Sign in to follow this  
Wevsky

UK 1880 Channel Tunnel Attempt December 2010

Right after report not long back myself and uncle b decided we'd put this off long enough so cold weather and long walk aside we decided to go for it,we where joined by obscurity ,maniac and ofatjameso...was cold wet and thats before we hit the tunnel,excuse quality of pictures as finding a steady unmoving part of ground to place tripod wasn't easy..Thanks to obscurity for pointing out the Nice bit of graffiti

Many proposals had been made for a Channel Tunnel dating as far back as Napoleonic times and in 1875 serious planning began on both sides of the Channel. However, early attempts on the English side were not very successful and flooding was a continual problem. In 1880 a test shaft was sunk at Abbot’s Cliff near Folkestone, followed by a second shaft at Shakespeare Cliff in 1881. The tunnel was expected to be completed by 1886, but the British Government were beginning to grow increasingly concerned that the Tunnel would render Britain extremely vulnerable in the face of an invading army from Europe (by this time recently unified Germany were perceived as posing the greatest military threat to Britain). The government remained concerned; very little work proceeded after 1882 and the project was forcibly abandoned in 1898 when bring was permanently restrained through the High Court

History taken from underground kent

For a more in-depth history you could check here…

http://www.subbrit.org.uk/sb-sites/sites/c/channel_tunnel_1880_attempt/index.shtml

or do a bit of a Google

Right some pictures of the evening.

DSC02694.jpg

DSC02697.jpg

DSC02700.jpg

DSC02702.jpg

DSC02703.jpg

DSC02706.jpg

DSC02713.jpg

DSC02714.jpg

And cheers again to obs for pointing this out as id walked past it twice...

DSC02709.jpg

..A very cold wet night but worth it for a look at something we'd heard and seen a fair bit about before

Nice one mate - did you go wading at the end? Must have been bloody cold

No got to the point where there was a dryish yet muddy section which was full of objects to clamber over and beyond that would have been the very wet part..was a very cold walk and somehow managed ro get most ofme covered in clay and mud..strange as i didnt fall over just lent against the odd wall to steady myself..more worried about dropping camera tho than getting me wet

Cheers for giving me a shout Wevsky, I'd forgotten how mucky that tunnel can be.

Just a few from me:

Image-5516.jpg

Couldn't stop this blue mist from appearing in my photos, there was that much moisture in the air my torch was reflecting back off it creating this eerie looking photo. My lens was perfectally clean.

Image-5527.jpg

Image-5539.jpg

Also it's interesting to note the place is suffering quite a bit. All those beams that have fallen in the adit tunnel have done so fairly recently, as here's a photo I took in 2008 of the adit entrance and as you can see no fallen beams.

Photo-005.jpg

M

Was moist in there mate and very mucky.glad u got a decent pic of the graphiti..i took about 4 shots but from anglei was happy not to fall into slime i couldnt quite crack it..fun evening tho if not very mucky :cool2:

The pictures look great :cool2: Did you get any pictures of Maniac riding his bike out there?

Mike didnt bring the bike..think the wind would have blown him of course a little :lol:

Good stuff folks, it's not a very nice place to be in is it? The air is fookin awful in there. :beer:

Well after wed left the door open a while we ventured in..im glad i had my boots on as the old days of wearing trainers would have been a big fail :)

The odour of creosote hung heavy in the air, it''s only when you come back out you realise how stuffy it is in there.

The odour of creosote hung heavy in the air, it''s only when you come back out you realise how stuffy it is in there.

creosote thats what it was i thought james had bad guts :)