Landie_Man

UK Crich Quarry, Derbyshire, England - December 2018

The end was nigh for Mookster and my North Midlands Roadtrip back before Christmas.  Mookster remembered seeing this site when visiting the Crich Tramway Museum in the 1990s and had made it a goal to visit it when he discovered it had not been demolished, he previously thought it had.

We parked in the Museum and walked up the driveway to the site.  An older chap and some friends who frequent the site and had keys, had been feeding the birds and we exchanged some pleasantries; "As long as your not smashing anything, go for it"; was the general opinion; so we filled our boots.

Sadly; much is inaccessible due to flooding; and it is overall, pretty trashed, but it had some great photo ops!  I enjoyed it, and the lighting the evening was producing.

46383024244_583301181c_b.jpg 

47054825262_76e1f630eb_b.jpg

40142327453_2a8cf988eb_b.jpg

47106964311_50f52be602_b.jpg

33231762108_f24bfb06b4_b.jpg

33231742948_4f44facefb_b.jpg

32164963937_0e53094911_b.jpg

40142142513_90c46c9a00_b.jpg

46192740635_877bf96f7f_b.jpg

47106385871_3af3109638_b.jpg

47106556301_411b49e28f_b.jpg

Thanks for Looking!

More At:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/landie_man/albums/72157678698751578

• Like 1

Nice set in the evening light and also just because of the flooding.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By AndyK!
      On my way home from an overnight explore down south, it seemed a shame to waste the beautiful summer-like days we were having in mid-February, so I decided to stop off at RAF Coningsby's old weapons storage facility. It's not all that far from where I live, and I'd been meaning to take a look whenever I had a chance, so this seemed like the ideal opportunity.

History

RAF Coningsby Remote Weapons Store, as the name suggests, is a facility built for the purpose of storing and preparing weapons including missiles and bombs, situated in a separate compound close to the outer edge of the main airbase.
      The facility was built in order to reduce the quantity of explosives stored within the base, therefore reducing the number of personnel and aircraft exposed to risk. An incident occurred in 1971 when an electrostatic discharge caused a SNEB rocket that was being prepared to initiate its rocket motor.  Two armourers were killed, and this could be one of the reasons for deciding to build the store further away.

RAF Coningsby itself is operational as Quick Reaction Alert station, and is home to Eurofighter Typhoons from No. 3 Squadron, No. XI Squadron and No. 29 Squadron.

Little information is available about the history of the bomb store, but this is no surprise owing to the fact it belongs to an active RAF base. The facility has separate storage and preparation facilities and does not appear on historic maps dated 1977 or earlier. Hardened Aircraft Shelters were constructed within the airbase from 1981-1987 to accommodate Tornado Jets. The Tornados were capable of carrying a range of missiles and weaponry, so it is likely the weapons storage facility was built around the same time as the hangars to service the weaponry for those aircraft. The facility appears to have been out of use for a good number of years.

Aerial view of the weapons store as seen on Google Maps

This hand-drawn plan was found within the site

View down the road of section 1

Storage areas in section 4

The entrance to storage area 14C

Building 21F entrance

Building 12 contained this mobile communications unit

Inside the mobile comms unit

There were also some opened crates of naval gun mounts

Missile Servicing Bay and an ivy-clad building

Inside the ivy building

Missile Servicing Bay

A few of the other buildings scattered around the site...

Looking over to the command centre

Inside the command centre

Bunk beds

I'm not sure what this does, but it looked pretty cool

Huge diesel generator

Sentry post at the east gate

Eastern gateway
    • By Mikeymutt
      So last year when I went to Coltishall the tower was locked, so a quick message from pretty vacant who was visiting it later said it was wide open. So I decided to nip down and see it for myself. Its fairly stripped off its features, but it does have some nice colours and its always nice to get in a tower. The ATC tower is a concrete one, and was built after the original one was bombed. It was extended during the cold war and contained offices, visual control room, a balloon room, airfield lighting controls and bedrooms for the meterological and control officer. Since the airfield closed in 2006 the tower has laid empty since.

Quite away around the perimeter track is this tiny little building I found. its known a the B centre and worked in coordination with the A station, which would be controlled by the console in local control. the switched commands would would be sent from the console and converted to codes by the relay rack. These would then be sent by six pairs of telephone cables to the B centre. This would then allow the codes to be read and select the correct lights to be put on.

• By Landie_Man
      Day two of @Mookster and my first Northern Explore of the year; and in true Mookster style; we get up from our cosy beds and leave the sleepy world of The Premier Inn before breakfast is even a thing in these hotels; a point that hurts me to the core as the Designated Driver, but clearly pays off once the wall of fatigue is overcome.

We leave the hotel and take a drive to Bee Hive; this weekend has been a little hit and miss so far; so we have high hopes of this as it had been the Tour Bus stop off of the month; and after parking up and spending much time trying to get inside having been spotted by the sleepy street waking up numerous times; we set about a great explore.

This site is very stripped out inside; but the lighting is just divine; the paintwork, features and the things that are left behind are just lovely.
      We both REALLY enjoyed this one; despite the bareness, it had a really nice feeling about it.  
      -
      The first of the two mills on this site, was built in 1895, with the second larger mill following soon after, in 1902. 
      The complex was constructed in a rather lovely Italianate style, with staircases disguised as campaniles along with terraced roofing and balustrades and including a very picturesque lodge/office building at the front gate. 

The mill span cotton up until 1967 when that venture closed.  Ever since then; Bee Hive has had various other industrial uses, seemingly most recently it was occupied by a bed/furniture warehouse until they vacated some time ago. 

The place eventually closed down entirely in 2016 and plans to demolish this beautiful building, despite its protected status have been heavily criticized by the locals; and rightly so.  Would be a tragedy.  

[

As always Guys, thank you for taking the time to look, More At:
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/landie_man/albums/72157703821237512

• By Landie_Man
      Visited as the second site on mine and @Mooksters first Northern Road Trip of the year.  We had failed several sites that day, and the day was coming to a rather murky and rainy end; but before we plumbed the hotel in for the night; we went to this short, sweet and rather destroyed church; the lone survivor of its time, sitting on its lonesome behind a Costa Coffee Drive Through and opposite a Travelodge Hotel.  

As we did a quick shoot of the inside; we could hear afternoon shoppers stopping by for their takeout coffee and cake fix making their orders over the drive through intercom.  We even enjoyed a couple of cold drinks inside the shop after we came out of the church right next door!

The building was put to tender in March 1869 with the stone-laying ceremony taking place on 21st July. 

The church, provided 550 sittings at a cost of £4,167 and was built of stone from the local Crosland Hill quarries.  Initially the Clerk of Works was Mr Jonathan Parsons;subsequently succeeded by Mr Phillips. Consecration took place on 10th August 1880.

The church was built by a local architect and protected by local laws from demolition and has remained empty since 2004  

More At:
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/landie_man/albums/72157679116734258/with/40308289993/