winter-gardens-great-yarmouth-22.jpg

winter-gardens-great-yarmouth-23.jpg
Of course there's a bistro!

winter-gardens-great-yarmouth-14.jpg

Right, fuck this shit.... Fun time!

IMG_20180923_084955.jpg

IMG_20180923_095906.jpg

IMG_20180923_112441.jpg

IMG_20180923_103223.jpg
Not bad for 20p!

On that note it was time to find somewhere worth visiting... But even the KFC had lightweight wooden bloody chairs that only the elderly find comfortable.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

The architecture is fantastic!

Mmh, I actually like black hair - but you two definitely look better without the mop ... ;) 

As a frequent visitor to Great Yarmouth as a child, this is somewhere I remember quite a lot. It always dominated the sea front. As ugly as it is, it really does have some really beautiful iron work inside. If I recall I went ice skating here as a child (I could be wrong but pretty sure) during one of the winter stays visiting my grandparents. Nice to see though :thumb

:comp: 

On 9/28/2018 at 10:29 PM, AndyK! said:

IMG_20180923_103223.jpg
Not bad for 20p!

Hmm, the prizes to be won are seemingly becoming more and more shabby and unsightly. Obviously inferior quality - So no wonder nobody wanted to fish them out ... :4_joy: :mrgreen:

Ok, no ... in reality, of course, you would be the main prize ... ;) :9_innocent:

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Urban Relics
      This was a really fun explore, even though it was quite challenging... It was challenging on a photography level, because the highest part of the tower was pitch black. Every photo we made up there had to be made with additional light. Luckily, to this end I always carry a small, but strong construction lamp in my back pack. It was also challenging, because we were there in the middle of a heat wave, 170 feet above ground level, separated from the outside by nothing more then some thin metal sheet, which had been basking in the sun all day. It was like photographing in a sauna, only with fewer nekkid people... 🙂 On the other hand it was really a great explore, because apparently vandals and idiots with cans of spray paint don't venture so high up in the dark. So everything we found there was still very intact.

A bit of background:
      Due to the increasing demand for cokes in the steel industry and the resulting rise in prices, people started looking for a more cost-efficient technique. This was found by injecting pulverized coal as a replacement for the heavy oil used until then in the melting process. Pulverized coal is mixed in the primary air supply and blown into the blast furnace. The most noteworthy aspect of this method is that it is possible to use cheaper coal in the system and to replace expensive cokes, thus significantly reducing costs. The process was developed in the 19th century, but was only industrially implemented in the 1970s. In this blast furnace, the method was only introduced in the mid-1990s. In the factory in these photos, pulverized coal was produced until the closure of the nearby blast furnace in 2008.

• By JRHurbex
      I have seen many reports of this place in various places but here is my recent visit. It is looking pretty empty and a fire has caused damage to the floor so certain areas I avoided walking on. Photos are taken with my phone as i didn't take my camera.

1. The History
      Hermitage Mill is built close to the waters of the River Maun which runs alongside the it. Built as a cotton mill in standstone and three storeys high (with basement), it was at first part of the Unwin family's many business ventures. The Unwin family were a dominant force in the cotton and hosiery industry in nearby Sutton-in-Ashfield. In 1782 Samuel Unwin Jnr. and London banker, James Heygate, leased the hermitage site from the 4th Duke of Portland to build their mill. It was the first mill to be built on the Maun after the 'Arkwright revolution'. The original mill building is still standing, though in a state of disrepair with no currently active use. In the 1870s a large brick extension was built to enable the mill to change from cotton-spinning to the manufacture of lace and hosiery and to accommodate the change from water power to steam power. Other additions included an engine house, by 1878, and boiler room.
      The building was sold to Clumber Building Supplies in the 1950s, who then sold some years later to Buildbase, as a builder's merchant. It ceased trading in December 2008, and since then the mill has been left derelict and fenced off. In 2009, Mansfield District Council initially wanted to turn the building into a heritage centre. The council failed to secure funding from the Heritage Lottery Fund and the mill was put on the market before being acquired by Germane Properties Ltd in 2014
      Since then it has suffered spates of vandalism attacks which have damaged some of its significant architectural features. Plans are afoot to re-use the site and old mill building and in 2017 an application was put forward in July to retain the structure and 18th century style of the site and convert it into a 50-bed care home and 32 assisted living apartments. Works will include repair and replacement of windows, alterations to brickwork, stone work and render - and minor alterations to the lower ground layout. HEB Chartered Surveyors estimated the cost of refurbishing the mill at just over £4.1m. The mill was previously Grade II Listed back in March, 1994.

Pictures

Just a few of the best photos. Also my first report so anything missing or can be improved let me know.
    • By KPUrban_
      Shoreham Cement Works.

Image from the CementKilns website

The works them selves are dug within the chalk pits which the raw materials for the cement was mined from with the production of cement beginning in 1883. The works are in the ideal spot for producing cement as they had river access and later railway access, allowing for the production of over 140 tonnes of cement. 
      In the early 1900's the works had expanded and in the 1940's, they were the first to receive the new Vicker's Rotary Cement Kilns which still stand. As well as the kilns chalk washing mills,clicker stores and Storage Silos were also installed after the second world war.

From then up until the 1990's the plant was throwing out over 500tonnes of cement on average. Along this time a number of improvements had been made to effect production. Unfortunately, in 1991, the works shut due to the technical limitations of the plant which made it inferior to the new facilities. The works also contributed health hazards due to the dust and pollution.

Today, the works stand dormant. The land around is used for vehicle storage and repair, as we also found out on the explore. The site is listed and has plans to be come some sort of "Eco-Village" although the plans are not approved as part of the South Downs project.

Sources
      From many websites, re-written in my own spelling errors and grammatical abominations.

The Photos, mostly consisting of Kilns.

• By Urban Relics
      A friend asked me recently what my favorite location was so far. It would surely have to be one of the industrial sites I’ve visited and this one, an abandoned power plant, that was part of a large steel mill, was certainly among the top favorites!

Even though the steel mill it was attached to closed in the beginning of 2012, this power plant had become obsolete years earlier, when it was replaced by a newer and more modern power plant. Some of the equipment was recuperated, but for the main part the building and its content were left to gather a thick layer of rust and dust. There are plans to turn the blast furnace on the site into some sort of a museum, a bit like Landschaftspark in Germany, so one can only hope that this beautiful vintage power plant will be salvaged and turned into a museum too… Me, i prefer it the way it was when I visited it: abandoned, decayed and dirty!

Urban locations often get the most peculiar names. Why this one was named “Wet Dogs Plant” is beyond me. I'm guessing it has something to do with the security guards and their dogs, still very present and active on the premises...