Love the snack line!

Cracking pictures as always Ninja. I love this place, and I may even try and go back as I missed the clock tower.

Steve, you should hit Sheffield. Well worth a couple of days, and almost everything is in walking distance of each other.

Guest Scattergun

This looks like an awesome mooch. Love the arched corridors and that courtrooms stunnin. Nice one :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Stevepg
      There were four different types of munitions factory:

Engineering factories producing the metal casings for bombs and shells or, in some instances, producing parts, rifles, guns and tanks.

Small-arms factories producing the bullet casings. (These factories were often existing engineering factories turned over to war production.)

Explosive factories manufacturing various explosive agents.

Filling factories to fill the bomb and shell casings with the explosives.

This site produced Cordite and was chosen for its distance from German bomber bases in Europe, while having good rail networks and a rural location that provided a good supply of labour. This ROF  employed circa 13000 during WW2 mainly women. 

The Ministry of Works built a large water abstraction and treatment plant , just to supply the plant.

To connect the site to the national rail network, a large marshalling yard of 10 separate roads was constructed, and these connected to the works' internal network of rail lines. A passenger platform was built for military usage. All the cordite produced at the plant was taken by these sidings to Crewe.

The site was well defended, both on the ground and from the air; several Type 22 Pillboxes and Type 24 Pillboxes and the entire site was under a mile away from RAF base, which was home to at least one fighter squadron, for defending the region's industrial assets from bomber attack.

• By Landie_Man
      Visited back in November with Mookster after seeing the Typhoo Factory.  Another one ticked off the list which has been kicking about for years.  I really enjoyed this one; though quite bare and largely sealed, it had a lot of nice things to see down there.  The air was pretty bad though in places!

History - Borrowed!
      The ‘Shadow Factory Tunnels’ are what remain of Lord Austin’s secret plans that were created to increase the force of the British military against the German military aggression in the arms race that led up to the start of the Second World War. 

Munitions workers produced Merlin engines to power Spitfires and Hawker Hurricanes which were used to regain control of the British skies during the 1940 Battle of Britain.
      The Shadow Scheme involved two stages; the building of nine new factories and the extension of  existing factories.

This extension included here; the Longbridge plant. Australian-born industrialist and Conservative MP, Lord Austin, whom founded Austin Motors; had already contributed to the war effort during the First World War, turning his factories to munitions and engine production.

The tunnels which ran beneath Austin Rovers Longbridge plant are mostly all that is left of the plant; a large housing development increases in size upon the former footprint.  These tunnels ensured that production of the engines and munitions could continue underground in relative safety. 

After WWII; the factory returned to producing automobiles and the tunnels were soon abandoned. By the late 60s, the  plant was the second largest car plant in the world. 

After the collapse of MG Rover, the site saw its redevelopment.  Famously; a mini was kept down here after workers damaged it in the 70s and it was hidden from bosses.  The mini is now in a museum.  
      This is a very small portion of the tunnels.  Lots is bricked up

• By Landie_Man
      In classic Harry style; this forms part of another explore backlog!  I visited here in November 2018 with Mookster.  It formed part of a little Midland Roadtrip we did that day.  
      We all know what to expect with this place; its pretty pillaged now, access was a doddle and it was full of other explorers; something which seems to be a much more frequent occurrence these days!  
      We met some really nice people here and had a relaxed half hour or so before moving to the next site.

The Typhoo Tea Factory, founded by John Summer in 1903 and was known a local landmark in Birmingham. 

Tea production began here in the 30's; and survived bombing by the Luftwaffe in WW2. in 1968; Typhoo merged with Schweppes and with Cadbury the following year, forming Cadbury-Schweppes. 
      The factory eventually closed in 1978 as a tea making facility; but remained open as a clothes warehouse until around 2008.

The grounds, which are currently being used as a 148-space pay and display car park (very handy for exploring!), have been granted planning permission as part of a £14 million project to  turn the site into a brand new university campus for the Birmingham City University.

Thanks for Looking, more at:
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/landie_man/albums/72157704773968425
    • By Andy
      RAF Coningsby is a partially active RAF base and was opened in 1940 as a bomber station. Unfortunately, I couldn’t find more about the history of this place. So I don't know when the abandoned part has been closed.

Stupidly I had forgotten the plate of my tripod at home. That's why I had to take the photos without a tripod and with a higher ISO setting.
      Visited with @The_Raw and others, before we joined the "End of summer party" in September last year.

45 - The_Raw's new friend   

• By Stevepg
      External reccie complete only 8 x heads away from entry; was there an hour on way out security arrived so probs cctv still working; 
      Found some graffitti carved in the brickwork by some of those incarcerated
      hope to be in next week