Andy

Italy Castello G. (visited 07/2018)

I already have had this castle on my map for a few years and I also wanted to visit it since then. But finally I only came to its area this summer.

Located on the hill above the castle is a chapel and on the way there, along the wall around the castle, were really a lot of tourists. But luckily we found a way over the wall in a blind spot.

The castle was built in 1860 as a summer residence on a small island. It remained in the hands of the same family until 1975 when it was sold on. Developers eventually planned to convert it into a 5 star beauty farm but they went bust in 2010 half way through the renovation. Work stopped and the castle has been up for sale ever since. Unfortunately the castle is mostly stripped, but it still has some great rooms & ceilings.

bild01.jpg

bild02.jpg

bild03.jpg

bild04.jpg

bild05.jpg

bild06.jpg

bild07.jpg

bild08.jpg

bild09.jpg

bild10.jpg

bild11.jpg

bild12.jpg

bild13.jpg

bild14.jpg

bild15.jpg

bild16.jpg

bild17.jpg

bild18.jpg

bild19.jpg

• Like 6

5 hours ago, jones-y-gog said:

Picture number 1 is fascinating, I can't quite work out what I'm looking at?!

It's the great vault, formerly the church of the castle. In the background is a multi-storey scaffold with backlight. 

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By The Urban Tourist
      Some of you may have already seen this one. This is a nice paper mill closed down almost a decade ago. There are many photos of this place when it was still active, and some of them were taken when the factory had been occupied by workers right after the closure...
      It's a rather good place still today, despite the amount of copper thieves who came here. There are still some interesting things such as the power station (probably the best part), the semi-active substation, some laboratories and archives... We also found a small container where a radioactive substance called thorium nitrate used to be stored.

You can look at all my photos here: https://flic.kr/s/aHskQESLot

• By The_Raw
      The Italians don't mess around when it comes to architecture and this old sanatorium is no exception. Built in 1924 in an art deco style, it began life as a tuberculosis hospital before being converted into a generic hospital in the 1950s. In 2015 it closed down to make way for a new hospital. Most of it has been completely emptied now but the admin building and chapel are stunning regardless. The vast network of tunnels are pretty epic as well with workshops, locker rooms and some odd looking stretchers amongst other things down there. They connect every single building in the complex so you can access certain buildings that are sealed from outside. It's a big old place with a lot to see. I've been twice and still not seen it all.

Wards

Tunnels

Admin Block

The Chapel

Thanks for looking

• By obscureserenity
      Red Cross Hospital

Before it's closure at some point during the 1980's, it served as a children's hospital. It was thought to have been founded around the turn of the 20th century. The hospital was owned and managed by the charity 'Red Cross Italy' which becomes apparent from the rather large red cross on the ceiling of the chapel. The building itself resides near the edge of the mountain, roughly about 1100 metres above sea level,  a common practice for medical facilities Italy, as the air was fresher up in the mountains. It was it was believed that this held medicinal properties and was more therapeutic which was beneficial for the treatment of the patients.

Visited with @aWorldinRuins and @Ninja Kitten on a recent trip to Italy. This was the first stop on the tour and a revisit for myself. I was glad to go back, it's a very beautiful and photogenic location, in my opinion. I loved seeing all the beds, the chapel and the little classrooms again. As always, hope you enjoy my report!

If you've got this far, thanks for reading 
    • By Andy
      The railway depot was built next to the passenger station in the middle of the 19th century. It included workshops for the repair of trains, such as a carpentry and a locksmithing / metalworking. The first building was demolished at the end of the 19th century and has been rebuilt new & larger afterwards. In 1897 it had 12 locomotive stalls in the train shed, there were two turntables and three water cranes in the entire station area.
      On average, the new railway depot was initially responsible for 50 steam locomotives, in 1914, altogether it had 696 coworkers. Towards the end of the Second World War in 1944, 114 locomotives were based here, but only 18 trains were in operable condition after the war.
      The maintenance of the railcars remained here until January 1989, then the railway depot was shut down. Currently, there are considerations to demolish it.

For the first time I visited the place in 2006, then twice in the following years. However, I never could enter the building, because it was always locked.  But after all, on my last visit a few weeks ago the railway depot was accessible. Finally...!