Sign in to follow this  
silverainbow

UK Fan Bay, Dover, Feb 2013

This shelter is at the site of Fan Bay Battery a WWII site originally comprising 3 x 6" guns with associated magazines, shelters, Plotting room, Admin and accomodation areas. Today only traces of the gun pits can be found underneath the undergrowth and all surface buildings have been demolished.

How ever there are still extensive underground remains to be found at the site, the largest of which is the deep shelter, This was constructed in 1941 by No.172 Tunneling Coy Royal Engineers, it is still accessible as are the magazines.

Visited with Dan H (Non Member) so on with a few Pics, Firstly the one of the Magazines

fri15050_zps061e3d47.jpg

fri15051_zpse7ed4deb.jpg

fri15053_zps96278780_1.jpg

fri15055_zpsd6c70fc0.jpg

fri15053_zps96278780_1.jpg

And now the deep shelter which in my Opinion is still more than worth a visit :D

fri15057_zps82431e96.jpg

fri15061_zpscfcff8c7.jpg

fri15062_zps35655b41.jpg

fri15066_zps0ed7f163.jpg

fri15074_zps3a9da328.jpg

fri15067_zps9f8bf094.jpg

fri15078_zpsa6013e43.jpg

fri15080_zps5d220ffd.jpg

fri15084_zpse1d1e3ef.jpg

fri15088_zps0b7d7d29.jpg

fri15077_zpsfe30ad53.jpg

Thats all Folks :beer:

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Dale68
      In the forest sits this stone building, I can't find any info on it other that it's sitting on a settlement mound.

Video.. https://youtu.be/nGuRNOeRuA8

• By Staklo
      This is from a exploration on the 13th of May, 2013. These pictures are mostly the east buildings from the interior. Second set will be south end and my favorites, the roof.
      Brach’s Candy was a Chicago (and world) candy factory legend. This facility, one of the largest candy factories in the world, was mostly built in 1921-23 and then partially rebuilt in 1948 after a tragic fire and explosion killed 11 employees. At its peak, the facility was over 2,200,000 sq feet (670,560 meters) and had 2,400 workers. Typical vulture capitalism in the 1980’s into the 2000’s destroyed the company and this facility closed the doors to workers in 2003. One of the office buildings was blown up for the movie Dark Knight in 2007. Due to much of the west complex being gang occupied and the neighborhood sporadically violent, I chose the last cold day of that spring to visit, on Mother’s Day, a very big holiday in the USA, figuring even gangbangers might take an afternoon off to visit their mums 🙂
      So I got there mid-afternoon and only left as it was getting too dark to see much, let alone photograph. I tried to go back one more time, but it was not possible to access, and within weeks it was in the process of being wrecked. For the USA, it had more interior metal than many buildings I've been in, which usually have been picked clean by scrappers, which gave it a nice ambiance. Overall, it was a very dark location, due to most windows being bricked up and it was late in the day when I visited, but what light I had was beautiful. The last pic in this set shows downtown Chicago in the distance.
      I'll post set two in a week or two, then start digging through files for other past and recent explorations.
      Many thanks to everyone who welcomed me on the introduction board. Thanks to all who share, some really amazing reports here, and looking forward to looking around more, but figured I should share something for starters 🙂
      Staklo

• By Dale68
      Been waiting all week to go here only to find it's all been boarded back . so just some from the outside.☹️

• By lucan
      The company was established in 1949 , they relocated in 2015 to a more central location and just left the site ,
      there is a small petrol station at the front consisting of two bungalows , one is fairly empty and the other is full of paperwork from the petrol sales , 
      not a huge ammount left in the factory but a fair bit of office stuff laying round and a few work stations , decaying nicely in a few places
      on with the pics from my visit 

thanks for looking
    • By Landie_Man
      I had been waiting to do this one for a month or so; but simply hadn't found the time to hop on the M40 and up to Brum.  
      It was a good opportunity to meet up with some explorers whom I have been chatting to for the best part of ten years or so and do an explore at the same time!  

We arrived here mid morning one Sunday and once inside; the beauty of the place was revealed!  I really loved this place.  

Again though; it was full of the new age era of explorers; about a dozen of them, some videoing and some just shooting photos.  It's rare you bump into a person on explores, but lately its been every explore.  This one was flavour of the month back in the summer though!!

After the explore, we went to Costco for a cheap lunch in the canteen there and had a nice, chilled drive around the local area looking for other sites

The Hall, built between 1903 and 1904 by architects Ewan Harper and James Harper and the terracotta was made by Gibbs and Canning ltd of Tamworth, is situated at the northern end of Corporation Street in Birmingham. 

The hall is a 3 storey red brick and terracotta building with Grade II Listing on it, with  2000 seats in the main halll over 30 additional rooms including 3 school halls. 
      By 1991, the building had been converted into a nightclub which closed in 2002, but reopened as the Q Club in 2007. 
      This club's last event at the premises was "Flashback" in 2011. During its time as a Night Club 3 deaths were reported.  
      -A punter jumped off the tower in 1998 
      -A clubber OD'd in 2000 
      -A stabbing outside in 2008. 
      The Club reopened in 2012, but closed in 2016.  

In 2018; Birmingham city council granted planning permission to convert it into a 147 room hotel costing £35 million.
      Works have begun and are expected to be complete by 2020.

I just love the contrast between old and new here; with the older Methodists Hall and the big, modern buildings springing up around it.  There is a live part of the building and as we were there, a Gospel Band were practicing literally behind the wall; a strong scent of Jerk Chicken was filling the rooms of the abandoned part.  

Thanks for Looking, more of the Hall at:
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/landie_man/albums/72157674880523028