Lara

St Joseph's Chapel - December 2012

Another one of my birthday splores with SK, brilliant day and this was a lovely one. We only ventured in to the chapel as the light was fading. My pics aren't that great as was still getting to grips with the lens.

Designed by Edward Pugin in 1868 the college started life as a orphanage when it opened in 1868. It became the Junior Seminary St Joseph's College from 1925 -1940.

The buildings were also used as a ballet school between 1950 - 1990, but some of the building where damaged in the 1987 storm and the insurance was not enough to cover the repair bill. It was during this time the chapel was converted in to a theatre.

In 1993 it became The Jameah Islamiyah School where in 2006 the school was searched following allegations of training and recruiting terrorists. It was reported that Abu Mamza and groups of around 30 of his followers held terrorist training camps at the school, including training in, AK47 rifles handguns and mock rocket launchers. A number of arrests were made.

In 2007 the school was eventually closed after failing a ofsted inspection.

Splored with SK

16_zpsb57451b0.jpg

17_zps794c2605.jpg

18_zps69b59f3d.jpg

25_zps3307f503.jpg

14_zpsce680e3b.jpg

15_zps245ae663.jpg

11_zpse81fec55.jpg

12_zps03474a7e.jpg

20_zpse283502d.jpg

Thanks for looking people :jump

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By kingjoseph
      Hello, I'm new here but have been an explorer for a couple of years. Located around N.C and V.A. just posted to say hi!
    • By Andy
      Visited during a trip to Wales in May with @The_Raw 
      When we arrived, an elderly man was sitting in front of the former church, which is on a private property. I spoke to him and he referred to the owner, who lives in a house behind the chapel. She gladly allowed us to enter the building and take pictures inside. While she got the key, we played with her dog, who was enthusiastic about our occupation with him ...

Siloam Methodist Chapel was built in 1833, rebuilt in 1866 and modified in 1878. The 1886 chapel was built in the Sub-Classical style of the gable-entry type. Siloam closed in 1993 and has since been converted for secular use. The current owner bought the church a few years ago and uses it today as a storage area.

• By Andy
      This church was the reason why I wanted to go to Wales during my last trip to the UK. Thanks @The_Raw and @Miss.Anthrope for visiting this place with me.

History (taken from The_Raw)
      Engedi Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Chapel built was built in 1842, rebuilt in 1867 and modified in 1890. The present chapel, dated 1867, is built in the Classical style of the gable entry type, to the design of architect Richard Owen of Liverpool by Evan Jones of Dolyd and cost £4579. The Classical front is of granite masonry with Penmon stone dressings and a portico. The chapel is now Grade II listed.

The interior contains an octagonal pulpit and an ornate organ with classical detailing including Corinthian pilasters and swags. The raked galley is on three sides and is supported by cast iron columns with brackets and foliate capitals. The ceiling consists of 15 square panels, again very heavily decorated with classical mouldings and with ornate roses to the centre of each providing ventilation and fittings for lights. The basement has a ministers room, offices and a schoolroom.

The chapel was sold at auction in April 2014 for £45,000 after having been disused for a number of years. At this time it remains disused and in a state of disrepair.

• By Andy
      Only a few quick shots, taken without a tripod.
      I don't know when the chapel (called "Capel Zinc") was built, it was a subsidiary tabernacle for the now Holy Trinity Church in Corris.
      Chairs has been removed and apparently the property is now used by a flower grower.
      Visited with @The_Raw and @Miss.Anthrope.

• By The_Raw
      Engedi Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Chapel built was built in 1842, rebuilt in 1867 and modified in 1890. The present chapel, dated 1867, is built in the Classical style of the gable entry type, to the design of architect Richard Owen of Liverpool by Evan Jones of Dolyd and cost £4579. The Classical front is of granite masonry with Penmon stone dressings and a portico. The chapel is now Grade II listed.

The interior contains an octagonal pulpit and an ornate organ with classical detailing including Corinthian pilasters and swags. The raked galley is on three sides and is supported by cast iron columns with brackets and foliate capitals. The ceiling consists of 15 square panels, again very heavily decorated with classical mouldings and with ornate roses to the centre of each providing ventilation and fittings for lights. The basement has a ministers room, offices and a schoolroom.

The chapel was sold at auction in April 2014 for £45,000 after having been disused for a number of years. At this time it remains disused and in a state of disrepair.

One thing Wales has in abundance is abandoned chapels. They're not my kind of thing especially but as chapels go this is a pretty decent one. Andy K found this a couple of years ago and amazingly it hasn't changed a lot bar some extra pigeons and their wicked ways. Visited again with @Andy & @Miss.Anthrope.

Diolch am edrych eto