Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Tskaltubo was a popular spa resort, famous for its healing mineral waters and radon bath treatments. The first sanatoriums with in-patient facilities were built in 1925 and in 1931 Tskaltubo was designated as a spa resort by the Soviet government. Under the communist regime, a spa break was a prescribed, and mostly compulsory, annual respite, as the “right to rest” was inscribed in the Russian constitution. A visit to the doctors could result in being dispatched to somewhere like Lithuania or Georgia where spa towns were renowned for the healing properties of their mineral waters. It was one of Stalin’s favourite vacation spots.


During WWII, the hotels were used as hospitals but after the war, their popularity increased and by the 1980s Tskaltubo was one of the most sought-after tourist destinations in the Soviet Union. Georgia’s independence in 1991 and the fall of the Soviet Union in late December 1991, signalled the collapse of Tskaltubo’s spa industry. Without guests, most of the hotels and resorts were forced to close their doors. Today many of them are home to refugees who fled the conflict in Abkhazia in 92/93 and needed to be rehoused. This one however has been fenced off and remains empty behind a fence with 24 hour security patrols. Apparently it was bought by a local millionaire who has plans to turn it into a luxury hotel although those plans appear to have stalled.


I was a bit nervous about this one as we'd seen security the night before and they looked like regular police. The signs on the fence suggested they were 'security police' and their website claims they operate under the control of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Georgia. We very nearly had a run in with one of them patrolling but managed to make a quick getaway thankfully. I really enjoyed it in here. We'd not seen any internal pictures so it was a proper treat to discover what was inside. The theatre was absolutely stunning. Visited with Elliot5200 on what was a great trip to a fascinating country!
























































Thanks for looking.

  • Like 9

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, what a fantastic architecture. I can't remember ever seeing photos of abandoned places in Georgia. Really a brilliant set!

  • Like 1

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow what a fantastic find! Love the theatre, you weren't wrong when you said you'd found lots of epic stuff.

  • Like 1

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Jesus thats impressive ? . I know it's probably been said a million times before but it a damn shame buildings like this fall into disrepair. Pics are spot on too mate :thumb 



  • Like 1

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Andy said:

Wow, what a fantastic architecture. I can't remember ever seeing photos of abandoned places in Georgia. Really a brilliant set!


Thanks mate. I think you would love it over there. So many abandoned places!

  • Like 1

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thats cool, looks like a really nice place! That ceiling is really impressive and i really like the windows :) The curve to it is nice, exterior has done well considering :thumb 




Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Similar Content

    • By KPUrban_
      Shoreham Cement Works.

      Image from the CementKilns website

      The works them selves are dug within the chalk pits which the raw materials for the cement was mined from with the production of cement beginning in 1883. The works are in the ideal spot for producing cement as they had river access and later railway access, allowing for the production of over 140 tonnes of cement. 
      In the early 1900's the works had expanded and in the 1940's, they were the first to receive the new Vicker's Rotary Cement Kilns which still stand. As well as the kilns chalk washing mills,clicker stores and Storage Silos were also installed after the second world war.

      From then up until the 1990's the plant was throwing out over 500tonnes of cement on average. Along this time a number of improvements had been made to effect production. Unfortunately, in 1991, the works shut due to the technical limitations of the plant which made it inferior to the new facilities. The works also contributed health hazards due to the dust and pollution.

      Today, the works stand dormant. The land around is used for vehicle storage and repair, as we also found out on the explore. The site is listed and has plans to be come some sort of "Eco-Village" although the plans are not approved as part of the South Downs project.

      From many websites, re-written in my own spelling errors and grammatical abominations.
      The Photos, mostly consisting of Kilns.

