AndyK!

UK RAF Coningsby Remote Weapons Store, Lincolnshire - February 2019

On my way home from an overnight explore down south, it seemed a shame to waste the beautiful summer-like days we were having in mid-February, so I decided to stop off at RAF Coningsby's old weapons storage facility. It's not all that far from where I live, and I'd been meaning to take a look whenever I had a chance, so this seemed like the ideal opportunity.

History

RAF Coningsby Remote Weapons Store, as the name suggests, is a facility built for the purpose of storing and preparing weapons including missiles and bombs, situated in a separate compound close to the outer edge of the main airbase.

The facility was built in order to reduce the quantity of explosives stored within the base, therefore reducing the number of personnel and aircraft exposed to risk. An incident occurred in 1971 when an electrostatic discharge caused a SNEB rocket that was being prepared to initiate its rocket motor.  Two armourers were killed, and this could be one of the reasons for deciding to build the store further away.

RAF Coningsby itself is operational as Quick Reaction Alert station, and is home to Eurofighter Typhoons from No. 3 Squadron, No. XI Squadron and No. 29 Squadron.

Little information is available about the history of the bomb store, but this is no surprise owing to the fact it belongs to an active RAF base. The facility has separate storage and preparation facilities and does not appear on historic maps dated 1977 or earlier. Hardened Aircraft Shelters were constructed within the airbase from 1981-1987 to accommodate Tornado Jets. The Tornados were capable of carrying a range of missiles and weaponry, so it is likely the weapons storage facility was built around the same time as the hangars to service the weaponry for those aircraft. The facility appears to have been out of use for a good number of years.

raf-coningsby-bomb-store-aerial.jpg

Aerial view of the weapons store as seen on Google Maps

raf-coningsby-bomb-store-22.jpg
This hand-drawn plan was found within the site

raf-coningsby-bomb-store-52.jpg
View down the road of section 1

raf-coningsby-bomb-store-2.jpg
Storage areas in section 4

raf-coningsby-bomb-store-1.jpg
The entrance to storage area 14C

raf-coningsby-bomb-store-8.jpg
Building 21F entrance

raf-coningsby-bomb-store-48.jpg
Building 12 contained this mobile communications unit

raf-coningsby-bomb-store-47.jpg
Inside the mobile comms unit

raf-coningsby-bomb-store-46.jpg

raf-coningsby-bomb-store-49.jpg
There were also some opened crates of naval gun mounts

raf-coningsby-bomb-store-50.jpg

raf-coningsby-bomb-store-30.jpg
Missile Servicing Bay and an ivy-clad building

raf-coningsby-bomb-store-28.jpg
Inside the ivy building

raf-coningsby-bomb-store-14.jpg
Missile Servicing Bay

raf-coningsby-bomb-store-9.jpg

raf-coningsby-bomb-store-10.jpg

A few of the other buildings scattered around the site...

raf-coningsby-bomb-store-31.jpg

raf-coningsby-bomb-store-32.jpg

raf-coningsby-bomb-store-34.jpg

raf-coningsby-bomb-store-41.jpg

raf-coningsby-bomb-store-42.jpg
Looking over to the command centre

raf-coningsby-bomb-store-37.jpg
Inside the command centre

raf-coningsby-bomb-store-39.jpg

raf-coningsby-bomb-store-35.jpg
Bunk beds

raf-coningsby-bomb-store-24.jpg
I'm not sure what this does, but it looked pretty cool

raf-coningsby-bomb-store-29.jpg

raf-coningsby-bomb-store-18.jpg
Huge diesel generator

raf-coningsby-bomb-store-57.jpg
Sentry post at the east gate

raf-coningsby-bomb-store-58.jpg
Eastern gateway
  • Like 7

You got a really nice set here Andy. I visited myself a few yrs back and really enjoyed it.lots off interesting things too see 

• Thanks 1

Very nice pics! I also liked this place very much during my visit at the end of summer last year.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Tanya Rees
      Little trip to Wales over the weekend with Booie. This was a detour on the way home yesterday. Closed suddenly about 7 years ago and now up for auction. 
      This lovely care home would have looked very grand in its prime no cheap plastic furniture here   

• By The Urban Tourist
      Some of you may have already seen this one. This is a nice paper mill closed down almost a decade ago. There are many photos of this place when it was still active, and some of them were taken when the factory had been occupied by workers right after the closure...
      It's a rather good place still today, despite the amount of copper thieves who came here. There are still some interesting things such as the power station (probably the best part), the semi-active substation, some laboratories and archives... We also found a small container where a radioactive substance called thorium nitrate used to be stored.

You can look at all my photos here: https://flic.kr/s/aHskQESLot

• By urblex
      Visited with 3 non members not really knowing much about the place other than it looked pretty cool from the outside. Damp and water damage had done a pretty good job on the place but it was still well worth visiting and the start of an amazing day. 

History
      Can't really find much on this place but before its abandonment, it was owned by a local water authority in relation to the nearby reservoir of the same name.

these animals were positioned exactly like this when i found them, honest...

• By urblex
      This was the second of two places we looked at, and was one of those 'we probably won't get into this one' places. It's always a bonus when you're pretty much convinced you wont get in then turn up & end up getting in 😀 The place was covered with mushrooms (Jews Ear apparently) and mould has taken it's hold on the place, by the time i got to the second floor started to feel a bit queasy breathing it all in, reminded me to get some masks for next time. A pretty cool place, with plenty to see and a variety of 'funky' lampshades... Started losing daylight by the time we reached the 3rd floor so the pics started to get gradually worse.

History
      Not sure exactly when it opened but it was up & running in the 1930's. In it's day it stood on it's own extensive grounds over 3 acres. The greater portion of this was devoted to sun bathing and recreational lawns. The remainder was largely a kitchen garden which provided fresh garden produce to the tables. 
      Quote from its promotional literature "The views from the bedrooms are delightful. Those on the front and on one side have an open outlook over the sea, the others overlook the golf links and the open country. Your views are in every room open, nothing shuts in any part of BRADDA PRIVATE HOTEL. 'BRADDA' has been entirely redesigned, enlarged, redecorated and refurnished, and is now one of the most beautiful hotels in the Island"
      Unsure exactly when it closed but from what i can tell it was around 2015. 
      A proposal to demolish the dilapidated hotel and erect a residential care home, along with car parking, access and highway alterations, was submitted by Spaldrick Care Ltd in September last year.
      The developer estimated construction of the home would cost £5 million and create 60 full-time jobs.
      Around thirty families objected to the plans, as well as Port Erin Commissioners and the government's planning committee.
      Concerns were raised over the scale of the development, its impact on views, privacy, traffic and parking, as well as its conformity with both the Southern Area Plan, and the all-Island Strategic Plan.
      The plans were initially overruled by the Department of Environment, Food and Agriculture. However following a successful appeal by the developer this year, and on the recommendation of the planning inspector, the plans got the green-light.

some of the lampshades

some of the lovely mold & decay the place had to offer