nickynackynoo

A Place to Drink and Dance, Lancashire, May 2013

OK, first post, be nice.

This place has been on my radar for a while now. Was bored one Thursday evening, so Mrs NNN told me to bugger off with the camera. Went out and as night fell, thought that I'd have a look at location access. Yep, was easily doable.

Went back the next evening, got in, and that was as far I would go by myself. My usual buddy couldn't make it the next week, so a local explorer on another forum joined me. We got in again and then discovered someone else had been in, as a ladder was in situ making life much, much easier.

A little, bit of History; Accrington Conservative Club was one the largest ConClub in the UK. On its top floor was an impressive sprung ballroom, again one of the largest in the UK. Its impressive facade belies the rather insignificant location. In later years, it was known as Churchills Nightclub, which closed down in 2004 following the death of a customer.

Since then it has been left to rot, a number of arson attacks over the years have taken its toll on the interior. The current owner has plans to demolish the building, keeping the frontage and developing the site into apartments, restaurants and a gym.

Have a look;

8703262720_0f2edc0868_z.jpg

External by nicky_nacky_noo, on Flickr

8703263298_dacb2f7618_z.jpg

Security by nicky_nacky_noo, on Flickr

8703264768_5fe6db9178_z.jpg

Accringtons Premier Nightspot by nicky_nacky_noo, on Flickr

8702148265_a7e8dd580b_z.jpg

Going Down by nicky_nacky_noo, on Flickr

8702150299_ff3b8d0051_z.jpg

Ballroom Blitz by nicky_nacky_noo, on Flickr

8702152865_e4fc63aa3c_z.jpg

Ballroom B&W by nicky_nacky_noo, on Flickr

8702152059_2920925e9e_z.jpg

Attic by nicky_nacky_noo, on Flickr

8702157987_6dabcc2fc1_z.jpg

I've drunk in worse places than this by nicky_nacky_noo, on Flickr

Cheers

nickynackynoo has hit the ground running with a first post cracker.

:band:

Very nice indeed Great write and pics as always a win win combination.

Welcome to the forum thank you for the share

SK :jump

Edited by skeleton key

Guest Scattergun

Bloody hell! You didn't half smash onto the forum eh? Stunning :D

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By sj9966
      I nipped over last night to check the fire damage.
      The only building that was on fire is the St Mary's building (which was a nurses home not a care home as I have written in this report). It has suffered damage to the right hand side of the building but is not totally burned out.

There is a planning application submitted to demolish most of the buildings on the site including St Edwards. As far as I could see there has been no descision made on it yet.
      http://planning.northwarks.gov.uk/portal/servlets/AttachmentShowServlet?ImageName=253942
      I also found this on the net (link below), it gives the whole history and a detailed report on all the buildings. There is still some unseen stuff here notably the chapel within the former St Gerards Hospital which is now offices. If demo goes ahead I'm sure it will become more accesible. It will be a shame to see these buildings go as it's a great urbex site imo.

• By The Urban Collective
      The old abandoned farmhouse - Charnock Richard - Chorley - Feb 2018

One of my favourite explores so far this old abandoned farmhouse was brimming with history and fortunately, we made it just before the bulldozers did.

I've seen plenty of footage of this old place on the web and it seems we made it just after the foliage had been pruned lol.

A quality explore with quality likeminded people.

Churchills Pub Bolton - Feb 2018

This week on Bygone Pubs we take a look into the derelict Grade two listed #Churchills #pub in #Bolton #Lancashire Formerly #TheRoseHillTavern.
      Many a #BoltonWanderers fan will remember a match day at Burnden Park then off to Churchills for a good old pint.
      Unfortunately, though the memories are all that remains.

The Old Sodality Club #Leigh Lanc's

This video is the first of my new series #bygonepubs where Il be documenting the steady decline of these wonderful gathering holes as the corporations' franchises and chains etc increase their stamp on society.

I've had wonderful feedback from many people since posting this video on "cough cough" Facebook, who've told me many wonderful stories about the place before it was lost to economic decline thank's to the powers that be.

I believe the place closed in 2010 ish and was once a popular watering hole for many a denizen. From parties to football to darts and karaoke the place once bustled with the familiar tone's of friendship and alcoholism "Swigs his Guinness".
      You can almost hear the faint echoes of the past in places like these so I'd like to share my documentation of the place in a video format as I did not get many pics.

Thanks for any feedback guys.

PEACE

The Urban Collective
      We Film It...

• By Space Invader
      Found this place a ltttle disappointing to start with many of the rooms were plain white wash shells but then i found the staircase. Which made up for what the rest of the place lacked right on with the pics ...
      a little history...
      Thanet Place was a large mansion with gardens overlooking the sea, previously owned by the “Beef Baron�, Sir Edmund Vesty, which was 400 yards away from the old home. This catered for 24 residential & 20 day care children. All the suitable furniture & fittings were bought to the new house, even the memorial clock which ticked away for many years in the entrance hall of the old St Marys, was given pride of place in the new entrance hall. Though considerably smaller the new premises even had its own chapel.
      in 1982 Kent County Council withdrew its financial support for the Home claiming that at £1,600 per week it was too expensive to use, & refused to send anymore children there. A massive protest campaign to save St Marys from closure was backed by the Archbishop & Dean of Canterbury, the Bishops of Maidstone & Dover, plus social workers & head teachers, all supported by a petition of 4,000 signatures. Even the Queen Mother expressed sympathy in a letter, but St Marys finally closed in 1983, & downsized once again, and the house was made into an old peoples home ...

thanks for looking