thecrazyfool

Tapioca Farm, Belgium – July, 2013

Somewhere in the lush Belgium countryside lies Tapioca Farm abandoned and derelict. A time capsule of times past. The Farm feels like the Mary Celeste, where the owner has just left. His possessions lie there waiting to be reclaimed by him but not knowing that he has passed.....

It seems finding any history of this place is neigh impossible, but the place speaks for itself. Small but powerful with it's own history to tell.

Pictures:

267A0832-836_zps0c313b36.jpg

267A0846-850_zps30a6be68.jpg

267A0916_zps5d309980.jpg

267A0868_69_70_71_tonemapped_zps5b0878ac.jpg

267A0895-899_zpse88ca0c9.jpg

267A0920_zps6f244cec.jpg

This place sums up all that is to be admired about Belgian explorers.

It has such a high footfall of people through it yet almost all of it has been left pretty much as-is since 1995. Despite how many people know where it is and it's comparative 'tourist' status amongst Belgian explorers it's still an incredible time capsule of a location, one of the very best there has been.

And yet there are still those who say we have no say over what happens to locations...

Guest Scattergun

These little places continue to amaze me in the fact they're left untouched and forgotten, completely different mentality to the 'lets wreck it' attitude of the UK. Of course media coverage doesn't help. It's probably a good thing there's no history on the place, if it was well known it wouldn't look like that!

Excellent set mate.

It's funny this place, I've heard horror stories of mad locals guarding it like hawks, then on my visit in March we walked straight in, and on the visit in July (where I chose to sleep in the car and talk to the horses) my group were about to go in but bumped into a woman outside who once she saw the cameras etc was fine...weird place.

Guest Scattergun

Guess it's just who you meet. We bumped into a local at HF6 who didn't seem to remotely mind us being there once he realised we were just takiin pictures. I have a feeling site security might have taken a different approach, not that we saw any..

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By crabb
      As usual with our explores, they are never really a walk in the park. Access to the building itself was a challenge as the top area in which we needed to go was locked off completely. Thankfully, being quite adapted to the tasks at hand, we managed to ride on top of a lift to gain access to the building. 
      Once inside it was clear that the building was in quite a bad state. Natural erosion has started eating away at the 60 year old building, and rust can be found throughout.
      Pigeons were lurking in the crevices and the whole place smelt of damp. 
      The building was a former office block but has been abandoned for 20 or more years.
      Here is some of the best photos we managed to get. Thanks for looking! 
      C

P.S - Check out our channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/Kirbsvids

• By SouthCoastUrbex
      Hi all!

Just a quick one this time, we decided to visit an old abandoned boatyard which also had an old car place inside as well. We couldn't find to much history on this one however it was nicely buried away in some trees/bushes along the side of the South Coast.

Hope you enjoy the footage!

• By little_boy_explores
      The history 

A two-storey mill built in 1831 which resides two miles west of the town centre of Huddersfield. The Financial Reporting Council (FCR) of 1834 shows Armitage Bros already established here. The family name 'Armitage' pre-dates the 14th century, but it was Joseph Armitage (1778-1860) who significantly increased the family fortune and moved decisively into the gentry class. In 1822 he built the first woollen manufacturing mill at Milnsbridge, by the 1840's he handed over control of the business to his sons, who reconstituted it as a partnership called Armitage Bros, which survived until it became a limited company. By 1914 it was part of John Crowther's group. In the late 19th century John Crowther and his two sons moved from Marsden down the Clone Valley to Milnsbridge after purchasing two mills, where they began the successful production of woollen cloth. Crowther took his own life in 1931 and its thought that the death of his wife and the great depression were cumulative in this. Today parts of the mill are rented to a few small business, elsewhere derelict.

The explore

It's not often where in this neck of the woods... but when we are we always take a trip down Factory Lane. We've attempted this a few times... gates drawn, security breathing down our necks or locals asking us our intentions... seems if your walking round an abandoned building your the local scrap man even though your donning DSLR cameras. Anyway... been one of Crowther's we knew we were in for a treat. so.. sitting waiting.. waiting a bit more... we were in. The sheer size, the beautiful architecture, the remains of the mid century furniture... thank f*uck we drove down for a look. It looks like some of the mill buildings have been demolished at some point... but even so this place is huge!!! On entrance we were presented by a grand entrance hall which led into various areas of the mill... Of note was the sheer amount of mid- century furniture scattered around the mill... an entire floor decked with Parkay flooring... and a rather odd looking exercise bike that reminded us of a SinclairsC-5... we even came across a quad bike dumped in one of the corners of the mill. We loved it hear... its full of little gems hidden here and there we spent quite some time at the old mill as where not sure if we will be able to access this again...

Some pics

lbe 
    • By zombizza
      I know this place has been done many times before but it is right up my alley and was a tantalizing temptation whilst the rest of the family slept/swam in the villa pool.
      Thanks for the tip from a fellow member here. The last report/intel from here was 2014 so it has been a while.
      Things have changed security wise. The holes are patched up and there are 2 new heras style fences inside the main boundary. The main problem with these was that the point of tackling them was very exposed to the street  and adjacent dock.
      Inside, not much has changed.
      The 'slot window' access point was amusing, the width being about an inch narrower than my back to chest distance and the height being about 4inches shorter than my groin to shoulder height. It took some contorting, and at one point I thought I was well and truly stuck, but in the end, I managed-I was too close to give up.

6am start meant it was a bit dark for photography. By the time I got out, the families were on their balconies and I yelled Ola to them as I jumped over the 4th and final barrier to safety.

It was constructed in 1958 according to a design by the Spanish architect Ramón Vázquez Molezún.
      Running gear and T/G were provided by Metropolitan Vickers.
      In 1986 The Spanish government commissioned a new Powerplant around 10km away on the other side of the bay. 
      The plant was closed in 1991/2.

The 2 rooms I really came for-

• By obscureserenity
      Town Mansion 

History

The Town Mansion was originally built in 1912 by a wealthy petroleum importer. During the early 20th century, the area in which the mansion was built, had become a hub for many rich German families in the early 1900's. By 1918, once the First World War had come to an end and the town was heavily damaged by the intense bombing raids at the start of the war and then German occupation of Belgium in 1914. Only two houses in that street survived, the Town Mansion being one of those. It was then later occupied by a Belgium shipbuilder until the late 1960's, when it was used as an office space. The mansion was abandoned in 1991 and hasn't been formally resided in since.

Visit

Visited with @PROJ3CTM4YH3M and a non forum member. As I recall it was a particularly hot spring day and we all excited to see this location, partly to escape from the intense heat. Once we got inside we spent a short amount of time wandering around before we eagerly started taking our pictures. I can confidentially say that this is one of the grandest mansions in Belgium I have visited. I did wonder what the lives of the families that once inhabited it were like and the memories they must have had. It was a very enjoyable explore for me and as always, I hope you enjoy my photos!

If you got this far, thanks for reading