Sign in to follow this  
Shadow

Kent Meet Up - Spring 08

What a saga, well let me start at the beginning. I was supposed to be traveling down with DiGiTalReePeR and Thurisaz (Both from 28WL) I was told to get the bus down to London Victoria with Thurisaz and that DiG would pick us up from there and take us to the hotel that he had already booked for us, then we would head down to Dover early on Saturday morning.

We arrive at london at 9.00pm tried to ring DiG at least 20 times, no answer, we were standing round on the corner of the bus station for 2 and a half hours, we finally get a text saying that he has a problem with his car and we are told to get the train to Hemal Hempstead and he'll come and give us a lift in a mates car, we arrive at about midnight, we try ringing DiG again, no reply, we wait until 1am.

So we are stranded in the middle of nowhere with no idea what is going on so we decided to get a taxi to the nearest premier inn, we sleep the night there and get up at 7am to try and ring DiG again, still....no reply, we wait until 11am and we were on the verge of just saying f**k it lets just go home.

We get the train to London and looked at the train prices to Dover, then we made the decision that we didnt want some twat to ruin the trip and lets just go for it.

We arrived in Dover for about 2pm and met up with Solarpowered and The Gas Man / Zombie as well as the Teen Tunnel Team.

Drop Redoubt

Picture47-1.png

Picture46-1.png

Picture32-1.png

Picture33-1.png

Picture37-1.png

Picture34-1.png

Picture35.png

North Casemates

Picture40-1.png

Picture39-1.png

Picture38-1.png

The crawl between the north and south casemates was epic, we made the terrible mistake of sending the most arachnophobic person first, who promptly found a nest of the the buggers along the tunnel, and somehow managed to turn around and climb over the top of the person behind him, meanwhile we were stood back at the entrance to the tunnel and we could only hear muffled screams and shouts along the lines of

aaaaaahhhhh, theres a f**cking big one......KILL IT.......ITS STILL MOVING.......I CAN SEE ITS LEGS.........SH*T THERES MORE!!!!......etc

Theres a great video of it somewhere

Picture41-1.png

Oil Mills

We covered both upper and lower oil mills, upper was very impressive, lower was just huge. I didnt get any pictures worth showing in lower as it was more of an explore and less of a photoshoot, needless to say sliding down the dust into the two lowest was great fun. Although it was slightly scary when i hit my shoulder on the wall and a pretty large chunk of the wall fell down :o

Picture43-1.png

Picture44-1.png

Overall I think it was a great trip (we're all heading back down in the next two weeks, so if anyone is interested pm me) big thumbs up to Solarpowered for showing us oil mills etc, and huge thanks to pinkfluff and Zombie for letting us crash at their place.

Peace, out

Shadow

Edited by Shush
Broken links removed

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By btn_urbex
      HISTORY
      Tenterden Town railway station is a heritage railway station on the Kent and East Sussex Railway in Tenterden, Kent, England.

When the railway line first opened in 1900, Rolvenden Station was known as "Tenterden". Its name was changed when the line extended north three years later and a station closer to Tenterden was constructed. The new Tenterden Town station opened on 16 March 1903.The line closed for regular passenger services on 4 January 1954 and all traffic in 1961. It reopened on 3 February 1974 under the aegis of the Tenterden Railway Company which bought the line between Tenterden and Bodiam. The station now houses the KESR's Carriage and Wagon works, and the Colonel Stephens Museum is located nearby.

EXPLORE
      So we set out on our explore with a list of places We wanted to check out. After a few not amounting to much and the next couple being total fails, we parked up and regrouped! 
      The  Tenterden site had been on my radar for a while (although I couldn’t be 100% about it’s location) so after a little discussion we decided to take a chance and head out to try and find the Lost Railway and its Train Graveyard.
      We headed toward the closest point by road, parked up and set off along a short path way. The area was really quiet apart from the odd dog walker.  After literally five minutes we knew we were in the right place and could see the abandoned trains hidden amongst the trees.  Access was easy literally a small hop over the fence and down the bank, there they were! 
      Its the first time any of us had ever done an explore of this nature and it was amazing... 
      Anyway here are some of the pictures we took throughout the explore.
      Thanks for reading 😊

• By little_boy_explores
      The history 

A two-storey mill built in 1831 which resides two miles west of the town centre of Huddersfield. The Financial Reporting Council (FCR) of 1834 shows Armitage Bros already established here. The family name 'Armitage' pre-dates the 14th century, but it was Joseph Armitage (1778-1860) who significantly increased the family fortune and moved decisively into the gentry class. In 1822 he built the first woollen manufacturing mill at Milnsbridge, by the 1840's he handed over control of the business to his sons, who reconstituted it as a partnership called Armitage Bros, which survived until it became a limited company. By 1914 it was part of John Crowther's group. In the late 19th century John Crowther and his two sons moved from Marsden down the Clone Valley to Milnsbridge after purchasing two mills, where they began the successful production of woollen cloth. Crowther took his own life in 1931 and its thought that the death of his wife and the great depression were cumulative in this. Today parts of the mill are rented to a few small business, elsewhere derelict.

The explore

It's not often where in this neck of the woods... but when we are we always take a trip down Factory Lane. We've attempted this a few times... gates drawn, security breathing down our necks or locals asking us our intentions... seems if your walking round an abandoned building your the local scrap man even though your donning DSLR cameras. Anyway... been one of Crowther's we knew we were in for a treat. so.. sitting waiting.. waiting a bit more... we were in. The sheer size, the beautiful architecture, the remains of the mid century furniture... thank f*uck we drove down for a look. It looks like some of the mill buildings have been demolished at some point... but even so this place is huge!!! On entrance we were presented by a grand entrance hall which led into various areas of the mill... Of note was the sheer amount of mid- century furniture scattered around the mill... an entire floor decked with Parkay flooring... and a rather odd looking exercise bike that reminded us of a SinclairsC-5... we even came across a quad bike dumped in one of the corners of the mill. We loved it hear... its full of little gems hidden here and there we spent quite some time at the old mill as where not sure if we will be able to access this again...

Some pics

lbe 
    • By jane doe
      Another old explore ...a little gem in Kent   

• By silverainbow
      Well guys, this has been covered on more than one occasion, and I've visited this site on more than one of the numerous open days over previous years never been lucky enough to get any Pics due to the hoards of people all over the place, So when one very kind Barry Stewart offered me free reign of the place for a few hours obviously I happily and very gratefully took him up on his offer.
      So, For a bit of History ;
      The Drop Redoubt is one of the two forts on Western Heights, and is linked to the other, the Citadel, by a series of dry moats (the lines). It is, arguably, the most impressive and immediately noticeable feature on Dover’s Western Heights.
      The artillery at the Redoubt faced mostly inland; it was intended to attack an invading force attempting to capture Dover from the rear.
      The construction of the Redoubt was in two periods: the first being from 1804-1808 during the Napoleonic Wars, and the second from 1859-1864 following the recommendations of the 1859 Royal Commission.

Well, That's all folks, Thanks for taking a look

More can be found out about this fantastic Structure Here;

• By -Raz-
      After finding ourselves in a live swimming baths in Birmingham we had a short trip to West Brom to have a look at this place which from the outside doesn't look too big but once inside its huge, loads of interesting stuff!
      Visited with @hamtagger & @Fatpanda

Cheers for looking