Sign in to follow this  
Nelly

Copped Hall - Epping - Essex - April 2011

Copped Hall, Epping

This place has been on the list for eons. It used to be a walk in walk out place, so much so that many teenagers in the Epping area visited Copped Hall during the hours of darkness to experience the "Haunted Manor"

Then a certain Mr Rod Stewart brought a rather large mansion house in the grounds of Copped Hall and had some security measures put in place. A new electronic gate at the entrance meant that you had to park up and trudge nearly 2 miles across farm land to the place without being caught.

The today, I drove past and the gate was open!!! Fools!!!, I was up their like a bullet.

Very, very disappointed on arrival to find the all of the windows are now very heavily steel shuttered, it used to be an accessible shell, but it was brought in 1995 by the Copped Hall Trust and is now being restored.

So it was a mooch around the ground and a qucik photo session while trying to avoid the builders, I was nearly done when I got rumbled by an old boy carrying some 2x2. He turned out not to be a builder but a pretty bloody good expert on the place, he spent 15 minutes explaining the history of the building and what section was built in what year, he told his story with such enthusiasm that I was almost disappointed when he made his excuses and left

He tells me that a new roof has been put on and that they are in the process of replacing the floors, level by level and then the work on the interior will start to restore it to how it was before the fire.

a.jpg

The History

Recorded history at Copped Hall starts in the 12th century when there was already a substantial building on the site. At that time Copped Hall belonged to the Fitzaucher family who served the King as huntsmen.

It's history is massive and very interesting, but much to exhaustive to reproduce in this report

Some of the hightlights are as follows....

In 1548 Edward VI allowed the future Queen Mary to live at Copped Hall where she remained – to a large degree – a prisoner, as she was a Catholic.

In 1564 Queen Elizabeth I granted Copped Hall to her close friend - Sir. Thomas Heneage.

Almost immediately he started to rebuild the mansion – incorporating part of the old house in the south west corner. The building was complete by 1568 when Queen Elizabeth came to stay.

This version of the building was demolished in 1752

The 'new' mansion house that we see today was built in 1758

By 1900 there were at least 31 gardeners and 27 house servants looking after the Copped Hall - together with all the farm workers.

The main house was gutted in an accidental fire one Sunday morning in 1917 after the owners had allowed the Army to use Copped Hall as a hospital during World War I.

Members of the hospital staff were on the roof to view the destruction of a German Zeppelin over Grays in Essex, and the fire is thought to have started there due to a carelessly discarded cigarette.

Much of the contents were saved by many items were also lost. The family moved to Wood House on the estate which had been built by Ernest Wythes towards the end of the 19th century.

The move was supposed to be temporary but in the end Mr.Wythes never rebuilt Copped Hall.

Mr.Wythes died in 1949 and his wife died in 1951. The estate was sold in 1952 and at that time anything of value that could be stripped from the house and gardens was sold.

The wing was stripped of its timberwork, the staircases were removed from the mansion and wing, railing and gates were sold, garden balustrading, statues, steps, etc. were mostly removed.

Even many of the ancient specimen trees were cut down for their timber. The conservatory was eventually dynamited. Later the M25 was driven through a corner of the landscaped park.

Although the destruction was very serious, the essential identity of Copped Hall remained. The mansion shell was in surprisingly good condition.

However, once the M25 was built, Copped Hall became a developer's dream. Large scale schemes were proposed again and again.

After many battles against such proposals, the parkland was saved by the Corporation of London who purchased it in 1992.

The specially formed Copped Hall Trust saved the mansion and gardens by purchasing these in 1995.

The list of Sirs and Earls who have lived at Copped Hall over the past 900 years is huge and the full history and plans for the future can be found on the excellent Copped Hall Trust website.

http://www.coppedhalltrust.org.uk/

The magazine Country Life ran a full article on the charms of Copped Hall with many photographs published before the devastating fire. This perhaps remains as the only record of the house in its heyday.

http://www.countrylifeimages.co.uk/Search.aspx?s=Epping

John Conyers - Owner of the modern day Copped Hall

john_conyers.jpg

Banner2.jpg;OpenAirFundraiser2007.jpg;Banner1.jpg

IMG_9628.jpg

IMG_9608.jpg

IMG_9590.jpg

IMG_9607.jpg

IMG_9577.jpg

IMG_9576.jpg

IMG_9568.jpg

IMG_9565.jpg

IMG_9564.jpg

IMG_9561.jpg

IMG_9559.jpg

IMG_9551.jpg

IMG_9588.jpg

IMG_9585.jpg

IMG_9595.jpg

IMG_9544.jpg

IMG_9611.jpg

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By skeleton key
      Thankful there was enough remaining to grab some shots and at the same time have a good giggle
      Splored With Lara,Trog and peaches

In the back area of the stage Lara found some costumes and the silliness began.
      Beds began to roll up and down the corridors .

