• Similar Content

• By Ghost-Scooter
      Built in the early 20th century this church closed its doors in 2008.

Although there was an open window and a ladder I decided to take the way through the tubular shaft beneath the church to enter the location.  It has been something I've been looking forward to since planning the trip. Unhappily I did'nt expect 3 days of bad muscle soorness. 😒 😂  I have to admit that i left by the window. 

upstairs next

• By obscureserenity
      Mineral Springs Bath House

The construction of the Mineral Springs Bath House  began in 1907. This was in order to bring in more tourism and wealth into the area. The town it was built in was an excellent location to host a bath house, as it was well known for it's rich mineral water sources which was believed to have medicinal properties. During the start of the 20th century mineral baths were a very fashionable and popular leisure activity. It took 3 years to build, with the help of local residents and neighbouring villages. It was finally unveiled with a ceremony in 1911.

The materials which were used for the interior were designed in Vienna, France and Belgium and it was the most expensive healing bath in Bulgaria at that current time. Typical to most bath houses, it was separated into two sections, one for the men and another for the women. Both areas accommodated for it's visitors with a large circular pool, changing rooms and 10 bathtubs. The baths also provided central heating facilities, the main parts of the building were kept consistently at 15°C, the changing rooms at 28°C and the baths themselves were 32°C. The bath house was also equip with a clinic, admin offices and a large laundry room.

Sadly the Mineral Springs Baths eventually closed in 2001, due to the decline in interest and popularity along with the lack of investment by the local government.

Externals 

Internals

If you've got this far, thanks for reading 

• By obscureserenity
      Peppermint Powerplant

The Peppermint Powerplant was built in conjunction to a nearby paper mill with the purpose of supplying electricity to it. The plant features a stunning peppermint colour scheme on the singular turbine and control panels. The turbine itself was produced by Siemens, a company established in 1904 in Berlin and is currently one of the most prominent manufactures of high powered gas turbines worldwide. In addition to this the power station also hosted two Steinmüller boilers. One of which was commissioned in 1954 and the other in 1965. Both the power station and the paper mill were decommissioned around 1999. From what we could see the paper mill had been stripped and looked quite bare. Despite being closed for nearly 20 years the power station has remained in very nice condition.

(Excuse the awkward handheld shot)

(Getting pretty dark by this point so we called it a day)

Hope you enjoyed reading my report.
    • By Staklo
      This is from a exploration on the 13th of May, 2013. These pictures are mostly the east buildings from the interior. Second set will be south end and my favorites, the roof.
      Brach’s Candy was a Chicago (and world) candy factory legend. This facility, one of the largest candy factories in the world, was mostly built in 1921-23 and then partially rebuilt in 1948 after a tragic fire and explosion killed 11 employees. At its peak, the facility was over 2,200,000 sq feet (670,560 meters) and had 2,400 workers. Typical vulture capitalism in the 1980’s into the 2000’s destroyed the company and this facility closed the doors to workers in 2003. One of the office buildings was blown up for the movie Dark Knight in 2007. Due to much of the west complex being gang occupied and the neighborhood sporadically violent, I chose the last cold day of that spring to visit, on Mother’s Day, a very big holiday in the USA, figuring even gangbangers might take an afternoon off to visit their mums ?
      So I got there mid-afternoon and only left as it was getting too dark to see much, let alone photograph. I tried to go back one more time, but it was not possible to access, and within weeks it was in the process of being wrecked. For the USA, it had more interior metal than many buildings I've been in, which usually have been picked clean by scrappers, which gave it a nice ambiance. Overall, it was a very dark location, due to most windows being bricked up and it was late in the day when I visited, but what light I had was beautiful. The last pic in this set shows downtown Chicago in the distance.
      I'll post set two in a week or two, then start digging through files for other past and recent explorations.
      Many thanks to everyone who welcomed me on the introduction board. Thanks to all who share, some really amazing reports here, and looking forward to looking around more, but figured I should share something for starters ?
      Staklo

• By Jenn
      Hey there, just joined little bit ago. So far, I’ve never really done video or photography for sharing. I’ve always done everything alone and I started posting bits here and there on my Instagram. I would like to start exploring more with others. I travel a lot so if anyone is interested hit me up. I’m in Michigan ?...

Instagram.com/eyesonthesoul