Rik

UK Water Tower and Pumping Station (Great Gaddesden) - April 2013

Hi folks

Here is my first post, any feedback appreciated, went for a walk in the woods, and stumbled across this Water Tower and Pumping Station (I think its a pumping station had signs all over it DANGER DEEP WELL and was locked unfortunately but grabbed a couple of shots from inside the door had to have a bit of a nose around in the water tower and would have loved to have climbed the external ladder, but thought I would give it a miss as I was on my own!

Apologies for the quality of the photographs, taken on a mobile phone until I get a real camera :)

Its the posting that counts though right :)

All got to start somewhere :)

8697479583_d1e31e720e_b.jpg

Good job I didn't have a fried breakfast that day, squeezed through ok :)

8698603766_f7e49cf6ac_b.jpg

Danger Deep Well sign, I presume this is a kind of pumping station?

8698603322_6e6b7debdc_b.jpg

Couldn't get in this building unfortunately

8698602978_1358c2ff34_b.jpg

Looks like a concentration camp!

8698602808_58033b44d7_b.jpg

Danger Deep Well (apparently)

8698602192_2555257a94_b.jpg

We're in! Bit of a squeeze!

8697479053_1606c479fe_b.jpg

First Floor

8697478755_6e595e96b8_b.jpg

8697478599_06f19e0420_b.jpg

8697478011_eede9c5478_b.jpg

2nd floor staircase

8697477887_2e47f1a7ab_b.jpg

Access to the roof

8697477583_92889ec2a5_b.jpg

8697477417_e1200f09fb_b.jpg

8698600042_0fda2933f2_b.jpg

No idea what this is, answers on a postcard please!

8698599904_c47ace036f_b.jpg

Next visit I will climb this to the penthouse roof! Would be some stunning views

8697477025_794124a074_b.jpg

Keg of Beer? No unfortunately

8698599648_2c2f89f4cd_b.jpg

Way in and out

8698599520_6e884942dd_b.jpg

Danger High Voltage?

8697476333_a5e26b34d1_b.jpg

Workshop on the ground floor apologies for quality it was dark.

8698598932_df8d0448b1_b.jpg

Fusebox?

8697478477_fe988b4f2b_b.jpg

8697478319_933632067b_b.jpg

Anyone we know?

8697478199_8f6324c1e3_b.jpg

They were right, next stop was up the external ladder to the roof!

8698598618_ef8dac7d11_b.jpg

A peek through the door into the pumping station/deep well.

Thanks for looking and hope to bag something a bit bigger and interesting next explore and with a decent camera :)

Edited by skeleton key
Added country under prefix & post Icon

Guest Scattergun

Excellent stuff, looks the mutts mate :) Did you get to the top?

That’s a defo Rik its all about havin fun and sharing and without a doubt we all started some where.

Some venture into this as existing Photographers others as Novices.

The learning aspect is all part of the fun as well as frustrating at times.

Im no expert & just say if any of your pics are blurry just drop them from your selection and stick with the ones in focus

And as using a phone for now try reducing the image size as bigger is not always better.

I hope you enjoyed this splore & thanks for sharing. :D:D

Good report that mate..one small suggestion that maybe you could use a smaller number of shots maybe discard a few that arent in focus etc and show us the better ones..i tend to stick to about 12 odd pics of the best bits :thumb

Excellent stuff, looks the mutts mate :) Did you get to the top?

Top floor inside, but didn't fancy climbing the external ladder seeing as it was just me and the dog, just in case the thing fell off the wall! I would have if there were a couple of us! Next time maybe :)

Great first report, I quite like #8 :thumb

Thanks mate appreciated :)

Edited by Rik

That’s a defo Rik its all about havin fun and sharing and without a doubt we all started some where.

Some venture into this as existing Photographers others as Novices.

The learning aspect is all part of the fun as well as frustrating at times.

Im no expert & just say if any of your pics are blurry just drop them from your selection and stick with the ones in focus

And as using a phone for now try reducing the image size as bigger is not always better.

I hope you enjoyed this splore & thanks for sharing. :D:D

Thanks for tips and yes it was very exciting for a venture back into exploring, I did explore a derelict hospital one but that was about 20 years ago when I was young lol :)

Good report that mate..one small suggestion that maybe you could use a smaller number of shots maybe discard a few that arent in focus etc and show us the better ones..i tend to stick to about 12 odd pics of the best bits :thumb

Thanks for suggestions, this is a learning process for me now, feedback appreciated :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Nikonlover
      Popped out with the new camera yesterday with two friends. Still getting used to it. :D Went to Hi-Finish Castings in Birmingham. 

