skeleton key

Inverkip Power Station chimney demolished 30/07/2013

Guest Dubbednavigator

For a place that had been mothballed/derelict for so long, it wasnt exactly touristy was it?

For a place that had been mothballed/derelict for so long, it wasnt exactly touristy was it?

It was right up in the arse end of Scotland so us Southern Shandies from Engerland probably couldn't muster up the time to do it...it would probably have taken less time to get to Belgium for me than to get to Inverkip!

Guest Dubbednavigator
It was right up in the arse end of Scotland so us Southern Shandies from Engerland probably couldn't muster up the time to do it...it would probably have taken less time to get to Belgium for me than to get to Inverkip!

Speaks the truth.

Ive driven to Glasgow and nevis twice, cant say that was the most enjoyable way to spend 12 hours....

Brought these English Explorers up here to the arse end of Scotland.

Sadly the demo work had been ongoing for a year or so and never got to explore it myself. Just have to do other stuff like cottages now, thats all thats left up in poor old Scotland.

Inverkip Derpstep

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By farmer.ned
      it was actually a last minute decision to visit this explore.
      en route home from doing the manton colliery explore i passed the fomer pumping station at bracebridge with a shall i or sha,nt i so a quick turn round of the car 
      i squeezed in behind some twat in a skoda who thought it a very good idea to park across the entrance who then decided to move and the explore was on.

Built in 1881 Bracebridge Pumping Station was part of Worksop's new sewage system. It used two steam-driven beam engines (together with a travelling crane) to pump the sewage to the effluent processing facility. The engine was coal-fired, with the coal being brought in from nearby Shireoaks Colliery by boat via the Chesterfield Canal. Like many Victorian pumping stations it was built with no little style, designed in an Italian Romanesque style including ornate cast-iron columns and a spiral staircase. Apparently these remain inside (the columns are most definitely visible on external view).

Now Grade II Listed, the building along with 1.33 acres of land is currently bricked yp to prevent access so sorry no interior shots 
      the old pumping station has been like this since it was refurbished many years ago there was talk of turning it into an attraction but nothing has happened yet and possibly wont do for the forseeable future

the old pumping station viewed from high hoe road

the old beds still filled with water

one of the victorian columns can still be seen through the windowless building

rising upwards towards the ornate chimney
      a closer view of the ornate victorian columns

the base of the chimney from the back of the pumping house

the rear of the pumphouse

the rear of the pumphouse and chimney

the middle of the chimney with the lightning conductor on the right

the top of the chimney and the lightning conductor

someone had gained access inside by a rope tied to one of the windows but feeling a bit cream crackered i didnt fancy the tarzan routine so i didnt bother

• By Punk
      History

Owned and operated by Philadelphia Electric Company (now Exelon), the Port Richmond power generation station was built from 1919 to 1925. Designed by architect John T. Windrim and engineer W.C.L. Eglin, the coal-fired electrical generation plant was placed into service in 1925 and the station’s Neoclassical Revival design was used by the company to reflect permanence, stability, and responsibility. As designed, the station was to contain three distinct generating components; each component was to consist of a boiler house to produce steam, a turbine hall, and a switch gear building to control power distribution. At its peak, the Port Richmond station’s four huge steam turbines had a capacity of 600 megawatts.

Explore

This was the first mooch of a 3 week trip to the States.
      Philadelphia was a very interesting experience. Within 36 hours of arriving in Philly, I witnessed a racial gun incident, got pulled by the local law enforcement and saw a cop attacked with a firework. A week before I arrived the Eagles won their first Superbowl and the locals trashed the city in celebration. Interesting city, Philadelphia.
      Mooched around here with a guy from Montana and we enjoyed a few beers while walking around. Nice quiet explore, only interrupted when a scrappy followed us around briefly. I had been looking forward to this for months, and it was made better by the mist that had rolled in from the Delaware River.

(1)

(4)

(5)

(6)

(7)

(8)

(9)

(10)

(11)

(12)

(13)

(14)

(15)

(

(16)

(17)

(18)

(19)

(20)

(21)

(22)

(23)

(24)

(25)

Cheers for Looking

• By Landie_Man
      I visited this site on two separate occasions; once in early April with a non-explorer friend; and again a week later with Mookster and our American Explorer friend who is over on a uni placement. 
      The site is in the middle of a busy town, right on the main road and is in pretty good condition; not surprising as it only closed in  December 2017.  Inside its very very bare and only a few features redeem it.  It's nice and relaxed and all the power is still on, meaning that the cell panic alarms work and can be silenced from the central panel.  

Brentwood is one of several Police Stations in Essex to close recently; Tim and I explored Witham Station on the first visit.

The Police Station was built in 1937 and In December 2015 it was announced by Police and Crime Commissioner Nick Alston, that 15 police stations were to be closed to the public in Essex as part of a £63million spending cut. Brentwood Police Station was one of the 9 Police Stations closing completely. He stated that the buildings were buildings were no longer fit for purpose.
      "Police officers, not buildings, fight crime," Chief Constable Stephen Kavanagh said.

"We spend too much on too many police buildings, many of which are either no longer fit for policing or are hardly used by the public to report crime.
      Bentwood Police station was eventually closed to the public in April 2016, and was finally fully vacated by the Police in December 2017. 

Police Operations have now moved to the local Town Hall. The building was closed as it cost £10million per year in running costs, and would have cost a further £30million in maintenance to bring it to modern standards. 

Kemsley LLP have recently announced the earmarking of Brentwood Police Station for proposed residential development. The former Police Station extends to approximately 2.75 acres and a planning application is to be submitted for 70-100 dwellings as part new builds,and part conversion of existing buildings.

More At:
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/landie_man/albums/72157696171022175
    • By Faith Roswell
      Have any of you missed a site: somewhere that was torn down, redeveloped or closed off just before you had the chance to visit and look around?
      I had a very quick look at this quarry but it was demolished just before I had planned to go back and climb stuff!
      Full report is here http://www.lifeoutthere.co.uk/2018/04/18/the-quarry-that-got-away/

What was your "one that got away"?