starlight

Canterbury Barracks

Ah yes, this was on the BBC news a while back. I work in Canterbury, so I will be keeping a very close eye on this. :-)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By anthrax
      Hello folks!

I recently visited an abandoned military barrack which was used by Pioneers for almost a hundred years. The area is abandoned for a few years now, 2015 the buildings were used for accommodation for refugees. Since somewhere around then, the place sits empty. There are already plans on how the area is going to be used once they tore down the remains of the barracks. A new district housing around 2500 people, a school campus and a kindergarten amongst other things will be built here. All that a car-free zone. Can't say I'm too bummed about that, sounds like it could be a sick project! 

DSC_6434 by anthrax, auf Flickr

DSC_6453 by anthrax, auf Flickr

DSC_6463 by anthrax, auf Flickr

DSC_6478 by anthrax, auf Flickr

DSC_6486 by anthrax, auf Flickr

DSC_6494 by anthrax, auf Flickr

DSC_6512 by anthrax, auf Flickr

DSC_6544 by anthrax, auf Flickr

If I could excite you for more, check out the full album here or my post about it here. 
    • By Maniac
      This was a surprisingly good explore. We set out origenally just for a recce, but ended up in a full explore.
      St Mildreds Tannery stands along side the River Stour in Canterbury City Centre. There are just a few remaning buildings now, the rest have been demolished and are now rapidly becoming a housing estate. The remaining buildings which have been left because they are on the other side of the river from the main housing development, are themselves due to be demolished soon, so we had to get in there and have a look round.
      Visted with Swamp_Donkey.
      A little History
      St. Mildred’s Tannery was established in 1860 preparing and tanning imported hides. From 1988 it concentrated on the dressing, softening and dying of hides. The tannery closed in the early 2000's and has now moved its centre of operations to an industrial estate in Thanet.
      The site is rapidly becoming a housing estate, the main tannery site has been demolished for a long time, and is mostly flats now, but there are still these remaining buildings on the other side of the river.
      Why is it called St. Mildred's Tannery? Well, it takes its name from St. Mildred's Church which is reputed to be one of the oldest in Canterbury and is practically next door to the tannery site.
      There's lots of pigeon shit on the upper levels here and tons of dead pigeons as well, so it wasn't the most pleasent of places to explore. We only explored about half of what is left, as it was getting late and Swamp_Donkey needed to get his beauty sleep.
      Apologies for some of these pics, I've had to enhance a lot of them to make them any use! Note to self - must get brighter torch for light painting!
      Anyway, enough waffle - on with the pics.
      Err, yeah right. . . .

Everything downstairs was a putrid shade of green. Why did they choose these colours!!

Spiral staircase of doom! Actually it was surprisngly stable.

We then entered a massive washroom area which reminded me a bit of the baths in a coal mine. I suppose this was heavy industry and was pretty dirty work.

And this room was next door, all tiled in white.

Compulsory fire extinguisher and dead pigeon shot.

The next room along was a massive manufacturing floor, no machinery left unfortunitely. The space was so big it was impossible to photograph with my little LED torch for lighting, but there was some interesting stuff remaining.

We then had a little explore upstairs.
      Middle floor

Top Floor

Hatchway in floor

Obligatory chair shot

Then we found ourselves in the top half of the bit we started in, which had by far the best bits in it, as well as half a ton of pigeon shit. Seriously, we were crunching over the stuff, it wasn't pleasent.
      Old machinery

Crane and showing the size of this room.

Then a little room to one end of this space held the best bit of the night.