    • By Urban Relics
      A friend asked me recently what my favorite location was so far. It would surely have to be one of the industrial sites I’ve visited and this one, an abandoned power plant, that was part of a large steel mill, was certainly among the top favorites!
      Even though the steel mill it was attached to closed in the beginning of 2012, this power plant had become obsolete years earlier, when it was replaced by a newer and more modern power plant. Some of the equipment was recuperated, but for the main part the building and its content were left to gather a thick layer of rust and dust. There are plans to turn the blast furnace on the site into some sort of a museum, a bit like Landschaftspark in Germany, so one can only hope that this beautiful vintage power plant will be salvaged and turned into a museum too… Me, i prefer it the way it was when I visited it: abandoned, decayed and dirty!
      Urban locations often get the most peculiar names. Why this one was named “Wet Dogs Plant” is beyond me. I'm guessing it has something to do with the security guards and their dogs, still very present and active on the premises... 










    • By Sectionate
      When you hit a dry spell exploring, or feel the need to just get out and do something, you can always rely on Dover providing for a good day. This is probably my 5th trip down to dover over the years and it has always provided something fun to do!
      I can remember being told about Hougham years ago, but every explorer at the time being convinced it was buried for good. Some explorers a few years ago proved us wrong! Top day out and thanks for the heads up [USER=28543]@obscurity[/USER] and visited with a non-member. The trip was a chance to trial the fisheye I had just purchased!
      Hougham Battery is one of a number of coastal batteries established during WW2 along the Kent Coast. It was built in 1941 and manned by men of 520 Coastal Regiment Royal Artillery although by 1942 most of the younger men had been transferred to field regiments and most of those left manning the guns were elderly, including many veterans of the previous war. The battery was located on the north side of the old Folkstone - Dover Road and it was equipped with three 8" Mk. VIII naval guns. Like other coastal batteries, the Hougham battery included the for a deep shelter for personnel in the event of bombardment, these tunnels also accommodated a dressing station that could be converted to a hospital if necessary.
      Historical photographs 1 & Historical Photographs 2
      One of the entrance tunnels:

      One of the collapsed ones!

      Fan thingy

      Main tunnel

      Me (I have never been able to nail these type of shots)...

    • By KPUrban_
      Replacing a former site to the west this cement works started to mine and produce cement products between 1918 and 1927. 
      The works used a Light Railway system to transport materials from the quarry to the wash mill and main works. Instead of using vehicles.
      Operating up to 2008 the works were then considered inefficient and subsequently mothballed.
      Decommissioning took place in 2012 and major parts of the vicker's rotary kiln were scrapped leaving only half standing.
      The works were fully demolished in late 2018/early 2019.

