Jump to content
Ferox

UK Crown Theatre, Eccles. April 2018

Recommended Posts

Had a look in here earlier in the year after an fail near by. A grand example of dereliction on the outside and a crumbing mess on the inside. Nice little wander as it turned out. There is enough features and bits still knocking about to make it interesting and I enjoyed having a look around and getting some snaps. Visited with non member Paul.
History
The Crown opened in 1899 as the Lyceum Theatre. The intention was to provide a luxury theatre for Shakespeare productions and drama as well as revue. It is a landmark building in the town of Eccles in a vaguely Elizabethan Style with pilasters and mullioned windows. The facade is constructed of moulded red brick of five storeys with terracotta dressings to three high arched windows at first floor. It is richly decorated, and has an asymmetrically placed short corner tower. This once had a pyramidal roof and the parapet was topped with square pinnacles. The cast iron copy still survives, now encased. The auditorium was designed with three balconies, supported by four columns. The ornamentation of the proscenium comprised an allegorical representation of Shakespeare's 'Seven Ages of Man'. The act drop was a facsimile of Beverley's noted work for the opening of the Theatre Royal (Manchester) in 1845 - a Grecian subject painted by Mr Keith. Becoming a cinema in 1932, it was later adapted for Cinemascope, ending stage use. Converted for bingo in 1963, by the late 1980s it was reported to be falling into disrepair internally. The exterior is largely intact, apart from the stage house which has been partly demolished. Planning permission was given in 2005 - and again in 2008 - for partial demolition (retaining the facade) and development of apartments behind. Since then the building has become more dilapidated and a new planning application for a residential and retail development submitted in 2016 proposes complete demolition of the theatre.

 

27254297227_ae70885802_c.jpg

 

42125270521_1884d5c923_c.jpg

 

42079124372_50a8afe1f0_c.jpg

 

42079039032_03beec4e30_c.jpg

 

27254600197_6d0d1bfc7f_c.jpg

 

28252502008_efae5f04ca_c.jpg

 

28252603618_ef2dfbac36_z.jpg.42125171091_f3fcfe8e82_z.jpg

 

41224132365_8eba3439b4_c.jpg

 

41223967035_0166030e05_c.jpg

 

41404618724_626e141243_c.jpg

 

41404594744_2aa875ba60_c.jpg

 

42124774351_8f2154db0d_c.jpg

 

Thanks For Looking

 

More pics on my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/albums/72157693704356862/with/42124774351/

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The "Save the Crown Theatre" campaign seems a bit far fetched! Great set of pics though, some nice details there.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thought this place was looking pretty worse for wear but I didn't realise how bad it was! Sad too see all that rubbish dumped there. Great set of photos none the less, thank you for sharing :) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/22/2018 at 10:53 PM, AndyK! said:

The "Save the Crown Theatre" campaign seems a bit far fetched!

Lol, Thought the same myself bud 😃

A right state now, still a few bits to have a look at though.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The place has definitely seen better days. But still impressive with the amount of decay.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Similar Content

    • By Stevepg
      There were four different types of munitions factory:
       
      Engineering factories producing the metal casings for bombs and shells or, in some instances, producing parts, rifles, guns and tanks.
       
      Small-arms factories producing the bullet casings. (These factories were often existing engineering factories turned over to war production.)
       
      Explosive factories manufacturing various explosive agents.
       
      Filling factories to fill the bomb and shell casings with the explosives.
       
      This site produced Cordite and was chosen for its distance from German bomber bases in Europe, while having good rail networks and a rural location that provided a good supply of labour. This ROF  employed circa 13000 during WW2 mainly women. 
       
      The Ministry of Works built a large water abstraction and treatment plant , just to supply the plant.
       
      To connect the site to the national rail network, a large marshalling yard of 10 separate roads was constructed, and these connected to the works' internal network of rail lines. A passenger platform was built for military usage. All the cordite produced at the plant was taken by these sidings to Crewe.
       
      The site was well defended, both on the ground and from the air; several Type 22 Pillboxes and Type 24 Pillboxes and the entire site was under a mile away from RAF base, which was home to at least one fighter squadron, for defending the region's industrial assets from bomber attack.


































    • By Landie_Man
      Visited back in November with Mookster after seeing the Typhoo Factory.  Another one ticked off the list which has been kicking about for years.  I really enjoyed this one; though quite bare and largely sealed, it had a lot of nice things to see down there.  The air was pretty bad though in places!
       
      History - Borrowed!
      The ‘Shadow Factory Tunnels’ are what remain of Lord Austin’s secret plans that were created to increase the force of the British military against the German military aggression in the arms race that led up to the start of the Second World War. 
       
      Munitions workers produced Merlin engines to power Spitfires and Hawker Hurricanes which were used to regain control of the British skies during the 1940 Battle of Britain.
      The Shadow Scheme involved two stages; the building of nine new factories and the extension of  existing factories.
       
      This extension included here; the Longbridge plant. Australian-born industrialist and Conservative MP, Lord Austin, whom founded Austin Motors; had already contributed to the war effort during the First World War, turning his factories to munitions and engine production.
       
      The tunnels which ran beneath Austin Rovers Longbridge plant are mostly all that is left of the plant; a large housing development increases in size upon the former footprint.  These tunnels ensured that production of the engines and munitions could continue underground in relative safety. 
       