Thanks for looking!
      Maniac.
    • By Maniac
      About 6 years ago myself and Frosty had a go at getting up this. We failed at the time, neither one of us was confident enough to try climbing over the gate half way up.
      Fast forward 6 years, I thought I'd have another crack at this while killing some time in Canterbury, then I revisited it again a I had camera issues the first time.
      This gas holder is different from most because it was enclosed and as a bonus you can get inside it at the moment as they've cut a whacking great hole in the side. I say was because the actual gas holder that would have been inside the massive structure is gone, they've removed it and the rest of the structure's days are numbered. Want to go and get the best view of Canterbury you'll ever see, go soon, like real soon. Also the acoustics in there are fantastic, I was like a kid in a toy shop making all kinds of noises just to hear the booming echo that just carried on and on and on. . . .
      Visited this twice, first time with extreme_ironing and the second time with a non-member, we'll call him 'A'
      Not many photos, there's only so many you can take of a gas holder!
      There it is! (They are stars, not dead pixels on my camera I promise)

Best view of the Cathedral I think you'll ever see.

Starry Starry night . . . .

Compulsory selfie.

Inside where they've stripped out the actual working parts

Just because.

Thanks for looking,
      Maniac.
    • By Infraredd
      More holiday snaps!
      The Sa Caleta Coastal Battery is a coastal defence consisting of a set of three open gun emplacements built between 1936 and 1937, by the Nationalist (fascist) forces during the Spanish Civil war to protect the approaches to Ibiza Airport.
      I knew something was here but found all this more or less by accident 'cause the ruin I found on Google Earth was an excavated Roman Villa!
      There is an opening in the cliff face above the beach at Sa Caleta & that attracted my attention.
      Pictures
      Sa Caleta Costal Battery gully holes by Infraredd, on Flickr
      Pretty beach
      Sa Caleta Costal Battery gully cliff by Infraredd, on Flickr
      Leads back to
      Sa Caleta Costal Battery gully exit by Infraredd, on Flickr
      A barracks
      Sa Caleta Costal Battery Barracks 1 by Infraredd, on Flickr
      Not very well secured
      Sa Caleta Costal Battery Barracks inside 1 by Infraredd, on Flickr
      Remains of the crappers bit exposed for me
      Sa Caleta Costal Battery Barracks bog by Infraredd, on Flickr
      round the corner
      Sa Caleta Costal Battery Barracks inside 2 by Infraredd, on Flickr
      Out the back is this interesting structure
      Sa Caleta Costal Battery hellmouth 1 by Infraredd, on Flickr
      Going down
      Sa Caleta Costal Battery hellmouth 2 by Infraredd, on Flickr
      At the bottom of the stairs is a corridor to some other stairs & this is how it's laid out here - no rooms at all just up, down & along
      Sa Caleta Costal Battery bunker corridor 1 by Infraredd, on Flickr
      Up and out
      Sa Caleta Costal Battery bunker corridor stairs by Infraredd, on Flickr
      To this
      Sa Caleta Costal Battery gun emplacement 2 by Infraredd, on Flickr
      Down again
      Sa Caleta Costal Battery bunker corridor down by Infraredd, on Flickr
      Sa Caleta Costal Battery bunker corridor 3 by Infraredd, on Flickr
      & up again
      Sa Caleta Costal Battery bunker corridor way out by Infraredd, on Flickr
      Sa Caleta Costal Battery gun emplacement 4 by Infraredd, on Flickr
      & down again
      Sa Caleta Costal Battery bunker corridor 2 by Infraredd, on Flickr
      & out to this one with it's own stairs down
      Sa Caleta Costal Battery bunker shadow by Infraredd, on Flickr
      Sa Caleta Costal Battery bunker entrance by Infraredd, on Flickr
      More externals including the observation post with no underground access.
      Sa Caleta Costal Battery bunker 1 by Infraredd, on Flickr
      Sa Caleta Costal Battery gun emplacement 1 by Infraredd, on Flickr
      Sa Caleta Costal Battery gun emplacement 5 by Infraredd, on Flickr
      Sa Caleta Costal Battery observation point 1 by Infraredd, on Flickr
      Sa Caleta Costal Battery observation point 2 by Infraredd, on Flickr
      Thanks for looking
    • By Serenity4
      After looking around CMH we decided to have a look around some old barracks. After nearly getting seen making our way in, we headed towards one of the hangars. The place is fairly large and there is a lot of open ground which I believe was used in the filming of 'World War Z'. Overall awesome day, without getting caught