Sign in to follow this  
Ryda

UK Undisclosed Location - Tunnels & HUGE well 3/12/2008

I cannot give the location of this site out, as amazingly, it is under my friends cellar in his house!

Lucky lad!

I popped down today to take some pictures, it has been covered on underground kent, but rather boringly, so I thought id jazz the place up a little, and it was good practise for me haha

the tunnel itself is entered by some steps from the cellar, then you have a tunnel running to your left and right, about 7 metres each side. At the end of the right side however, there is a small hole in the top of the tunnel that leads up to the garden, this has been covered with some thin plastic, because its hidden in the bushes so nobody will fall down it!

Straight ahead of you is a chalk tunnel that leads down the the well, which is approx 260ft deep. Standing on the well grille and looking up you can see that it would have met ground height, but the owners have now capped the top.

I played with long exposure A LOT, im sorry... im learning

Entrance

IMG_3709-1.jpg

IMG_3710-1.jpg

IMG_3697.jpg

IMG_3690.jpg

IMG_3687.jpg

IMG_3686.jpg

IMG_3684.jpg

IMG_3702.jpg

IMG_3703.jpg

these used to drain water down into the well

IMG_3679.jpg

IMG_3670-1.jpg

IMG_3649-1_1.jpg

IMG_3708.jpg

IMG_3659-1.jpg

IMG_3649-1_1.jpg

IMG_3653-1.jpg

IMG_3657-1.jpg

IMG_3647-1.jpg

These markins were apparently found here

IMG_3666-1.jpg

&&&& here is the beast... Can you notice a small hole a few metres down?? hmm

IMG_3660-1.jpg

Looking back up, capped off at surface level

IMG_3667-1.jpg

Back into the cellar, can anyone think why there is a clear arch in the bricks

IMG_3712-1.jpg

Its taken me fooking ages to set all this up so if i might have forgotten anything, if you want to check here my photobucket

http://s485.photobucket.com/albums/rr220/Ry_Da/secret/

haha i will speak to you on msn fluff, might be able to sort something out :) the owners are cool

and im working them on the abseiling idea shadow :)

awsome photo's!! mate

Would also love to get down there ;) ;)

hmmm and as for that arch, why not pull 1 brick out an have a look see, then brick it back up ;)

not a bad idea that bravo, i honestly would love to get everyone down there to experience the place, but due to it being in their house, and thatbeing the only access, its a bit difficult.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By silverainbow
      Another one of those Ive been meaning to do for ages, Its normally one of those that people do early on in their explore career but I didnt for some reason, the time never felt right , Visited With Ms Penfold, A little history can be found via this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dover_Western_HeightsAnd so for a few PicsThanks for taking the time to look
    • By skeleton key
      Thankful there was enough remaining to grab some shots and at the same time have a good giggle
      Splored With Lara,Trog and peaches

In the back area of the stage Lara found some costumes and the silliness began.
      Beds began to roll up and down the corridors .

Better not to ask

I nearly ran straight into secca.
      At first i thought it was another fool dressed up but as Sindbad
      Then realized he was a Sihk Secca lol

This fella was either as deaf as a post or turned a blind eye & I wasnt fussed with either.
      As was more to see and we put a bit of distance between us and the now named Turbanator.

Cheers for looking in

• By Lenston
      History 

The engineering company J.E. Billups of Cardiff who also constructed Mireystock Bridge and the masonry work on the Lydbrook viaduct commenced construction of the tunnel in 1872 using forest stone. The tunnel is 221 metres in length and took 2 years to construct. The tunnel allowed the connection of the Severn and Wye Valley railway running from Lydney with the Ross and Monmouth network at Lydbrook. The first mineral train passed through the tunnel on 16 August 1874. Passenger services commenced in September 1875 pulled by the engine Robin Hood.

The history of this section of line is not without incident - a railway ganger was killed in the tunnel by a train in 1893 and a locomotive was derailed by a fallen block of stone in the cutting at the northern entrance in 1898.
      The line officially closed to passenger trains in July 1929 but goods trains continued to use the line until the closure of Arthur & Edward Colliery at Waterloo in 1959 and Cannop Colliery in 1960. Lifting of the track was completed in 1962. The tunnel and cutting were buried with spoil in the early 1970's.

Thanks to the vision and enthusiasm of a group of local Forest railway enthusiasts assisted by Forest Enterprise the top of the northern portal of the tunnel (with its unusual elliptical shape) which has lain buried for 30 years has now been exposed. 
      As of 2018 the tunnel now still lays abandoned with no sign of the cycle track and the £50,000 funding seemingly gone to waste.

Pics

Thanks for looking
    • By jane doe
      I was passing here today on way home from work so called in to have a look ...Quite a nice little explore ☺️

• By UrbanBeginner1
      This church had been on my bucket list for a while and I finally got access, granted it happened last year. I don't know a lot of the history of the church, other than the congregation was founded by German immigrats in the 1800s. The origional church burned in the Chicago fire and a new one was constructed in 1904. In the 1910s Polish immigrants moved in and the German congregation declined in membership. It bounced back and years later in the 50s a large Puerto Rican population came in and spanish masses were offered for the first time. Membership throughout the 60s and 70s etc kept declining and in 1990 the church officially closed. The rectory, convent and school were all torn down. As for the chruch a development company owns it and want's to turn it into luxury condos and a music school.