Urbexy

Is there an unnecessary rift within the urbex community?

New member here, but far from new to urbex. I have always had an interest in exploring and adventuring within abandoned locations.

When I explore I take images and video and I upload to my YouTube channel. I notice that there appears to be a fairly sizable rift between Stills photographers and videographers (mainly YouTubers).

As I said before I am a YouTuber but I don't beg for likes and subscriptions. I  research locations, explore it and document it. None of this "smash the like button" or "nearly died" fakery that a lot of video people do simply to generate exposure. I think genuine urban explorers whether they are stills people or video people actually have more in common than they think and Perhaps we should be more worried about outright fakery that occurs on both sides of the spectrum. Within the YouTube urbex community, there is a genuine distaste for people who are creating fake content. The term that is widely used is "urbex theatre". It's a work of fiction, dressed up to be an explore.

The same occurs within the photography sector where people are manipulating images to the extent they do not even resemble the original location. There are also situations where people rearrange locations to set up their shots (photo or video) and this really just takes away from the whole abandoned theme.

Genuine explorers are genuine explorers regardless of the medium you choose to record your explores on, or the platform you choose to display your work. Would love to hear your thoughts on this...

In my opinion, filming in itself isn't the problem.

But unfortunately it's a fact that many YouTuber give lurid titles to their videos (like "corpse found in Buker", "secret discovered in a hidden chamber" or similar stupid headlines).

In addition, the shots are sometimes not only shaky and out of focus / blurry; but, moreover, videos are frequently posted in dozens of groups, a lot of times combined with the paltry begging "Like / share / comment".

All this, just to get as much attention as possible.

After all, it really gets bad, when people are filming themselfes, when they shattering & destroying something in abandoned places, smashing window panes, and so on (and to make matters worse, such immature idiots think they are great...).

Of course, you're absolutely right that not all YouTuber are like that. But all this together, after all, has resulted that publications on YouTube fell into disrepute.

Also for these reasons mentioned above, we finally have closed the video area in the forum. Videos are accepted here only as an accessory now, the main part of a posting must consist of photos.

Yes, admittedly, to some "genuine" ( = trustworthy) explorers, we may do wrong with this. But, unfortunately, "unwanted" videos have become more here too, which is why we decided to take this step. And as I said: at least, there is still the possibility to include videos in photo posts.

"Black sheeps" are everywhere, you're right. Also with the photographers.

I also don't like it at all, when "alleged explorers" completely change things in rooms for their photos. Because that ultimately destroys the authenticity of the abandoned places.

Yes; I also already have put things away, like ugly blue garbage bags or annoying legacies from previous visitors (such as empty cigarette packs or things like that). But I wouldn't usually think, to move items or furnishings. I visit a place, enjoy it, take my pictures, and go again. That's it.

What's really stupid is when photographers lay tables with dishes, pour glasses, and so on... However, unfortunately, arranging and decorating of things in abandoned places has become normal for many photographers. But as I said - there will always be black sheeps, no matter where or at what...

It is saddening that all YouTubers have become tarred with the same brush, so to speak, as there are certainly one or two genuine explorers such as yourself who post their findings in video format on YouTube. However, they are few and far between, and the vast majority of the urbex videos on YouTube are just clickbait nonsense. It's nice to see the few that are good documentary style videos that explain the location properly, when they come up.

I agree, there is a lot of rubbish posted in the form of photographic reports too, however the problem is that YouTube videos are seen by a much wider audience. The average non-explorer viewer sees all these YouTube videos and thinks that is what urban exploring is. It's not what I do, and it's not what is done by almost any genuine urban explorer who is out there finding new locations, but whenever I mention to somebody that I do urban exploring they reply with oh yeah I've seen the videos on YouTube, and I cringe!

• Like 1

I don't find the way people are recording thier explores an issue at all, however I do also belive it takes more of a "knack" to film a Youtube video than it does to take photos.

You can skim across a report with naff pictures, you can't really with a video. Who wants to hear you and your makes heavy breathing? people are often more selective about what they post when its a picture. Oh, and the fact they show entry half the time.

Now a GOOD video is fine, no more than 2 or 3 minutes, highlights of an explore, and well narrated rather than shitty drum N bass.

If we saw more of those, the ban on solely video reports may not have come along. The reason we allow "hybrid" types is to enable both interests.

Essentially, if there's no thought put into the video of its quality, or awareness of its effect on the wider community, I have no time for it.

Can photos still have the same effect? to an extent yes, but its also a lot easier to moderate if it needs to be.

• Like 1

I do tend to agree with most comments posted here. I also appreciate you not tarring us all with the same brush. What I specifically like about watching a video is you can be taken on a "tour" and have a proper look around. With images, I find it hard to imagine myself at the location. When I set out to film a location I try and provide a video that provides some information. I do my research. A lot of the locations I visit are wartime ruins, so there is very often a lot of history surrounding them.

As for people trashing locations... They aren't explorers. They may try and lay under the guise of being explorers but we all know what they are.

• Like 2

On 1/29/2019 at 11:59 PM, Urbexy said:

As for people trashing locations... They aren't explorers. They may try and lay under the guise of being explorers but we all know what they are.