      After WWII; the factory returned to producing automobiles and the tunnels were soon abandoned. By the late 60s, the  plant was the second largest car plant in the world. 
       
      After the collapse of MG Rover, the site saw its redevelopment.  Famously; a mini was kept down here after workers damaged it in the 70s and it was hidden from bosses.  The mini is now in a museum.  
      This is a very small portion of the tunnels.  Lots is bricked up
      #1

       
      #2

       
      #3

       
      #4

       
      #5

       
      #6

       
      #7

       
      #8

       
      #9

       
      #10

       
      #11

       
      #12

       
      #13

       
      #14

       
      #15

       
      #16

       
      #17

    • By The_Raw
      The history of the Albanian Navy dates back to 1925, following the creation of the Albanian Republic. Albanian naval forces operate out of two main bases; Bishti-i-Palles in Durrës, and Pasha Liman in Vlorë, with four reserve bases respectively in Shëngjin, Porto Palermo, Saranda and a submarine base on Sazan island. The vessels of the Albanian naval force are mostly patrol craft and support craft as well as four whisky class submarines (Soviet Union built in the early Cold War period) which have been taken out of service at Pasha Liman. In Shëngjin a Soviet built minesweeper M-111 and an AFD-115 gunship remain abandoned at the entrance to a bunker. The Albanian navy still operates out of Shëngjin in a low capacity so it's still an active military zone but you are allowed to drive through it to reach a beach resort on the other side. Handy for us! Visited with adders, extreme_ironing, otter and reenie. Here's what we found....
       

      AFD Mujo Ulqinaku M-111 - A mine warfare ship designed for the location of and destruction of naval mines which combines the role of a minesweeper and minehunter in one hull. Minesweepers are equipped with mechanical or electrical devices, known as "sweeps", for disabling mines, so waterways are maintained clear for safe shipping. This one appears to have been disused since 1996 (the date of a calendar on board), just prior to the Albanian civil war, when many vessels of the Albanian navy were seriously damaged.


      Behind it sits this half-submerged AFD P115 - Albanian Navy gunship (Chinese type 62 "Shanghai-II") which has had its 57mm gun mount removed


       

      They sit in front of the entrance to a navigable bunker which was inaccessible. Another entrance parallel was also sealed although we reached the blast door for that one


      The AFD Mujo Ulqinaku M111 was named after Mujo Ulqinaku, an Albanian sergeant of the Royal Albanian Navy, known for his resistance to the Italian forces during the Italian Invasion of Albania in 1939. Armed with only a machine gun, he was placed at the centre of the defense line and fought uninterruptedly until he was eventually killed by an artillery shell from an Italian warship in the last hour of the battle. He was given the People's Hero of Albania award posthumously.
       

      On board the AFD - M111


      An old gun at the front






      You can see an active patrol boat moored up on the left of the shot
       
               
      Inside the AFD - M111
       



      Communications cabin
       

      A small engine room
       
               
      Hatches and squat toilets
       

      Kitchen




      All the cabins were locked except for this one




      Some old military posters
       

       

      Back on land, this AFD S104 - Huchuan class 'motor torpedo boat' is waiting to be scrapped. Powered by Soviet-era engines, these hydrofoil-equipped boats are capable of 50 knots (93 km/h; 58 mph) and carry two torpedo tubes for torpedoes, with some known to be armed with naval mines.
       

      A few dilapidated buildings remain nearby
       

      This building to the left was manned but we were just out of view so we took a quick peek at these old military vehicles


      Some rusty torpedoes lay on the ground alongside one of them


      A couple of old trucks overgrown by vegetation above the bunker. We were aware of someone from the base heading in our direction at this point so we hopped in the car and made tracks
       

      We made it to the beach resort on the other side of the military zone where unfortunately the pigs were waiting for us. Thankfully they just grunted a bit and we were on our way 😮
       

       Just in time to catch the sunset!
       
      Thanks for looking
       
       
    • By Landie_Man
      In classic Harry style; this forms part of another explore backlog!  I visited here in November 2018 with Mookster.  It formed part of a little Midland Roadtrip we did that day.  
      We all know what to expect with this place; its pretty pillaged now, access was a doddle and it was full of other explorers; something which seems to be a much more frequent occurrence these days!  
      We met some really nice people here and had a relaxed half hour or so before moving to the next site.
       
      The Typhoo Tea Factory, founded by John Summer in 1903 and was known a local landmark in Birmingham. 
       
      Tea production began here in the 30's; and survived bombing by the Luftwaffe in WW2. in 1968; Typhoo merged with Schweppes and with Cadbury the following year, forming Cadbury-Schweppes. 
      The factory eventually closed in 1978 as a tea making facility; but remained open as a clothes warehouse until around 2008.
       
      The grounds, which are currently being used as a 148-space pay and display car park (very handy for exploring!), have been granted planning permission as part of a £14 million project to  turn the site into a brand new university campus for the Birmingham City University.
      #1

       
      #2

       
      #3

       
      #4

       
      #5

       
      #6

       
      #7

       
      #8

       
      #9

       
      #10

       
      #11

       
      Thanks for Looking, more at:
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/landie_man/albums/72157704773968425
×