If a building is completely derelict - possibly even going to be demolished - is it OK to do damage in it?  Anyone like to comment?

Apart from accidental damage there is no justification in damaging anywhere you visit - regardless of what state it's in. Thats my personal opinion and I dare say most responsible explorers on this and other forums would agree. Thats what separates us from mindless idiots. 

• Like 1

Thanks for responding.  

That may well be the legal position, but if it has no future use, I don't see the harm.

I don't see any reason why something should be destroyed, no matter in what condition a building is. 
Honestly, I wonder why someone is interested or even has fun in vandalism and destruction? For what reason do you (or whoever) want to cause damage willfully and why to riot intentionally? Personally, I think that's pretty questionable.

But apart from that: For example from a photographic point of view, I also disagree with your statement "if it has no future use, I don't see the harm". 
Even "if a building is completely derelict", usually you still can find things, rooms or details wich offer suitable & nice photo opportunities. And finally, often it's simply the (natural!) decay in particular, that makes an object interesting in photography.
However, ultimately also these subjects for photos will be destroyed in most cases by vandalism and destruction.

• Like 1

I'm not saying do it and I can see that personal or other worthwhile objects would be worth preserving, but as for the usual stuff in buildings - furniture, windows, etc., I don't see any harm.  Some people find it fun - some don't.  

If a building is abandoned and run down, it's unlikely it's not going to be vandalised.  It could be argued that vandalism is just as "natural" by some definition of the word as "natural" decay is by another definition.

It seems you have your pre-conceived ideas and that we will have to agree to disagree. 

However I will make a few points -

It seems a pretty lame argument to defend willful vandalism by saying it will probably happen anyway. 

Most genuine 'urban explorers' would say that natural decay DOES NOT include vandalism. It is defined by the effects of the elements over a prolonged period of time - hence natural. One of alluring aspects of abandoned buildings is natural decay when the place has simply been left, for example the peeling paint on walls. I'm sure I can speak for most people here and say there is nothing to enjoy in seeing anything that has been willfully destroyed. To get some sort of kick from doing that is a sad reflection on the individual concerned in my opinion. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Airaux said:

It could be argued that vandalism is just as "natural" by some definition of the word as "natural" decay is by another definition.

You are very, very wrong here.

By definition decay is natural as it happens if no intervening maintenance is done to prevent it.

Vandalism is completly deliberate.

This is why as flawed as it is, NP exists.

And there is a harm in it, it accelarates hazards when genuine explorers are out there. Fancy making a fire? that'll be an explorers foot through a board.

• Like 1

I don't see what point you are trying to get across other than the fact you are cool with people vandalising derelict buildings, which is a strange thing to come out with on your first post. I can't see you making many friends on here if you think like that 

• Like 1

So much hostility for one little question.  I never said I do it.  I'm just saying there's no harm for any future would-be users.

2 hours ago, Airaux said:

So much hostility for one little question.  I never said I do it.  I'm just saying there's no harm for any future would-be users.

Honestly, I already find it just strange to ask that question, if you don't do it yourself. Personally, I wouldn't even think of asking that, because destroying things in abandoned places is simply a no-go for me. And so it certainly is for any genuine & responsible urban explorer, I think. Willful / wanton destruction (no matter if windows, furniture or whatever) is in every way only stupid and completely unnecessary vandalism; and in my view that has absolutely nothing to do with exploration and urbex.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Airaux said:

T6whOwt.jpg

• Haha 1

I've heard of people been charged with doing damage in a building which was beyond repair - I don't see what harm their doing in this kind of case.

I thought, I already had described my opinion more than understandably and comprehensively enough ... 

Whether it's because of uncontrollable violence, misguided anger, infantile joy or a misunderstood kind of "fun": In my view, vandalism is basically and without exception just unnecessary, pointless and destructive, as well as simply absolutely stupid and immature! No matter in what kind of place, no matter in what condition it is, no matter what will be destroyed. 
And therefore, for me , in any case there is entirely no reason or justification for destruction. Point and out! 

Even if you don't understand it and if you apparently see it differently,  you will hardly get any other opinion or even agreement here, I think. 
Our hobby is discovering, exploring, photographing, documenting ... - and not destroying, vandalizing, to riot and to rage!

But it seems, we obviously won't come to a common, and so I have nothing more to say. I feel like any further conversation about it would simply be a waste of my time.

4 hours ago, Airaux said:

I've heard of people been charged with doing damage in a building which was beyond repair - I don't see what harm their doing in this kind of case.

Is it your property?

No.

Question answered.

This hostile? you obviously havent seen the various facebook groups :)

This is as good a debate as you can expect considering the subject.

Only cocks trash places no matter what shape its in. And if your coming on here to find places to trash I would put you in the dark place where no one comes back from The you tube. Maybe cause there parents would fook them up if they did it at home. Vandalism is just that to vandalise something that does or does not belong to you. End off. Now go out there and break something and get nicked so we can all have a good laugh and say told ya. And p. S everyone on here is really good and been way to nice to you with such a dumb has fook first post. And don't get me wrong I'm nice but seriously this post needs some petrol and a lighter done to it just like you probably do to buildings. PEACE

Edited by coolboyslim