Better not to ask

I nearly ran straight into secca.
      At first i thought it was another fool dressed up but as Sindbad
      Then realized he was a Sihk Secca lol

This fella was either as deaf as a post or turned a blind eye & I wasnt fussed with either.
      As was more to see and we put a bit of distance between us and the now named Turbanator.

Cheers for looking in

• By Landie_Man
      So on the same day that I first went to the Cop Shop in Brentwood, Essex, we decided to drive 20 miles to the disused Police Station in Witham.  It was OK, but probably not worth the extra driving.  It was more of a cottage design inside.  Quite a nice relaxed explore though and had water and heating.  

I think this was closed as part of the massive cost cutting operation in Essex, but there isn't a huge amount of history.  Witham was closed before Brentwood, and the Police Department vacated in April 2016.  closed in April 2016

In December 2017; the former Police Station was put up for sale with a guide price of £875.000 but was eventually sold early 2018 for £1.6million 
      planning permission has been submitted to convert the site into a nursery school keeping all the outside features in place and nothing to be demolished.  

More At:
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/landie_man/albums/72157668348539988
    • By little_boy_explores
      Bretton Hall Gymnasium

The history

A teacher training college founded by Alec Clegg. The collage boasted in the design and the architecture of the veroius 'new' buildings scattered around the collage campus including the Gymnasium and the student centre. The collage merged with the University of Leeds in August 2001. Most of the music, fine art and teacher training courses were moved to the Leeds campus, but visual and performing arts education and creative writing remained at the Bretton site, which became home to the University's School of Performance and Cultural Industries. The Gymnasium also stayed but later became disused. The building now is a showdow of its former glory.

The explore

Ive always fancied to have a look around this building and never got the chance too... until recently. Its quite an unusual looking building but that said it would make a very nice modern Gym. Entry was fairly easy if you have common sense, and its nice to get out with a new member. Theres not much really else to say about this building... just watch out for the tourist who don't share the same interest as you when it comes to abandonment. 

The pictures 

@SILVERSKULL2004 if your still on the forum nice meeting you and a good mooch that...

Cheers for reading I know it's a bit of a small one but o'well

LBE

• By The Urban Collective
      Daresburyhall - Photographic report - Feb 2018

Daresbury Hall is a former Georgian country house in the village of Daresbury, Cheshire, England.
      It was built in 1759 for George Heron. the hall descended in the Heron family until 1850, when it became the property of Samuel Beckett Chadwick. By 1892 it had been acquired by Sir Gilbert Greenall, later Baron Daresbury.

During the Second World War, it was used as a military hospital and also by a charity, now known as Scope. It became semi-derelict after being bought by a millionaire who died before restoration could take place.
      In April 2015, a huge cannabis farm containing six hundred plants with an estimated street value of 750.000 was discovered at the estate.

In 2016 there were plans to partly demolish and convert the house but in June of that year
      the empty building was badly damaged by fire.

Unfortunately, during our visit, we were asked to leave the sight by security via a speaker system on the estate. We did, however, stick around for 20 mins until it went off again, to be honest,
      I'm not sure whether the system is automated and linked to motion sensors.

There is a lot of cameras on the sight too as shown the last pic.
      Any way we couldn't enter the property as it is completely sealed now with boards on all windows and doors etc except for a stable and a few dilapidated sheds.

We did the best we could in the situation we had.

Thanks for any feedback.

• By SILVERSKULL2004
      Explore

This was a fairly easy explore as these buildings are not as protected as the main college and the park relies on tourists to inform security about any vandals.
      The gymnasium was the hardest to get into as we had to avoid getting seen by any onlookers. So going at a later time of day would be advised.
      You should be cautious if you get further into the student centre as some of the doors looked to be alarmed.
      The classrooms are in the open and not surrounded by anything so you are likely to be spotted by security or tourists.
      We had a run in with security who were quite well mannered and laid back. All they said was that we were not to go near the building as it is a demolition site. 
      Explored with @little_boy_explores

History

Student Centre

I can't believe they left this in the open

Gymnasium

We didn't need to this door

Classrooms