Nitro

Wassup guys! Edinburgh reporting for duty!

Evening chaps (& chappettes!)

Been browsing the forum a bit and like the feel and vibe of it compared to other sites I've been on!

Not gonna lie, seen some of Baron's Belgium pics, amongst others, on Facebook and they were sublime which brought me here!

I've not been able to find a group of explorers up here in Edinburgh but seems like a few of you guys are from around the central belt?

Wouldn't mind getting to know you's better and starting to tag along next time round. Happy to travel and what not.

Anyone able to point me in the direction of the folk up here that are friendly enough to welcome a 'new' explorer? Would really appreciate it guys!

I've done a fair few explores up here and in the North East of England which have all been covered in depth before but have a list as long as my arm!

Keep up the good work guys, in awe at a lot of the photos!

Cheers for the help,

Nitro

Get some of your location pics up mate we are a friendly bunch show us what youve done etc..i do think we have a fair few from your neck of the woods and are all good people..:)

Welcome along Nitro, plenty to see up here in Scotland! Good to have you on board and hope to see some reports up soon!

Hello nitro. The Scottish contingent appears to be growing :)

didnt someone build a wall to keep you lot in or out :o

Guest Scattergun

No worries nitro mate. Aye fat lot of good that did Wevs. Besides we've got Mel Gibson and he's a mental head.

I just signed up.

I'm from Edinburgh as well.. since theres already a thread going i thought id say hello here rather than start a new one.

I just signed up.

I'm from Edinburgh as well.. since theres already a thread going i thought id say hello here rather than start a new one.

welcome along mate..your own thread would have been fine tho but its cool you have said hello :)

I just signed up.

Hello and welcome MercV, feel free to start your own hello thread! :thumb Look forward to seeing your explorations :)

Wall didn't work I'm afraid, I made it passed lol

Welcome to the forum from a fellow Scot in exile!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Admin
      Hello JohnUrbex,
      Welcome to Oblivion State. Please feel free to browse around and get to know the others. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.
      JohnUrbex joined on the 05/14/2018.
      View Member
    • By AndyK!
      We had no idea how we would get on here. After driving through the night and arriving in the early hours, our entry was just awful! As we sat in the freezing cold, and the light started to appear at the windows, we could see it was worth the effort. Visited with @SpiderMonkey, obvs!

History

The Royal High School was constructed between 1826 to 1829 on the south face of Calton Hill in Edinburgh, at a cost of £34,000. Of this £500 was given by King George IV ‘as a token of royal favour towards a School, which, as a royal foundation, had conferred for ages incalculable benefits on the community’. It was designed in a neoclassical Greek Doric style by Thomas Hamilton, who modelled the portico and Great Hall on the Hephaisteion of Athens.

After the Old Royal High School was vacated in 1968, the building became available and was refurbished to accommodate a new devolved legislature for Scotland. However, the 1979 devolution referendum failed to provide sufficient backing for a devolved assembly. Its debating chamber was later used for meetings of the Scottish Grand Committee, the committee of Members of Parliament in the United Kingdom House of Commons with constituencies in Scotland. Subsequently, the building has been used as offices for departments of Edinburgh City Council, including The Duke of Edinburgh’s Award unit and the Sports and Outdoor Education unit.

With the passage of the Scotland Act 1998 and the introduction of Scottish devolution in 1999, the Old Royal High School was again mooted as a potential home for the new Scottish Parliament. Eventually, however, the Scotland Office decided to site the new legislature in a purpose-built structure in the Holyrood area of the Canongate. A number of uses have been suggested for the building, including a home for a Scottish National Photography Centre. As of 2015, Edinburgh City Council – the building’s current owners – have initiated a project to lease the building to be used as a luxury hotel.

Finally a few shots of the grand neoclassical exterior...

• By bazross
      HI guys new member posting for the first time
      Joined some time back but then got put on the backburner for a while
      finding it hard to get into really and could do with some guidance as I'm alone in my interests in my circle of friends and could do with some pointers.
      I'm in the NW of England  and not sure of the protocol on this but looking maybe to tag along with some experienced explorers in my area if that is at all possible
      Regards Baz
    • By hmltnangel
      Ok, first post on here, so hope you enjoy. Just a small explore from middle of last year but an interesting little one one nonetheless. 

The Royal Victoria closed bit by bit over the last few years, finally becoming empty last year. Each time we pitched up there was always something still active so we accidentally left it a bit too long without checking. Big mistake, the neds burnt half the place to the ground and a sh!tload was demod to make it safe. 

Anyway, we managed to explore a good but of it but only took photos of the main block. The old Victorian building despite looking externally brilliant - has been so modernised inside there is no hall anymore - just a bunch of admin rooms. 

Enough babbling - on with the pics

Main Entrance
      _DSC2237 by Dale Hamilton, on Flickr

Inside the Main Entrance
      _DSC2229 by Dale Hamilton, on Flickr

Staircase
      _DSC2228 by Dale Hamilton, on Flickr

Sink anyone?
      _DSC2227 by Dale Hamilton, on Flickr

Ward
      _DSC2224 by Dale Hamilton, on Flickr

Spotless Ward