      In December 2018 we had the chance to watch the chimney demolition close up, and that was when security had a go at us...
      Anyway, that'll be all.
    • By Paradox
      The Sieging of the Forts - Part One - Haile Sand Fort - September 2018
      I'd like to say that I'm never quite sure how I end up on such crazy escapades, but the truth is I'm married to Bigjobs, so crazy escapades suddenly being sprung on me shouldn't come as any surprise.
      This little adventure was exactly one of those escapades - well technically two as this would involve two weekends doing dickhead things in the Humber Estuary.  For those of you who don't know, in the Humber Estuary, there are two rather awesome looking Forts, Haile Sand Fort, and Bull Sand Fort. 
      History (mainly from CastlesFortsBattles)
      The outbreak of World War I in 1914 led to the threat of German naval activity in the north sea - both from U-boats and the Grand Fleet - prompting a series of defences along the East Coast. The Humber estuary was assigned as a safe muster area for convoys and accordingly a number of defences were built to control the entrance. Two batteries were installed on either side of Spurn Point and two forts were built in the estuary itself; Haile Sand Fort, in the immediate vicinity of the Lincolnshire coast, and Bull Sand Fort. Work started on these in May 1915.
      Haile Sand Fort
      Haile Sand Fort was built on a hexagonal concrete foundation on a sandbank some 500 metres off the Lincolnshire coast and was operational by late 1917. A four storey structure, it was a circular concrete fort covered with light steel armour. Additional steel supports internal to the fort hardened the structure further. A two-storey central battery observation tower topped the structure and it was originally armed with two 4-inch Quick Firing Guns.
      Like Bull Sand, the fort was garrisoned by East Riding Heavy Artillery Regiment (442 Coast) from 1939 onwards at which time the fort was armed with two 12-pounder guns. These were downgraded to two 6-pounders in 1941.
      Bull Sand Fort
      Bull Sand Fort was the larger of the two fortifications designed to dominate the primary channel into the Humber estuary. The fort was constructed on top of a submerged sandbank by driving two concentric steel rings into the ground and depositing thousands of tons of chalk and rubble to form a firm foundation. The fort itself was a four-level, steel framed, circular structure reinforced by concrete and its seaward side was fitted out with 12-inches of armour designed to withstand gunfire from heavy naval units. It was armed with four 6-inch MkVII guns and had four searchlights. It had sufficient accommodation for a garrison of 200 men with fresh water pumped into storage tanks from a natural stream below the seabed. The complexity of the fort's construction meant that it wasn't actually completed until December 1919 - over a year after the First World War had ended.
      Bull Sand Fort was mothballed during the inter-war years but in 1939 was manned by the East Riding Heavy Artillery Regiment (442 Coast). By this period the threat for fast motor attack boats had increased and so the fort's armament was modified to include two 6-pounder Quick Firing Guns.
      A steel mesh was stretched between the forts across the mouth of the estuary to prevent enemy submarines from getting to the large ports Hull and Grimsby.
      A review of coastal defence led to the army decommissioning both forts in 1956. Today both are abandoned, aside from hosting automated navigational markers, although are in sound condition. Although whilst still abandoned Haile Fort was recently purchased £117000 by an unknown buyer.
      The Sieging of the Forts
      So as with all things crazy and idiotic, it started as a seed of an idea, that seed was shared with a few people and before we knew it plans were afoot. For some this involved having to learn how to kayak and undertake a scoping mission to see if this was even viable. Checking of tide times, marine navigation sites, checking shipping channels etc and the purchasing of appropriate safety equipment was done well in advance.
      The main event!
      So as ever myself and Bigjobs were late to the party and we'd called ahead to let our fellow pirates know to start the shenanigans without us. For once our lateness though was to the benefit of one of our piratey crew, as they had rather inconveniently forgotten to pack food, so stopping off we plundered the local shop for goodies and supplies.
       Arriving at our set of point, we could just see four intrepid explorers paddling towards Haile Sand. Grabbing our gear from the car we swiftly filled the kayaks with essentials, beer, food, and sleeping stuff and headed out after the others.
      I have to say I absolutely hated the paddle out, every stroke was a fight and I was constantly battling to stay on course. However after a relatively short paddle, several temper tantrums, lots of swearing and cussing at my kayak, my paddle, the sea and well pretty much everything! we arrived at the side of the fort. Disembarking wasn't exactly a barrel of laughs as it involved trying to keep hold of your kayak whilst getting on to some steps! But disembarking done, we hauled our kit up on to the fort and joined the others.
      Setting up camp we then spent a little time exploring our new found home for the night and it was pretty cool. I did spend most of the time aboard either sleeping or throwing up though after the sea decided to get its revenge for me cursing it and a mouthful of filthy vileness was accidentally swallowed on the way out (mental note - when in kayaks, spit don't swallow!).
      After getting a decent nights kip and feeling much better in the morning I went to grab a few shots before we left. Then as the tide began to rise we packed up and set about working out how the hell we were going to get off! I will say that sitting in a fully loaded kayak and being carefully lowered down the stairs was not a great idea nor for the faint hearted! As the kayak nose hit the water, much to my absolute horror, the whole kayak started to flip over and I had no way of righting it, poor Jobs had to wrestle the against the pulling water, and weight of my fully loaded kayak, get me back upright before I finally made it safely onto the water. 
      A few more sketchy exits and finally everyone was safely in the water and we didn't die. The paddle back, by comparison to the journey over, was an absolute delight. The tide just directed me to shore and I really enjoyed the paddle back. 
      Anyway thats it  for part one - here's a few potato photos as I didn't take my camera with me.






















      Part two coming soon......