From what I could find out with paperwork inside the land was bought in 1935 at a cost of £12,000. In between 1935 and 1941 the building was built and an inventory took place in July 1941 at a cost of £25,269. 

Various metals were made for all types of products like wall fittings (Sockets and light fixtures) to car parts(Door handles, wing mirror casing and much more) and they had various clients like Bentley, Ford and Talbot. 

In the early days also Mitchells and Butler where involved in the company. 

Was a great relaxed explore and even though the main factory space was empty (It had some gems) the offices were great. The safe in the toilet had some wonderful paperwork in it detailing the history. What a depressing canteen though. Windows on all sides with a view of a brick wall. Some wonderful gems about if you look though.

Closed in 2008 I believe with a loss of about 42 jobs. Company is no longer about.

Enjoy.
    • By BrotherHoodUrbex
      History
      Margaret Beaven School is a grade II-listed building that was built in 1885 and was designed by Francis Doyle.
      The house was originally called Eddesbury, it was supposedly the last sustainable Victorian house that was built in West Derby.
      It was once occupied by Danson Cunningham a friend of Margaret Beaven who was Liverpool's first woman lord mayor.
      Since the school shut down 13 years ago, the building has been used for filming purposes.

It was reported that in May 2018, there was a large fire that ripped throughout the building, we don't know which parts of the building have been damaged as we have not been back since.

Our Visit
      After driving past this place a few times previous to our visit, we decided to have a look online to see if anyone had visited the site before us and unfortunately we came up empty-handed. After realizing this, we took it upon our selves to go down and try gain access, it took us 3 visits before we finally found an entry point. The access point was hard to get through as it was awkward and a tight squeeze.
      The front part of the building is boarded up and is alarmed, we did manage to gain access but the alarm was unbearable so we decided to just leave it. Once we left, we hung around to see if someone would show up and they did. 
      Overall, the explore was well worth it even though we didn't stay to get pictures of the main building.

• By Landie_Man
      Another backlog from a West Country Road Trip back in late May with Mookster, our American explorer friend and myself.  This was our second stop off on our first day on the trip; our first being Tone Mills, a revisit for me so I haven't done a report, but with Tone its always a pleasure seeing it.  A wonderful site each and every time.  
      The three of us embarked on the large two day road trip in my trusty 1988 Volvo 240 and rocked up in Torrington that morning.  This site has been derelict for absolutely years, but its in the arse end of nowhere so its taken a while to see it.
      -

Closed in 1993; Dairy Crest's Creamery sat on a site which had been a creamery since 1874.  This particular Art Deco site was built in the 1930's to meet needs, but When the government de-centralised milk collection,the creamery was finally killed off and it closed its doors; a severe blow to the area; with around 200 Job losses.

More At:
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/landie_man/albums/72157699243815344
    • By jakeurbexphotography
      On the outskirts of Fishburn lies the derelict Winterton hospital. Winterton hospital used to be very big however most of its buildings were demolished and this part is the only building that remains of it. All of the windows are boarded up however when we got there it looked like someone had pulled the entire doorway off causing the whole thing to open making an entry so easy. Inside the building is in terrible condition, (similar to St. peter's) with collapsed floors, wallpaper peeling, water damage etc. We also didn't realise at the time that the building had asbestos but luckily we had masks so make sure to bring one if you're planning on going inside. We were unable to access the top floor due to the floor being so bad so we only got photos from the corridor as we came up the stairs. That all being said, winterton hospital does have a lot of history and it is a shame to see it left in such a poor state. 

• By jakeurbexphotography
      Just off the A66 in Darlington, there is an abandoned farm called Little Burdon farm, it has been derelict for at least a decade. It consists of different buildings being from a farmhouse to old barns or stables. There's really two farmhouses, a red brick one and a more modern white house. It also looks like some refurbishment/demolition has taken place but again has been held off or abandoned. The farm was built around the 1830s and is grade 2 listed. There is no security here and is easy to get into all of the buildings. That being said the buildings are indeed derelict so some floors are dangerous and can't be accessed. In the white house building, part of the upstairs floor has been removed due to the refurbishment works but has been left standing as it is.  It also looks like the rooms have been stripped out and all electrics and gas pipes have been removed.