Sign in to follow this  
Obscurity

Pugin’s Caves, Ramsgate – Sept 2010

For years a forgotten system of passages and tunnels are rumored to have been left disused under Ramsgate. The larger and more recognized tunnels are referred to as St.Augustines caves. Early photos show these tunnels and many entrances. The tunnels suffered after a cliff collapse causing them to become split into many small sections. These are now sealed and sit under the st. Augustine’s Abbey. Next to the abbey is Pugin’s house. This is open to the public but the tunnels aren't accessible. After speaking to the monks at the abbey we found that pugins caves were unexplored and the monks had no knowledge of if they still exist. Well, a while later we are in to unlock the secrets of Pugin’s caves. They were constructed by Pugin for the purposes of smuggling.

5695438737_ba426ee279.jpg

5695437435_6f1a1cd76c.jpg

5696011426_1f27ca71bd.jpg

5696010178_b37c1f7e49.jpg

5695433571_4ed9d8d6fa.jpg

5696007266_1b8f7a2915.jpg

5695430547_23cfb2216a.jpg

A & C 1867:-

5696004226_8967aeb919.jpg

5696002850_9a8c1c3c15.jpg

5696001468_bfd2e1dd4d.jpg

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By BritishRanger
      Well, heres another easy explore I done recently with a few friends. This is only the second location I've visited, so be gentle!

I wont bore you with TOO much history, as this has been done numerous times, and I'm sure most of you are aware of this place or have visited yourself.

CRANK CAVERNS, ST HELENS, MERSEYSIDE.

There are also legends of vicious dwarves eating children, soldiers going into the mines with gunpowder, etc.. But now to the pictures.

Sorry, not all the photos are in order, I had lots to do this morning and was just trying to get this uploaded. Hope you lot enjoy the photos anyway!

E.
    • By silverainbow
      Hi all have been wanting to get in to the Ramsgate Tunnels for a very long time now so when Space Invader tipped me off that I should get my backside down there I did just that , So now for a little history about this amazing network of ARP's courtesy of the Ramsgate History forum.
      The design and construction of the tunnels was masterminded by the Borough Engineer Mr. R.D. Brimmell B.Sc. A.M.I.C.E. as early as 1938, but was repeatedly turned down by the Home Office. Ramsgate's flamboyant Mayor of the time A.B.C. Kempe kept the pressure on, and with the increasing intensity of the war in Europe permission to start construction was given in the Spring of 1939.
      Work started immediately at a cost of just over £40,000 plus a further £13,500 for services and fittings. The first section between Queen Street and the Harbour was opened by the Duke of Kent on the 1st June 1939.
      The tunnels were 6 feet wide, 7 feet high and constructed at a depth of 50-75 feet to provide an adequate degree of protection against random bombing with 500 lb. and 1000 lb. medium capacity bombs. In the case of a direct hit, a 500 lb. bomb would not be expected to damage the tunnel; but some spalling (splintering) of the chalk would be expected if the bomb was a 1000 lb. medium capacity type and the overhead cover was less than 60 feet.
      After the end of World War II a large sewer pipe was installed in part of the system under Ellington Road and continued down to the Harbour. The remaining entrances were sealed and the tunnels began to fall into disrepair.
      More to Be had Here http://www.ramsgatehistory.com/forum/in ... opic=311.0
      And now for a few of my pics taken over two Visits, The first with Maverick and the Second With Dan H

Dan Doing His Thing

Thats All Folks, Thanks for Viewing
    • By Ramsgatonion
      I'm lacking transport at the moment, so I decided to take a walk and have a revisit of my most familiar UE haunt. Sadly the place has gone downhill fast - it was sealed recently, but they left it a bit late... Once upon a time the site was in great condition, but has sadly become a victim of its popularity with local kids. The building is still sealed up well - so after a comedy entrance, I was inside.
      You could hear a pin drop - even though it was pitch dark, it was reassuring to know I would not have any unwanted company, after seeing how well the place is secured. I remember, months ago my girlfriend and I had a nasty shock while on the roof - hearing an angle grinder start up, before an awkward encounter with the culprits downstairs...
      There has been a mill on this site for roughly 150 years, with the large silo structures built considerably later. As I recall, the site ceased operation around 2005 due to modernization. The site is now in development hell (the plan was to convert the Grade II listed building into apartments) - the buyer paid too much and couldn't make a profit, and left the whole site unguarded for years.
      Anyway, as it was a good night for it, half the photographs are taken from the roof. The other half were taken while I tried not to fall through rotten floorboards...

Thanks for looking!
    • By Ramsgatonion
      There has been scaffolding up here for quite some time, and it was obvious some brilliant views could be had from the top! So I set out one cold December night, found my way to bottom of the ladder, and began climbing. There was a PIR about 20 feet up, which turned out not to be connected to anything - so I carried on until I reached the turreted roof. It was a great spot to sit (when out of view) and enjoy the unique views!
      The church is opposite a monastery - here's a snippet of history quoted from pugin.com:
      "This is a Grade 1 listed building of as much historic value as The Grange next door. Despite having a private chapel in his house, Pugin built St. Augustine's for himself. It was begun in 1844, Pugin made only one plan for the building and this was where the foundations should be. From then on it grew out of a passion for the endeavour.
      The construction ceased from time to time since funds frequently ran out and Pugin would only use the best materials. He had stone bought from Whitby, as well as using local flint.
      The church was not finished at Pugin's death and the outside wall next to the road was only at waist height and approximately ten foot long. However this was completed by his eldest son Edward who was also an architect."

Enjoy the photographs!

Thanks for looking!
    • By silverainbow
      This was another one of those explores for me that had fond memories attached to it, This place was most recently used as a Motor Museum which was closed back in 2006, In my child hood my Gran used to take me here from time to time the place still smels exactly as it did back then, funny how old oil lingers for ever !, History more than covered by Wevsky In his Report viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1959
      Visited with Space Invader, Morgan, Obscurity & Vickie, So on with the Pics !

Good Explore this, Shame its all buttoned up tight again !