Yes, of course they aren't explorers, by no means! But unfortunately some of them, who watch such videos, connect the seen falsely with our hobby.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By teddybear
      A trip through an abandoned pig slaughterhouse. Here you can follow the last path of a pig.
      1 round them up
      IMG_1974-Edit by Bart Hamradio, on Flickr
      2 dead pig walking
      IMG_1990-Edit by Bart Hamradio, on Flickr
      3 shocking
      IMG_1994-Edit by Bart Hamradio, on Flickr
      4 beginning of processing
      IMG_1929-Edit by Bart Hamradio, on Flickr
      5 cleaning
      IMG_1922-Edit by Bart Hamradio, on Flickr
      6 hair trim
      IMG_1927-Edit by Bart Hamradio, on Flickr
      7 hair removing
      IMG_1973 by Bart Hamradio, on Flickr
      8 waist disposal
      IMG_1967-Edit-Edit by Bart Hamradio, on Flickr
      9 chop them up
      IMG_1915-Edit by Bart Hamradio, on Flickr
      10 piece by piece
      IMG_1920-Edit by Bart Hamradio, on Flickr
      11 meat chain
      IMG_1961-Edit by Bart Hamradio, on Flickr
      12 to the freezer
      IMG_1938-HDR-Edit by Bart Hamradio, on Flickr

• By jones-y-gog
      According to a report in August 2018 there were 18 pubs closing in the UK every week with 476 closures in the first 6 months of that year. It's a sobering (sorry) thought for someone like me who appreciates an ale or six in a nice hostelry. 

There are records showing The Bridge Inn here going back to around 1875 although how far back it dates is unclear. It closed permanently in 2013 and planning permission was given for change of use. I had the feeling that work was starting on redeveloping it when I was there. 

The Welsh name is Tafarn Y Bont - I wouldn't say there's anything that makes it distinctly Welsh - but its a good example of a traditional British pub which still has a few old features. It was nice that it seemed pretty untouched in the years since it closed.  

• By teddybear
      A explore of an old slate mine. The mining started a few hundred years ago but is abandoned for several decades. This mine is not the safest and some parts are already collapsed. All the train rails are gone but you can see where they were. Only some bats live in these parts now. The white dots on the walls are all dead spiders with a layer of calcium. Not sure why there were so much dead spiders there.
      The person with whom I  exploring with had done the research of this mine. You had to walk some distance through the woods to get to the entrance. .
      There was yet another level but we couldn't make a safe connection point for a rope so we skipped that. It was a steep incline 10 meters down.

1 all the white dots are dead spiders.
      IMG_3796 by Bart Hamradio, on Flickr
      2 left or right
      IMG_3824 by Bart Hamradio, on Flickr
      IMG_3820 by Bart Hamradio, on Flickr
      4 going down
      IMG_3813 by Bart Hamradio, on Flickr
      5  triangle corridor
      IMG_3801 by Bart Hamradio, on Flickr
      6 accidents are bound to happen....
      IMG_3810 by Bart Hamradio, on Flickr
      7 a steep incline
      IMG_3803 by Bart Hamradio, on Flickr
      8 more inclines
      IMG_3792-Edit by Bart Hamradio, on Flickr

• By teddybear
      The above ground part of an old slate mine. This one was quite deep but unfortunately totally flooded now. This one is in the centre of a small village so care needed to be taken not to bee seen.
      There is also the administrative building but that one seems to get renovated,hence the new coat of paint. Also the camera on the side was a good indication.
      The slate and the miners went down on the same structure. Not sure what the future will bring for this one. Most likely demolishing.

IMG_3749-HDR-Edit by Bart Hamradio, on Flickr
      IMG_3784-Edit by Bart Hamradio, on Flickr
      IMG_3777-Edit by Bart Hamradio, on Flickr
      IMG_3770-Edit by Bart Hamradio, on Flickr
      IMG_3759-Edit by Bart Hamradio, on Flickr
      IMG_3736-HDR-Edit by Bart Hamradio, on Flickr
      IMG_3721-Edit by Bart Hamradio, on Flickr
      IMG_3724 by Bart Hamradio, on Flickr
      9IMG_3743 by Bart Hamradio, on Flickr
      IMG_3742-Edit by Bart Hamradio, on Flickr

• By anthrax
      Hello everybody.

Today I want to share an especially untouched location with you guys. This resort has been closed since the early 2000's and has since then been sitting around in Austria. Due to its remote location, there was no vandalism beside two broken down windows. Originally, this was used as a rehabilitation center for the elderly, as far as I know. Also located on site are a medical facility for routine check-ups and dietary advice.

I'd say this was the best location I ever visited in terms of how well it was preserved. 

Full Album (Flickr): https://flic.kr/s/aHskMyQEbT
      Instagram: @ofcdnb
      Raw Exploration (YouTube) !no ads and not selling shit, if anyone is concerned with that, just sharing explorations!: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odJKQwaVas0

DSC_3688.jpg by anthrx, auf Flickr

DSC_3690.jpg by anthrx, auf Flickr

DSC_3692.jpg by anthrx, auf Flickr

DSC_3697.jpg by anthrx, auf Flickr

DSC_3710.jpg by anthrx, auf Flickr

DSC_3712.jpg by anthrx, auf Flickr

DSC_3716.jpg by anthrx, auf Flickr

DSC_3718.jpg by anthrx, auf Flickr

DSC_3732.jpg by anthrx, auf Flickr

DSC_3744.jpg by anthrx, auf Flickr

DSC_3751.jpg by anthrx, auf Flickr

DSC_3763.jpg by anthrx, auf Flickr